Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:37:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  My theory on the new roughing the passer rule
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: My theory on the new roughing the passer rule  (Read 3038 times)
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:49 pm »

The problem is that there is no problem. These jackasses make millions upon millions of dollars playing a child's game. Every year they pull this shit with silly rules. Football is a violent game. If you don't like it play golf or tennis.

I concur. I don't see a problem with the way QB's are tackled. They're going to get hurt sometimes.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 04:40:24 pm »

I like Mike Golic's solution which is that if you are taking the QB to the ground then if you put your hands out to brace your fall then you aren't driving the QB into the ground with your weight. Several of those have been called. All they would have to do is say as long as you make an effort not to fall on him with all your weight for example by putting your hands out, then you are fine. That would fix the problem and still protect the QB. The rule isn't bad it's that the refs are not calling it properly. The problem is that the league office is backing their refs rather than questioning them. I think the league office will continue to back the refs while behind the scenes try to get them to watch for an effort not to land with all their weight on the QB and let it slide. I think it will get better as the season goes on, everyone is over reacting a bit.

I don't like the idea. Then the defender is possible to break an arm, dislocate an elbow, etc. I don't think there was enough of a problem that a rule change was warranted to begin with and I support player safety rules usually.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 05:20:46 pm »

The problem is that there is no problem. These jackasses make millions upon millions of dollars playing a child's game. Every year they pull this shit with silly rules. Football is a violent game. If you don't like it play golf or tennis.
The problem is that the owners want those millions upon millions of dollars to keep rolling in. When guys like Aaron Rogers get hurt it costs the bottom line so you do silly things like put in silly rules to protect him. It will work itself out, just give it time.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 06:45:31 pm »

The problem is that the owners want those millions upon millions of dollars to keep rolling in. When guys like Aaron Rogers get hurt it costs the bottom line so you do silly things like put in silly rules to protect him. It will work itself out, just give it time.

i am not so sure it is needed.  NFL survived the year Peyton was out.  The 15.75 weeks Brady was out, etc.  The needless tweeks turns off more fans than the loss of any one particular player

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 10:24:12 pm »

The problem is that the owners want those millions upon millions of dollars to keep rolling in. When guys like Aaron Rogers get hurt it costs the bottom line so you do silly things like put in silly rules to protect him.
Thank you.

The league isn't putting in these QB protection rules because of politically correct SJWs; the owners, as a group, do not give the slightest care about the health and safety of the players.  What they care about is their money, and star QBs being knocked out of the game directly affects the amount of money owners make... especially since they are paying that star QB exactly the same amount of money on the sideline in street clothes as they would be if he were under center.

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 08:42:36 am »

It's there to give the refs the option to infuse excitement into the game by calling it at crucial moments, a la, yesterday with Tannehill, and last week with Matthews.

They already have this with the defensive secondary.  Call Pass interference.  Spot foul.  60 yard gain.  Can't call pass interference?  Call illegal contact automatic first down... can't call illegal contact?  Call defensive holding automatic first down... can't do that?  Preface it with the words "while the quarterback was in the pocket..."  It could be the shittiest most blown call on earth and the NFL will still back it.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 10:19:32 am »

According to Jeff Darlington .... this is NOT a new rule. It's been on the books since 1997. The officials are just interpreting it differently. He said Sean Payton is on the rules committee and he said they are supposed to decide intent meaning if the tackler was trying to hurt the QB on purpose vs just making a tackle. "a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight."

He also said this issue came out of the blue for the NFL and caught them off guard. They thought the biggest issue would be the new "dropping your head" rule. 

In closing he said he expects that they will get with the officials and have them relax their current interpretation although a conference call isn't scheduled until next week. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:22:41 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray