Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:46:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  You're the GM...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: You're the GM...  (Read 3457 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« on: August 30, 2018, 09:17:24 am »

Haven't done one of these in a long time.

You've just been named GM/President of Football operations of your own team.

Which offense do you want to put in?
What kind of defense do you run?

what is your general draft strategy?

Discuss.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:26:10 am »

My first move is to hire Kevin Kelley as assistant GM.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:33:37 am »

I want to find a coach that sees eye to eye with me in regard to the math of special teams.  Teams in the NFL punt way, way too much.  The statistics say that you should go for it in certain situations.  I would start there, with an understanding that the guy's job is not on the line for failure on 4th down.

Then, I think you hire guys and let them do their jobs.  Trust the process. 

I don't like drafting certain positions high, regardless of quality.  I don't want to see an RB taken in the top 10, for example.  Spend your money on the line, mostly.  Skimp/build internally on slot receiver, RB, etc.  I believe in strong DEs and Corners, but that might be changing with the rule changes, so I'd have to see.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 11:14:07 am »

I used to be President of one of the largest soccer clubs in the state so I had the opportunity of hiring and firing several Directors for the Girls, Boys and Youth Academy. I'm pretty sure I would run a football team in the same way. First off I would surround myself with proven mentors and then I would look for people who knew way more about soccer than I, had some successful experience, and then I would allow them to do their job in hiring whoever they wanted to coach teams and run the system they wanted to run. I would then judge them off of their results but would give them observed feedback as we went along.  I have a pretty good reputation of being supportive but also of holding them accountable. That's how I would also strive to run my football organization.     

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 11:17:22 am »

--Hire the most sought after coach
--Spend all available cap on the highest paid free agents
--Draft all players with off the field issues but are super talented
--Watch as the shit show ensues
--Get fired

I call that the Jerry Jones method
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:33:34 am »

I think it would depend on what crazy ass owner would hire me to run their team! (and What I've already got on the team...)

I think Dave is right on,in most of what he says.Except,I think you have to have quality LB's...

Ok,Ok...
~Depending on what is on the team roster,where is my good quality youth on the team IMO...Then go look for a guy to build the team for me...I'd have a preference away from an old school run the ball play good defense type guy,IMO the modern game you have to be able to score,and it might help us not take RB high in the 1st round type moves too..

1.) Go find a guy who knows how to build a team from the ground up in the draft.Assure him/her I'll give him a minimum of 5 years,you can lose Every game...and you're not going to be fired...
I feel like in this sense,yeah the fans,media,might be calling for his head,and we'll lose money. Too many teams abandon building,because they show signs of success,and then want to go spend in free agency to go father....That doesn't work for me...

Even in Baseball,you build a young core of guys,let them grow together,mature...

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:39:28 pm »

I would place an emphasis on depth.  I don’t want the league’s best (and most expensive RB).   I want 3 very good RBs.  I want a back up QB that can do more than hold a clip board.  The secondary is only as strong as my fourth and fifth best DB, regardless of how elite one of them is.  The offense line is only as good as the weakest member.  Trade down on any reasonable offer, don’t spend a ton on any single player in FA rather use the money for multiple very good players. 

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »

First thing I do is give Jimmy Garoppolo, Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch lifetime contracts.

Second thing I do is sit back and watch the Super Bowls roll in... Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 02:50:56 am »

I want to find a coach that sees eye to eye with me in regard to the math of special teams.  Teams in the NFL punt way, way too much.  The statistics say that you should go for it in certain situations.  I would start there, with an understanding that the guy's job is not on the line for failure on 4th down.
Dave, I agree with what you're saying, but this mindset can really only be executed by an owner, not a GM.  If Mike Tannenbaum hires a coach who goes for it on nearly every 4th down, and that coach is not immediately successful, both of them will be promptly shown the door.

I'm surprised that the NFL hasn't had a Mark Cuban-type owner who is willing to ignore tradition.  The closest person I can think of is (gulp) Dan Snyder, who is far too much of an incompetent grifter to effectively implement such a philosophy.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 09:31:25 am »

^ True.  As a GM, I'd try to influence the owner that that's how we thought we were going to gain an advantage.  ...by using math and facts over the good ole' boys coaching-tree network of "hand in the dirt" tradition, because it's the way we've always done it.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 09:46:49 am »

Dave, I agree with what you're saying, but this mindset can really only be executed by an owner, not a GM.  If Mike Tannenbaum hires a coach who goes for it on nearly every 4th down, and that coach is not immediately successful, both of them will be promptly shown the door.

I'm surprised that the NFL hasn't had a Mark Cuban-type owner who is willing to ignore tradition.  The closest person I can think of is (gulp) Dan Snyder, who is far too much of an incompetent grifter to effectively implement such a philosophy.

Let’s have the discussion in the spirit intended rather get technical about exactly how much power a GM has vs owner vs coach. Any decision can be overruled by an owner. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 10:11:05 am »

^ True.  As a GM, I'd try to influence the owner that that's how we thought we were going to gain an advantage.  ...by using math and facts over the good ole' boys coaching-tree network of "hand in the dirt" tradition, because it's the way we've always done it.
Lane Kiffin went for it ... and was more successful than anyone last year on 4th down. He has never played it that loose when he was on a team where the pressure to win was big.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 10:43:06 am »

Another thing I would do is go for 2 more often.  Particularly after a long pound and ground drive when the defense is tired and turnovers that result in a TD (defense might not be prepared).

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 02:55:42 pm »

slight hijack - Seeing that Khalil Mack ended up being traded to the Bears for two first round draft picks, instead of giving him the Monster Deal that he got, would you do this as GM?

I think it was the right thing for Oakland (Las Vegas) to do.  Sure Mack is in his prime, and a game changer, but paying out that much money really puts a crimp in what you can do in acquiring other free agents, not to mention trying to keep other players on your roster.  With the current salary system it's all about drafting well and using those guys up in their first five years, then dealing them off when they get expensive.  Two 1st round picks from a bad team like the Bears means two high first round, potentially game changers.

Looking back on Suh's time with the Dolphins he was a great player, but not worth the money.  If paying a player that kind of money I want to look back on the season and be able to say Team X would have lost those two or three games without the stunning play of said player.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 03:19:31 pm »

Brett Favre said about Rogers being the highest paid player ever (I'm paraphrasing):  "I don't know if anyone deserves that kind of money, but if there is someone, it's Aaron."  I think that's how most people feel, they could be in the prime of their career and be a superstar, and still not be worth the money paid.

Responding to masterfins, I agree, 2 first rounders that will likely be high first rounds is the better end of that deal, no matter how good Mack is.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray