Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:04:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Media Bias
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print
Author Topic: Media Bias  (Read 36543 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2019, 11:32:20 am »

Democrats gonna democrat.

Not sure what you mean by that.  But many democrats have called for his resignation.  Now if we just get the same level of self accountability on the other side of the isle, the country would be better of.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2019, 11:38:07 am »

What you are describing is called "democracy."

I suppose so.  But that isn't the point I was trying to make.  My point was that the vast majority of politicians will be more than happy to have their pictures taken with and buddy up to anyone or any group who either donates large sums of money to their campaign or who they think represents a large enough voter block.  Regardless of how repugnant that person or group may be. Outside of the clergy, politicians are the most hypocritical and sleazy group of people on the planet.  
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #242 on: February 03, 2019, 11:50:01 am »

Not necessarily.  Trump used to be the darling of the Democrats when he was all snuggled up to Hillary back in the day. 

Trump was never really active with either political party.  But like to hang out with prominent people of any party or walk.  Anything to hubnub with famous/powerful/wealthy people.  He was never a champion of democratic causes or candidates.

He did embrace Hillary in her primary against Obama, but I tend to think that might not have been motivated on seeing her as president, but his disgust at the potential of an African American president.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #243 on: February 03, 2019, 05:05:49 pm »

My point was that the vast majority of politicians will be more than happy to have their pictures taken with and buddy up to anyone or any group who either donates large sums of money to their campaign or who they think represents a large enough voter block.
Again, it seems like your problem is with the concept of democracy itself.

If there is a substantial majority in favor of a certain policy, the politicians in a democracy had damned well better support it, or they can expect to be replaced with new politicians that will.  This is an inherent, fundamental "flaw" of having a democracy, period.  So if the majority of your electorate is comprised of terrible people in favor of repugnant policies, your government will reflect that.

Keep in mind that the reason politicians kowtow to big money campaign donations is because campaign money has consistently proven to be the single largest factor in getting votes.  If we had a system in which large campaign donations (or stand-ins like SuperPACs) were not allowed, politicians would not be nearly as beholden to big money.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:09:47 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #244 on: February 03, 2019, 05:22:45 pm »

If there is a substantial majority in favor of a certain policy, the politicians in a democracy had damned well better support it, or they can expect to be replaced with new politicians that will.  This is an inherent, fundamental "flaw" of having a democracy, period.  So if the majority of your electorate is comprised of terrible people in favor of repugnant policies, your government will reflect that.

Keep in mind that the reason politicians kowtow to big money campaign donations is because campaign money has consistently proven to be the single largest factor in getting votes.  If we had a system in which large campaign donations (or stand-ins like SuperPACs) were not allowed, politicians would not be nearly as beholden to big money.

You got two out of three factors.  The third is if the majority favor A but are not extremely passionate about it, but there is a minority that is extremely passionate the minority can prevail.

NRAs success is in part due to money, but also because the small number of extremists gun nuts will vote single issue, show up enmass for committee meetings etc. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #245 on: February 03, 2019, 07:43:05 pm »

So, I have read enough of your comments on this website to know that you are a bright guy.  You are much too intelligent to keep completely missing the point that I am trying to make.  Therefore, I can only assume that you are just trying to be argumentative for some reason that I can't even begin to fathom.  I have had the displeasure of dealing with Congress on at least a weekly basis in my job for 15 years now.  But since this is a completely useless discussion that we are apparently having, I will bow out and say, "Yes, although I have dealt with these people for 15 years, you clearly know much more than I do about the political world."   Good win.  You seem like a decent guy, so don't take this personally, but you are like that guy Mike that used to post here all the time.  He would wear people down to the point where they just walked away because it was less painful than continuing to go around in circles with him. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #246 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:36 pm »

As best I can tell, your point was that politicians have little-to-no moral compass, and will blindly do whatever helps them get reelected... whether that's pandering to repugnant voters or big money campaign benefactors.

And to that, I say: blame the repugnant voters, or the system that allows money to control our politics.  You know what happens to politicians who show moral backbone and stand up to the kinds of distasteful elements you cite?   They lose elections to people who won't do that.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:32:54 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2019, 11:56:32 am »

As best I can tell, your point was that politicians have little-to-no moral compass,

Little known fact: 

Politics is a compound word....

poli- meaning many

-tics meaning small disease carrying blood sucking vermin

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2019, 01:12:14 pm »

He did embrace Hillary in her primary against Obama, but I tend to think that might not have been motivated on seeing her as president, but his disgust at the potential of an African American president.
Most of us who were not fans of Obama have no issues with African Americans and positions of leadership. Put Colin Powell, Herman Cain, or Condoleezza Rice up against them and they would have gotten my vote over Hillary, Obama, and Trump.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:14:34 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2019, 01:31:13 pm »

Most of us who were not fans of Obama have no issues with African Americans and positions of leadership. Put Colin Powell, Herman Cain, or Condoleezza Rice up against them and they would have gotten my vote over Hillary, Obama, and Trump.

I am sure there are Republicans that would choose Powell, Cain or Rice over Hilary, Obama or Trump.

But when you only choose Hillary over Obama and then McCain and Rooney over Obama.  And engage in a bullshit campaign that Obama is not an American.  Have a history of violating fair housing laws,  claim that there are both good and bad neo-nazis, have absolutely no African-Americans in Senior white house potions, it becomes clear that his objection of Obama was race based. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:27 pm »

Not that I would ever defend Trump, but I consider a cabinet position to be senior.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2019, 01:54:22 pm »

Not that I would ever defend Trump, but I consider a cabinet position to be senior.

Nobody in the the west wing.  One cabinet member in a department that the republican party wants to dismantle. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2019, 03:31:22 pm »

I think you surround yourself to what you are familiar. Just like our new coach ... he will and has hired more blacks than head coaches before.

I know from my experiences with sports and work .... blacks and whites can be bonded extremely well but at the end of the day they hang out mostly with similar people. Look at Brady. His team buddies are always white yet I've never thought of him as racist.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2019, 08:43:38 am »

Little known fact: 

Politics is a compound word....

poli- meaning many

-tics meaning small disease carrying blood sucking vermin

This was on the blackboard on day one of my first political science class... Good stuff.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2019, 10:50:08 am »

Nobody in the the west wing.  One cabinet member in a department that the republican party wants to dismantle. 
He has a ton of women in power positions and even had an Indian woman as UN Ambassador. That's a pretty high ranking person of color. But I know it doesn't matter because he's sexist too.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray