Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:14:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Preseason: A Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: How would you like to see preseason handled?
Keep it as is.  4 preseason   -7 (43.8%)
Cut it in half.  2 preseason   -5 (31.3%)
Eliminate it.  0 preseaon   -4 (25%)
Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Preseason: A Poll  (Read 3402 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:40:08 pm »

And depending on your answer, if you reduce preseason games, do you extend the regular season to compensate?

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »

Cut it in half and extend the regular season by 2 games...if that works then eliminate it and extend the regular season by 4 games.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:58:04 pm »

Keep it at four, but don’t televise it, don’t allow fan or media in the stands and invoke a policy of a life time ban for any player or coach who reports the results to the media. 

That way teams can still prepare for the season without annoying fans not interested in the preseason.  /sarcasm off.

If you aren’t interested in preseason don’t watch it.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:11 pm »

I'm interested in it hurting the sport.  Injuries, over-saturation just to name a few.

I say to get rid of it.  I would be fine with adding nothing, but owners probably won't like that, so 18 games with an extra bye week seems reasonable.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:33 pm »

On 1 hand I love the idea of 2 preseason games,and adding 2 to the regular season...More Football! I'd question if it was be 2 better games,or just more major injuries to "star"injuries.A lot of starters don't play much the 1st 2 games,and the 4th game...It's only the 3rd crucial game that the majority of starting players play the most of the game.

I'm not sure the quality of those extra games at the beginning,or games at the end of the season for teams that clinched,and teams that are completely out of the playoffs...

Ehh....I'd be fine with 2,with the same size season,but would be open to more joint practices...I don't think the owners would go for cutting 2 preseason games.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:10:58 pm »

I'm interested in it hurting the sport.  Injuries, over-saturation just to name a few.

I say to get rid of it.  I would be fine with adding nothing, but owners probably won't like that, so 18 games with an extra bye week seems reasonable.

Your argument makes no sense to me. You can't argue you worry about injuries,  argue that the star players are barely on the field,  argue it creates over saturation,  then argue to add regular season games where the stars are more exposed to injury. I get you don't like the preseason but you are putting one point and then the other.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 10:08:08 pm »

Dave's position is perfectly consistent.  Injuries during exhibition games are unnecessary and entirely avoidable.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:15:56 pm »

I'm not going to back and forth on Dave's position with anyone else. It just doesn't seem right.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 01:12:35 am »

I take a nearly identical position to Dave's on this issue, for what it's worth.  I think that, particularly in the London/TNF era, a second bye week really needs to happen regardless of whether they add two more regular season games or not.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 10:10:04 am »

My position seems pretty consistent to me.  The risk of injury is high just from the nature of playing more games, but also presumably because the players are at different speeds.  Some guys are less skilled and try-harding to get a spot on the roster and other guys are going 3/4 speed just to get a feel for the game and not injure themselves.

This dis-incentivizes you from playing your starters, so what's the point of all of it?

I just don't see why teams practicing is a product that you're selling to the public.  I could MAYBE see reducing it to 2 games with a bye week before the season...and maybe adding another bye week into the year.

As Spider says, TNF really screws up the flow of a schedule and needs to be accounted for somehow.  Those games are bad and there's just not enough prep or recovery time.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:20:59 am »

4 games is fine.   However if you really want to cut down on player injuries, cut the season back to 14 games.  You'll have room for extra bye weeks and the Superbowl can come back to January.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 10:57:28 am »

My position seems pretty consistent to me.  The risk of injury is high just from the nature of playing more games, but also presumably because the players are at different speeds.  Some guys are less skilled and try-harding to get a spot on the roster and other guys are going 3/4 speed just to get a feel for the game and not injure themselves.

This dis-incentivizes you from playing your starters, so what's the point of all of it?

I just don't see why teams practicing is a product that you're selling to the public.  I could MAYBE see reducing it to 2 games with a bye week before the season...and maybe adding another bye week into the year.

As Spider says, TNF really screws up the flow of a schedule and needs to be accounted for somehow.  Those games are bad and there's just not enough prep or recovery time.

I don't disagree with your position being consistent, it is your talking points that conflict each other to me. You complain about player safety then propose more regular season games which I think everyone agrees increases the odds of injury. You argue preseason creates over saturation but everyone acknowledges NFL viewing is down already and over saturation has been a theory. Adding more regular season games doesn't combat that either.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 11:38:42 am »

I don't disagree with your position being consistent, it is your talking points that conflict each other to me. You complain about player safety then propose more regular season games which I think everyone agrees increases the odds of injury.

I see.  I'm not proposing more regular season games.  I'm fine with the 16.  I just think that in order to get the deal done, the owners need to be compensated for loss of income from TV rights and attendance and more games would do that.  But if owners would get rid of preseason and only have 16 games, I'm all for it.

So, remove 4 bullshit games, add 2 meaningful ones and a bye week.  It doesn't change the length of the season, really.  It gives owners revenue, but also addresses the slog of the season, TNF/London issues with an extra bye week for recovery.

Also, 18 games is a nice even number that allows you to play your division twice, 2 rotating divisions within your conference and 1 non-conference division. 

16 games forces this weird strength of schedule issue because you're matching up teams against similarly ranked teams across the league.  It's fine and I don't mind, but it's less consistent and it delays determining the schedule until the season is over.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »

If we have 18 regular season games and another bye week does that mean starting the season in early August or are we having the Super Bowl in March?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »

Decrease the preseason, increase league games and then expand the roster to cover for injuries. Maybe even make each player to have to sit at least 1 game.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray