Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:45:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Media Bias
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Media Bias  (Read 36540 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:52 pm »

while we're at it, why not jail people for life if they jaywalk and don't self report it
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 02:29:17 pm »

^^ Just because you call it a news site doesn't mean it isn't actually commentary. I can call a pile of dog poo an apple pie, would you eat it?

If it came with a side of ice cream, and CNN told me that downing that stinky pile would somehow get Trump impeached?

Probably not...but I might be tempted to hold my nose and dig in. Wink

In regards to the whole media bias topic, I just apply filters to everything I read, regardless of site, and I try to access a local news source to verify things. I think of myself as middle with a left lean and a right cross (I want to help everyone, but I don't want to pay for it), so I just assume that every source I read has its own agenda.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 02:31:24 pm »

I think both of you fail to realize that it's been 35 years. And now she's saying that Monday is too early to testify. 35 years wasn't long enough? You need more time? LMFAO, what a joke.

Like I said, if someone does something to you and you don't report it promptly, then fuck you, it's your problem. False accusations shouldn't be tolerated.  

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 03:25:16 pm »

Ok,petrol on the fire Embarrassed,but IMO it does show a different Bias.Woman alleges rape in the past,and immediately discredited (or called out "why now?",or called out for something in return (money,discredit the accuser etc))),but man reports being abused by the priests many years ago he's instantly believed,and the priest needs to be strung up.

Enough fuel flammage.. Roll Eyes

IMO
I don't watch any cable news,24 hours cable news channels are NOTNEWS period.They are all about the ratings,clickbait articles,clickbait type headlines,and making money off their advertisers.It's the outrage,shock you,Tune in for this,you'll never believe this to fill the 24 hour day,

I agree with Fau about the Balance B.S.,but disagree with they should bring in "experts" as most of these cable channels already do bring in people they claim are "experts".They make their own "experts".

I feel the bigger problems are locally...
I have to go here because to me this is vitally important because of where I live I see the impact.Even my overly conservative Republican landlord has gotten mad,frustrated with this locally.

I don't give a fuck if you disagree,and call bullshit on it...These issues have happened mainly in the past 2 years with the current administration,and the current F.C.C. big company schills.

1.) 2017 They changed the rule to allow one company/owner,can own multiple media outlets in 1 market area...( 2 T.V. stations,radio stations,plus newspaper type thing)
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8039366/fcc-weakens-rules-on-owning-multiple-tv-stations-newspapers

This has hit us hard locally recently...
(Now,as the local Fox station is now being bought by the company that run the CBS affiliate,and plans are slowly leaking out on how they plan on merging the two)
All my local T.V. stations are now owned by/run 2 media companies.The NBC,and ABC affiliates were officially brought together just over a year ago,they somewhat skirted the rule for a few years,as the NBC station only managed the "business" operations

In the NBC/ABC side the NBC side fired almost every one of the ABC local affiliate (camera/newsroom behind the scenes people,most of the on air talent) and now broadcasts the the NBC affiliates news on 2 stations.They called everyone in from the ABC affiliate that they were firing on a Saturday afternoon last August (2017),fired them. They did it all hush,hush till the newspaper started picking up people bitching on social media the following Monday or Tuesday. They quickly threw together promos claiming we're bigger now with 2 stations,and much more capable of more local coverage,blah,blah,blah. The NBC affiliate was already spending the majority of its "Local" newscast,on the richer small towns,and suburbs.

(This goes back to the balance issue,as the bias towards the local,well we're a conservative republican area.)
Politically IMO this is even worse being a very red area. When Obama was president,they'd talk about a clip,and show Obama say something.Then they'd ask the all the the local Republicans  representatives about what he "said". They got 2 minutes to rebutte what Obama said...

Now Trump,they cover the rallies,and controversies,and then ask the local Republican representatives also.Then call the local Democratic office,to give a statement,and tend to read a social media post,etc.

These type of scenarios are going through the roof here locally,not just on the the national figures,presidents,senators,etc.Our State,County,and city issues are getting more,and more one sided coverage.Our recent problems with our Governor were covered the same way,as the Trump/Obama examples. Our County Commissioner/herriff,State auditor battle recently same type of coverage.

2.) Killing Neutrality- Again I only have 2 companies that supply high speed internet access here.At&T and mediacom,and with huge media mergers,and acquisitions.It's going to be almost impossible to find News.

2 companies for internet,2 companies controlling the T.V. stations (and have partnerships with some radio stations),and I'm lucky enough to still have a local paper (still have a slant/bias)..

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 04:33:18 pm »

(I want to help everyone, but I don't want to pay for it)
LOL ... I think this is most people but many people don't want to admit it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 04:39:25 pm »

LOL ... I think this is most people but many people don't want to admit it.

Kinda like, "We need more homeless shelters!  Wait. What? Hell no, not in my neighborhood.  Do you know what that would do to my home value?"   
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »

Like I said, if someone does something to you and you don't report it promptly, then fuck you, it's your problem. False accusations shouldn't be tolerated.  
I never knew you were such a strong defender of Harvey Weinstein!

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 07:54:23 pm »

pondwater, you really have no empathy for people who would have had extreme trauma happen to them. Not surprised you're more right-wing. People who have this happen to them rarely report it for numerous reasons. Some of it is ridicule, they think no one will believe them, and in some extreme cases (such as this), their life is ruined with death threats. It's not a shocker that people don't always promptly report this type of stuff.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:33 pm »

Kinda like, "We need more homeless shelters!  Wait. What? Hell no, not in my neighborhood.  Do you know what that would do to my home value?"  

You know what's a 100% effective solution for homelessness?
give people homes
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 08:27:28 am »

give people homes

How many have you bought homes for?   
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 01:11:26 pm »

How many have you bought homes for?  

how many fires have you fought?
how many murderers have you caught or prosecuted?
how many people have you driven in your ambulance to the hospital?

don't ask stupid qauestions
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 02:56:49 pm »

I never knew you were such a strong defender of Harvey Weinstein!
Who brought him up and what does he have to do with any of this? Are you attempting to deflect the conversation? If not, please explain.

pondwater, you really have no empathy for people who would have had extreme trauma happen to them. Not surprised you're more right-wing. People who have this happen to them rarely report it for numerous reasons. Some of it is ridicule, they think no one will believe them, and in some extreme cases (such as this), their life is ruined with death threats. It's not a shocker that people don't always promptly report this type of stuff.
Do you really have no empathy for people wrongly accused? I thought it was innocent until proven guilty. The fact of the matter is that some skank can pull this bullshit after 10, 20, or 30 years and ruin someone's life. That's why it's vitally important that these matters are reported in a timely fashion. There's virtually no way to prove something after a certain amount of time has passed, it's all just judicial masturbation. This flakey nut can't prove anything. Hell, she can't even provide any crucial details.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 03:02:28 pm »

give people homes
And who do you think is going to pay for these homes? And if they're giving them away, I want one too. Hell, free houses for everyone. Can I get a pool and wet bar in the backyard?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 03:02:45 pm »

Who brought him up and what does he have to do with any of this? Are you attempting to deflect the conversation? If not, please explain.
Do you really have no empathy for people wrongly accused? I thought it was innocent until proven guilty. The fact of the matter is that some skank can pull this bullshit after 10, 20, or 30 years and ruin someone's life. That's why it's vitally important that these matters are reported in a timely fashion. There's virtually no way to prove something after a certain amount of time has passed, it's all just judicial masturbation. This flakey nut can't prove anything. Hell, she can't even provide any crucial details.

Kavanough is not on trial, he is at a job interview.  There is a very serious question as to whether he has the moral turpitude to be making decisions that will affect all americans.  Lets pause and investigate the allegations before he is given a lifetime appointment.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 03:45:09 pm »

Kavanough is not on trial, he is at a job interview.  There is a very serious question as to whether he has the moral turpitude to be making decisions that will affect all americans.  Lets pause and investigate the allegations before he is given a lifetime appointment.
There is nothing to investigate. It's 35 fucking years ago with someone who can't remember any crucial details. This is nothing but a con job circus. If you you people can't see this is a set up, then you're crazy as hell.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray