Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:28:36 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Main thing about Cubs/Rockies that made me angry.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Main thing about Cubs/Rockies that made me angry.  (Read 6420 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« on: October 03, 2018, 09:54:06 am »

The Rockies beat the Cubs last night 2-1 in 13 innings if anybody missed it. 

The Rockies won on a two out rally by hitting three successive singles.  When the first guy got a single, the woman in the booth with A-Roid and the other guy said "oh well... that's a win for the Cubs that he only got a single."  Now I understand what she was getting at because the guy was one of the Rockies' more prominent power hitters.  But I still almost put my fist through the TV. 

Here's why the statement was monumentally stupid.  In an extra inning game when runs are at a premium and a team gets a hit, it's a loss for that team.  Whether it's a broken bat single or a triple off the right field corner. 

I'm not complaining because she's a woman.  I don't mind women being in the booth any more than a man.  For the most part I find the booth to be white noise while the actual game is going on.  We've heard men (Joe Theismann immediately springs to mind) say equally and far dumber things during broadcasts.  However it seems that clearly the situation was lost on her and as soon as I heard the statement my fist stopped right at the television. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:25:18 am »

The two sports with the most nonsensical postseasons are baseball and college football, but at least college football is getting better.

The one-game wild card is among the dumbest ideas I've ever heard (next to basing home field for the championship on an exhibition game), especially in a sport like baseball where you can roll out your dominant ace for that one game, and promptly get washed in the next round.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:29:19 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 12:18:50 pm »

to Clarify, I can't stand espn,and their announcers,so, I have a severe bias towards F-them,and anything they say...

I was watching the game on Espn 2,the statcast version,that has different announcers.I actually loved it,so much less let's blow smoke up the ass of this team because they're currently leading,blah,blah,blah B.S. which made somewhat easier to watch...

Personally I'm less angered about the "postseason" format,than I am the 2 game 163 games to make the playoffs.Twitter was a buzz,about how stupid,no tie breakers as in head to head record,or record versus division,league etc,nope tied..F-you you play an extra do or die game after battling 163 games,to go play in another do or die game,while the other team waits...

As a Cubs fan,I knew for quite a while now,we didn't have the horses to have chance in hell to win it all.So the loss,sucked,but the Brewers were going to have their way with us,in the next round..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:22:46 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 01:05:42 pm »

Best out of three would be fair.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:29:33 pm »

Lets go redsox

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »

The idea of having two wild card teams (with three division champs) is itself the problem.

Either have one wild card team and normal series, or three wild card teams with byes for the top two division champs like the NFL.  The idea of a professional league having a "play-in game" for their postseason is a joke.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »

The flaw in that is unlike football an extra week bye is detrimental in baseball not benifical.  To make things fairer for the 3 and 4 best record teams you punish the two best teams.  Teams can avoid the one game series by winning more games in the regular season.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:51:56 pm »

Or you could just have a better record and then it wouldn't matter. I have no issue with a play in ... regardless of the best or wildcard. It just makes the stakes that much higher.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:12:05 pm »

The flaw in that is unlike football an extra week bye is detrimental in baseball not beneficial. 

Some would argue that in the post season having stronger pitching outweighs having great batters.  So, having your pitching staff well rested would be a bigger advantage.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:28:04 pm »

Well the MLB schedule makers tried to help the Cubs.  In the last five days the Rockies played a 3 game homestand, then went to LA for one game, then had to go to Chicago for last nights game.  If Colorado had lost I'm sure people would be upset over the scheduling.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:25 pm »

The flaw in that is unlike football an extra week bye is detrimental in baseball not benifical. 
How do you figure?  Rest is rest.  You have time to optimize your rotation instead of next man up.

Or you could just have a better record and then it wouldn't matter.
The Cubs finished the regular season tied for the best record in the National League.  Their reward was a 1-game playoff to see who wins the division, and then a one-game wild card playoff.  In contrast, two teams with worse records than the Cubs were awarded a 5-game series.

The old wild card system was far superior.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:08:02 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 08:30:09 am »

The only problem I have with the baseball playoff system is that I don't think ANYTHING should be one game unless it's the All Star game.  Even Division tiebreakers I feel like should be three games. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 10:40:40 am »

It's just maddening for Cubs fans.  You had the divisional tiebreaker and the wild card play in at home and lost both.   At least you're not the Rays who won 90 games and failed to make the postseason.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 10:46:02 am »

The Cubs finished the regular season tied for the best record in the National League.  Their reward was a 1-game playoff to see who wins the division, and then a one-game wild card playoff.  In contrast, two teams with worse records than the Cubs were awarded a 5-game series.

The old wild card system was far superior.

In 2008 a 12-4 team (2nd best record in NFL) had to travel to an 8-8 team while an 11-5 team sat home.  Don’t like that...prevent it by winning your division.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 11:00:40 am »

In 2008 a 12-4 team (2nd best record in NFL) had to travel to an 8-8 team while an 11-5 team sat home.  Don’t like that...prevent it by winning your division.
That's kind of my thinking. Many sports are like that. You first have to get out of your bracket and then move on. If you happen to place second and draw a wild card because you had a good record then so be it. Your're still a wild card and have to fight to get back to play the team you lost to. Otherwise have no WC teams and just play divisional winners. That's the advantage of "winning" your bracket.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray