Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:13:26 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Former Dolphins Vontae Davis Retires...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Former Dolphins Vontae Davis Retires...  (Read 3184 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »

Not at all. You can fake many injuries like throwing your back out. There is no test to see if you actually pulled muscles. Pinched nerves yes, damaged disk yes ... but not muscles. Could of faked a concussion, stinger, dizziness, or headache.

Most of this stuff doesn't lead to IR either.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 12:15:38 am »

Pain and injury are separate things. They play with pain all the time and some even with injuries. A medical staff will spot a faker really quick.
If I say that I have recurring headaches and dizziness, what is a medical staff going to do about it... prove that my headaches are faked?  What if I say that have soreness in my knee, and I don't want to risk long-term damage with painkiller injections?

A medical staff can clear you as able to play, but they cannot evaluate your pain threshold.  While many players do choose to play through pain, there is no clause in their contract that specifies a minimum amount of pain that the player must play through.

If a player doesn't want to play, and chooses to claim that he is in too much pain to play safely, no team will force him on to the field.  They can cut him.  They can attempt to get back money that is guaranteed only for injury.  But fully guaranteed money is gone.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:47 am »

If I say that I have recurring headaches and dizziness, what is a medical staff going to do about it... prove that my headaches are faked?  What if I say that have soreness in my knee, and I don't want to risk long-term damage with painkiller injections?

A medical staff can clear you as able to play, but they cannot evaluate your pain threshold.  While many players do choose to play through pain, there is no clause in their contract that specifies a minimum amount of pain that the player must play through.

If a player doesn't want to play, and chooses to claim that he is in too much pain to play safely, no team will force him on to the field.  They can cut him.  They can attempt to get back money that is guaranteed only for injury.  But fully guaranteed money is gone.

And please reread every one of my posts and quote where I ever said anything about forcing a player onto the field to play. I simply said the trained medical staff would spot the faker. It actually seems you agree with me at the end when you bring up cutting the player so I'm not sure your point now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:18:52 am by Phishfan » Logged
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:40 am »

I have been very interested to hear what current announcers who were former players had to say about it.  Almost every single one of them has said the same thing.  If you decide during a game that you have had enough, you play the rest of the game and THEN quit.  To walk out on your teammates in the middle of a game is classless bullcrap.  In a sport where the concept of "team" is everything, that is about as selfish of a thing that a person can do.  I agree. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 11:07:12 am »

I have been trying to weigh out exactly how I feel about this. I wouldn't walk out on my team. I wouldn't respect a teammate that did. I wouldn't even walk out from an everyday job without providing notification either. This can't be something he just came up with unless he has a mental issue iI don't know of.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 11:41:43 am »

I have been trying to weigh out exactly how I feel about this. I wouldn't walk out on my team. I wouldn't respect a teammate that did. I wouldn't even walk out from an everyday job without providing notification either. This can't be something he just came up with unless he has a mental issue iI don't know of.
That's my feeling as well.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 01:29:31 pm »

I honestly didn't think it was real,I thought it was a joke or not for quite awhile...I saw the initial tweet by someone,and no known writers picked it up or mentioned the tweet,it just sat there for like an hour.I assumed it mean he was getting ass beat play,after play,perhaps got benched etc...(I was dealing with a work crisis)

I struggle with the way he did it,mostly,than he retired.Kind of the same thing Phish said...IMO It's the respect you have for your teammates,not to quit on them at halftime,and leave them hanging..

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 02:36:48 pm »

In related news, Antonio Brown did not show up for practice today in Steelerville.  They are saying he has a "personal issue" to attend to.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 03:12:57 pm »

In related news, Antonio Brown did not show up for practice today in Steelerville.  They are saying he has a "personal issue" to attend to.
On the day he missed he addressed a tweet as "Trade me let’s find out" to former Pittsburgh Steelers PR assistant Ryan Scarpino.  Obviously Pitt is having problems we haven't seen in the past.

Antonio Brown

Verified account

@AB84
Follow Follow @AB84
Antonio Brown Retweeted Ryan Scarpino
Trade me let’s find out

@RyanScarpino
AB needs to thank his lucky stars, because he was drafted by a team that had Ben. And Ben got AB paid. You know darn well he wouldn’t put up those numbers for other teams.
8:29 AM - 17 Sep 2018

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray