Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:21:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Media Bias
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Media Bias  (Read 36713 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: September 19, 2018, 04:50:20 pm »

General discussion about media bias.  Personally, ever since the election I have been nothing but pissed off at the media.  From FoxNews gagging on Trumps ween day in and day out to CNN trying to find any and everything they can to demonize the right, people forget, WE are who they are pointing their blowholes at.  Things used to be more subtle, CNN used to be more down the middle and Fox wasn't as far to the right.  Now, you can't find an unbiased new source, even PBSNewshour is left leaning.  I guess the Economist is the closest I'll get?  Regardless, I've watched the media on both sides add so much fuel to this fire, THEY are what are really tearing this country apart.  Guess what?  White supremacy is not over taking us (Only hundreds showed up to the biggest “alt-right” meeting in the country.)  Cops are not slaughtering as many unarmed blacks as the media would have you think--This is certainly a sensitive issue that shouldn't be ignored, but it's being blown up with factual inaccuracies that are weakening the argument.  Bringing up alleged sexual abuse from a 17 year old 36 years ago, RIGHT BEFORE he is appointed to the supreme court?  Pretty convenient timing there.  Way to take a movement like #metoo and use it for political gains.  That's not the media though, it's the nonstop coverage on it, like this weak ass accusation will stick long enough to delay this until elections...pretty pathetic.

The right is just as bad (notice how I say just as bad?  That's correct, they aren't worse than the left, they're equally shitty).  Trump has no scandals according to them, they'd rather talk about how evil the Democrats are EVERY FUCKING DAY!  It's terrible how many people I know that have taken sides based on half truths and factual inaccuracies...and if you want to go down the rabbit hole of what source is what and who is presenting the facts, and ultimately and most importantly what their agenda is...you'll be researching all damn day.  This is not what the news is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:56:50 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:45:11 pm »

Your last line is a common mistake I hear all the time and try to point out. What you are describing isn't news, they are commentary shows. News is fact based stories then go to the next. Commentary is a roomful of people giving their opinions on what should be news.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:25:40 pm »

I think there's a media bias towards balance.
That's an intolerable bias. Facts don't have balance, they are facts.
If you report negatively about a serial rapist rapist, you don't put on a serial rapist on your show to have balance.
If trump says something dog shit stupid.. you don't put on a trump mouthpiece for balance.. report that he said something dog shit stupid and move on.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:31:44 pm »

Bringing up alleged sexual abuse from a 17 year old 36 years ago, RIGHT BEFORE he is appointed to the supreme court?  Pretty convenient timing there.

so what ? Don't try to rape people and this shit won't come up when you're trying to get fast tracked onto the supreme court.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:25:52 pm »

Fau nailed it.

The idea that there should be balance at all times, even when one side is trying to put a pedophile in the Senate, or elected officials saying that people who are flipped by law enforcement are bad guys...  it's insanity.

If you look at today's GOP and think that the problem is that the media needs to be calling things down the middle more, you're part of the problem.  You want balance, not truth... and such a situation will inevitably favor the most shameless liars.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 11:01:30 am »

Your last line is a common mistake I hear all the time and try to point out. What you are describing isn't news, they are commentary shows. News is fact based stories then go to the next. Commentary is a roomful of people giving their opinions on what should be news.
I disagree. If you look at CNN news page they interject their opinion into most stories as does Fox ... even to the point they choose to omit information to skew their point. It's really hard to find someone reporting news without doing that. You almost have to read both sides to form any realistic opinion.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:04:48 am »

^^ Just because you call it a news site doesn't mean it isn't actually commentary. I can call a pile of dog poo an apple pie, would you eat it?

The reason you have a hard time finding it is because of a few reasons:

1) advertising dollars should never be associated with the news. Click bait is what you are dealing with at that point.
2) people are not looking for actual news any more. They are looking for something to validate their own opinions. The "news" said X, about this so I am vindicated in the belief I already had.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:12:48 am by Phishfan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 11:08:49 am »

A few points.  

There is a difference between bias and agenda.  Every reporter and person has some bias.  You are going to have a side you prefer. News organizations such have CNN, Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street journal all have reporters with bias.  And a mix of biases that vary reporter to reporter, but they STRIVE to be fair.  Fox News has agenda —- talking points are handed out.

Got this off facebook. “Journalism is not reporting A said it was sunny and B said it is raining.  Journalism requires you to outside and find out what the fucking weather is”. Reporting Trump lied about X, is not biased reporting.  Having climate change deniers on is as stupid as having a flat-earther on every time NASA launches a satalite.  

There is a difference between having an opinion and making shit up.  Yes Vox is slanted. But it is fact based. It uses hard data from verifiable sources.  Beirtbiet just makes stuff up.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 11:36:59 am »

so what ? Don't try to rape people and this shit won't come up when you're trying to get fast tracked onto the supreme court.
You've made up your mind that he's an attempted rapist.  I don't think he is.  It is way too convenient for this to come out now of all times.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:06:56 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:39:07 am »

Fau nailed it.

The idea that there should be balance at all times, even when one side is trying to put a pedophile in the Senate, or elected officials saying that people who are flipped by law enforcement are bad guys...  it's insanity.

If you look at today's GOP and think that the problem is that the media needs to be calling things down the middle more, you're part of the problem.  You want balance, not truth... and such a situation will inevitably favor the most shameless liars.
You seem to think those two are mutually exclusive, they aren't.  I want balance and truth, the whole truth not half truths to push an agenda.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 11:39:54 am »

I agree, but these commentary shows are parading as news.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:56:41 am »

Fau is right on.

To take something non-political, anti-vaxers -- they shouldn't get equal time, they shouldn't have a voice.  Journalists should interview the experts, understand the reporting, and report on what is correct.  ...not have a single quack weirdo espousing bullshit next to a scientist that represents 99% of the scientific community. 

But this applies to politics, as well.  If a politician says something verifiably false, it is not smearing them or biased to call them a liar.  It is factual reporting.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 12:01:24 pm »

If someone tries to do anything illegal to you, it should be reported within a reasonable amount of time. Anything over 30 days is complete bullshit. If you don't do anything about it, at that point it's your fucking problem. This whole circus is nothing but a lefty con job. If these women can't prove their allegations they should start hold them accountable with a flat 5 year sentence of hard labor. That Blasey Ford chick is a nutty flake.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 12:05:05 pm »

Fau is right on.

To take something non-political, anti-vaxers -- they shouldn't get equal time, they shouldn't have a voice.  Journalists should interview the experts, understand the reporting, and report on what is correct.  ...not have a single quack weirdo espousing bullshit next to a scientist that represents 99% of the scientific community. 

But this applies to politics, as well.  If a politician says something verifiably false, it is not smearing them or biased to call them a liar.  It is factual reporting.
You are correct. However, it's more about omission of factual reporting. A Republican lie will get 10 times the exposure of a Democrat lie. That's the issue.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 02:01:25 pm »

30-day statute of limitations for rape, with 5 years of hard labor for accusers that can't prove the rape occurred?  Interesting take.

I'm also watching the Handmaid's Tale.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray