Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:52:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  My theory on the new roughing the passer rule
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My theory on the new roughing the passer rule  (Read 3041 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: September 24, 2018, 11:05:33 pm »

It's there to give the refs the option to infuse excitement into the game by calling it at crucial moments, a la, yesterday with Tannehill, and last week with Matthews.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:04:04 am »

It's there to give the refs the option to infuse excitement into the game by calling it at crucial moments, a la, yesterday with Tannehill, and last week with Matthews.

Well, if you were trying to maintain your sterling reputation for spouting complete horseshit, then congratulations...you've outdone yourself.

High fives all around...   Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:41:35 am »

I still say he has to be trolling us 24/7.   Nobody can come up with as much wtf commentary as he does unless he is doing it as a comedy bit.  If he is doing it on purpose, then I applaud him. To have that consistent of a body of work of crazy, dating back YEARS, is truly masterful. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:10:20 pm »

I support safety tules in general.  It's ok that they tried it, but this one goes too far.  ...just gotta review it and dial it back.  This rule isn't working.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 05:53:06 pm »

I support safety tules in general.  It's ok that they tried it, but this one goes too far.  ...just gotta review it and dial it back.  This rule isn't working.
I'm already tired of hearing about this rule. It's all they talk about in games and on Monday and Tuesday mornings on the radio. I think if I'm the head coach I just tell my guys to play like they always have and just accept the penalties when they come. Hopefully they balance out a bit. There literally seems to be no way to avoid them. The only thing I can think of at this point is to try to pick up the QB and carry him backwards til they blow the whistle and then let him down and smooth out any wrinkles on his jersey that you may have caused.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:54:52 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:42:56 am »

Also, if you're going to limit the way defenses can tackle QBs, you have to limit how QBs can evade tackles.  It's not fair to ask the defensive player not to tackle the QB, but simultaneously allow the QB to escape when they're wrapped up or fight the grapple for yardage.  They shouldn't be able to fight for positive yardage like an RB if the defender can't take them to the ground. 

And QBs shouldn't be able to try to get the first down and then slide....either you're making a football play or you're giving yourself up to avoid contact.  You can have both and have it be fair.

I drink your milkshake!
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:14:39 am »

This rule as I see a lot of lineman getting hurt trying to avoid putting their weight on the QB.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:12:58 am »

And QBs shouldn't be able to try to get the first down and then slide....either you're making a football play or you're giving yourself up to avoid contact.  You can have both and have it be fair.

Maybe I am misreading but I don't see what one has to do with the other. Sliding after a first down is no different than sliding before a first down. Players make a football play with everything they do, they are playing football.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »

Maybe I am misreading but I don't see what one has to do with the other. Sliding after a first down is no different than sliding before a first down. Players make a football play with everything they do, they are playing football.

IMO, sliding is removing yourself from the football play to avoid contact.

It isn't in the spirit of the rule to slide at the line in hopes of simultaneously making the football to get the first down AND avoiding the contact.  One or the other. 

It's the play where Kiko got flagged for an illegal hit, when he had no choice.  It asks the defender to assume the QB is going to slide, but if they don't, they get a free play.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 12:38:40 pm »

i tend to think that if we are going to limit how much force can be used against a qb, we must also limit the QBs ability to break free. EG holding a qb with two hands or two defenders simultaneously touching a qb and the qb is considered down.  Some might consider that wussing football further, but it gives the defenders a fair shot at tackling without the need to assert force.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »

In the grasp all over again.... Cheesy

I don't like the rule,but I'm not sure how to solve the problem...

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:20 pm »

It isn't in the spirit of the rule to slide at the line in hopes of simultaneously making the football to get the first down AND avoiding the contact.  One or the other. 

It's the play where Kiko got flagged for an illegal hit, when he had no choice.  It asks the defender to assume the QB is going to slide, but if they don't, they get a free play.

I got it now. I thought you meant sliding after they cleared the first down but you mean that bang bang play right at the marker.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 02:59:07 pm »

You can't dictate to the players when they can give themselves up and when they can't. You see this all the time, not just with QB's but with everyone on the team. Imagine a CB who intercepts a pass and kneels down to end the game or in the endzone to get the touchback. What you can't intercept the ball if you don't plan to return it? What about a RB who breaks through the line and is running untouched into the endzone when he realizes that he can run out the clock by kneeling at the 1 yard line? What he HAS to run into the endzone? No. You can get the first down and THEN slide to give yourself up. You can't FORCE him to go out of bounds or get hit. Actually I think the play you are talking about with Kiko, he didn't get flagged for an illegal hit or maybe now that I think about maybe he did get flagged but not fined? Anyway the rule that the QB can slide is not the problem, it's the rule that you can't land on the QB that is the issue, so lets not make a bad situation worse.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:11:12 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 03:01:19 pm »

I like Mike Golic's solution which is that if you are taking the QB to the ground then if you put your hands out to brace your fall then you aren't driving the QB into the ground with your weight. Several of those have been called. All they would have to do is say as long as you make an effort not to fall on him with all your weight for example by putting your hands out, then you are fine. That would fix the problem and still protect the QB. The rule isn't bad it's that the refs are not calling it properly. The problem is that the league office is backing their refs rather than questioning them. I think the league office will continue to back the refs while behind the scenes try to get them to watch for an effort not to land with all their weight on the QB and let it slide. I think it will get better as the season goes on, everyone is over reacting a bit.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:08:36 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 03:16:39 pm »

The problem is that there is no problem. These jackasses make millions upon millions of dollars playing a child's game. Every year they pull this shit with silly rules. Football is a violent game. If you don't like it play golf or tennis.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray