Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:31 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Dallas police officer enters man's apartment and shoots him (split from anthem thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Dallas police officer enters man's apartment and shoots him (split from anthem thread)  (Read 45877 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 01:15:22 pm »

Interior would be easier to confuse but shouldn't there be a unit number posted? From what I heard this guy also had an identifiable welcome mat also.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 03:34:20 pm »

So, what some of you are claiming is that this person purposefully just walked into a strangers dwelling and murdered him out of the blue? What's the motive? Unless there's some info we don't know about or some history between the two. Then I'm not buying that scenario.

I dont know.  Maybe she went over to his apartment because he was playing his sterio too loud and things escalated.  Maybe the were lovers and she saw another women leaving his apartment.   Maybe it was as she claimed.  But the police have a duty to investigate rather than automatically assume she was telling the truth.   But they let her go back to her apartment and potentially destroy evidence rather than arrest.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 11:59:59 am »

She intended to kill. And I am not buying honest mistake, people don’t accidentally walk into the wrong apartment and not notice the furniture is wrong and start shooting.
Ok, let's get some facts or at least this is what has been reported in Dallas.

1) She didn't walk into the wrong apartment, she actually attempted to enter the apartment using her key but it didn't work (obviously) and the man opened the door and she shot him. Not saying that's the right response but she never saw the inside of the apartment to know it was not hers prior to shooting him.
2) She was not arrested on the scene because from my understanding the Dallas Police cannot arrest one of their own without a warrant. They actually had someone from the Texas Rangers make the arrest and it was the Texas Rangers that asked the Dallas Police to hold off on the warrant and the arrest until they had a chance to investigate. So while it may have seemed strange it was actually done to prevent any "special treatment" by the Dallas Police Department. This was not your average shooting so obviously it was handled somewhat differently but there was no ulterior motives here, they were just trying to follow proper procedures.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:21:06 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:35 pm »

No.  1st degree is premeditated. 2nd degree is intend to kill or reckless disregard for human life.  Manslaughter is negligent homocide. 

My take on this is that if this was an ordinary citizen (non-trained police officer), then I would tend to classify it as manslaughter.  However, as a trained police officer did this I would tend to classify this as 2nd degree murder.

It's kind of like a professional boxer getting in a fight and killing someone, versus an untrained fighter killing someone by punching them.  The professional is likely to get charged with murder, while the untrained person would likely be charged with manslaughter.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 02:06:25 pm »

1) She didn't walk into the wrong apartment, she actually attempted to enter the apartment using her key but it didn't work (obviously) and the man opened the door and she shot him. Not saying that's the right response but she never saw the inside of the apartment to know it was not hers prior to shooting him.

So she thought someone changed her lock and got her a welcome mat when they broke in.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »

Update, from a news story I just read (that came out 30 min. ago) - Per the Accused, she parked her vehicle on a level higher in the parking ramp than she normally does.  She wasn't even on the right floor of her apartment.  She didn't notice the victim's red doormat.  She put her key in the lock, but the door was already unlocked and she entered a dark apartment.  She saw the victim and started shooting.  She then turned on the light and realized she was in the wrong apartment.  As I said in a previous post, for an untrained individual this would be manslaughter, but for a trained professional it should be murder.  Cops shouldn't be shooting first and asking questions later.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 03:30:14 pm »

Update, from a news story I just read (that came out 30 min. ago) - Per the Accused, she parked her vehicle on a level higher in the parking ramp than she normally does.  She wasn't even on the right floor of her apartment.  She didn't notice the victim's red doormat.  She put her key in the lock, but the door was already unlocked and she entered a dark apartment.  She saw the victim and started shooting.  She then turned on the light and realized she was in the wrong apartment.  As I said in a previous post, for an untrained individual this would be manslaughter, but for a trained professional it should be murder.  Cops shouldn't be shooting first and asking questions later.
Well, if you go into (what you think) is your apartment and see someone standing there (in the dark). How do you know if that person has a weapon and about to use it on you. Trained or untrained, there is no way to know. If her story is legit, then this is a tragic accident.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 05:09:22 pm »

I can't agree with that. I don't think it matters if it's a cop or not, the legal system should be applied equally in my opinion. Either it's murder for both or manslaughter for both. Neither of them should be shooting first in my opinion, but the devil is in the details as they say. There may have been other mitigating factors here. Let the legal system sort it out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:12:23 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 05:30:57 pm »

If I understand correctly, it just so happens that the guy she killed was in the apartment directly above hers.  But I'm sure she had no outstanding beef with the tenant above her, as that would be exceedingly unusual.  Especially at night.

I don't know how locks work in that state, but over here in Cali, when you put the wrong key in a lock, the key itself won't turn even if the door is unlocked.  But this law enforcement officer probably doesn't have a deadbolt, or if she does, she doesn't use it when she leaves her home.  Cops are known for their casual disregard for personal security.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:19 am »

Hey guys, want to hear something that is totally unexpected?

Somehow this police officer seems to have been taking pictures with people making white supremacist hand signals!  Shocking, I know.

I anticipate that some here may try to downplay the significance of the hand signals being displayed.  If so, I encourage you to explain your point in detail and get your position on the record now before additional information comes out on this assuredly wonderful gentleman she is taking pictures with.

BTW, the "All Lives Matter" t-shirt is just... *chef's kiss*
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:00:46 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 08:38:13 am »

on a tangent, it strikes me as appropriate that the white supremacist secret signal is american sign language for asshole.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 10:55:46 am »

Don't know too much about this case so my statements'll be limited:

1. They indicted her for manslaughter, right? So, the state's more or less already admitting to the fact that the killing was unintentional, though still a killing.

2. What kind of manslaughter though? There're different degrees, and it's different for every state. There may be a degree of intentionality in some forms of manslaughter, though provocation would then still probably exist.

3. Looks a bit suspicious, what with the neighbor thing. Suspicious is just that though, suspicious - not proof beyond a RD. (Don't know what, if any evidence exists to show beef or bad relations between the two of them though.) That's why we have a court system, and moreover, remember Richard Jewell.

4. Feel terrible for the deceased. I hope this is honestly, truly a mistake. That doesn't make it any easier for people, of course, but, at least a mistake is just that, a mistake.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 11:00:49 am »

Hey guys, want to hear something that is totally unexpected?

Somehow this police officer seems to have been taking pictures with people making white supremacist hand signals!  Shocking, I know.

I anticipate that some here may try to downplay the significance of the hand signals being displayed.  If so, I encourage you to explain your point in detail and get your position on the record now before additional information comes out on this assuredly wonderful gentleman she is taking pictures with.

BTW, the "All Lives Matter" t-shirt is just... *chef's kiss*

OK Symbol 👌

"The "OK" Symbol is a hand gesture[7] typically used to signal that "all is well." The symbol has been frequently associated with supporters of the 45th President of the United States Donald Trump, with some speculating it is used by members of the alt-right to mimic a Smug Frog depiction of Pepe the Frog. Additionally, the symbol has been accused of being a symbol for "white power" following a 4chan hoax operation to trick news media outlets into reporting that it is a symbol of white supremacy."

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ok-symbol-%F0%9F%91%8C

Looks like you fell for it.  Don't believe everything Vox and HuffPo puts out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:10:40 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 11:21:35 am »

I mean...c'mon.  This isn't a mistake.  You don't have someone open the door to their own house and kill them thinking it's your house.  That is total bullshit on every level.  Your first instinct isn't to kill someone who answers the door. 

This is bullshit all over.  I don't know her motivations, but I'm sure they'll come out.  She meant to kill that guy...c'mon.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 11:21:54 am »

it's a "neighbor" .. from what i read it wasn't the apartment next door, it was the apartment in the same location as her apartment just one floor lower.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray