Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2018, 12:31:38 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Main thing about Cubs/Rockies that made me angry.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Main thing about Cubs/Rockies that made me angry.  (Read 180 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 11:10:12 am »

I'm not objecting to seeding, or even byes.  If the Cubs were a #4 seed in a six-team playoff and they were down 0-2 in a best of 5, I would have nothing to say.  Or to flip the script, if the LDS and LCS were also single-game series, that would also be fair.  It's the wildly unbalanced playoff format that I have a problem with.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 12:05:21 pm »

I think there a ton of problems in the way MLB does these things,and think it's easily something that can be send you down a rabbit hole pigeon holing(sp?) it to death....

The 163's bother me the most,the playoff format of the wildcard is the win or you're out suddenness of game 5,or 7 of a series*

In sports we hear making the regular season count,baseball is grind,marathon...not a sprint,it's your record over the long haul...

I admittedly didn't realize that there aren't any tie breakers,and since brad brought it up...

Dodgers record vs the Rockies 13-7 (12-7+ game 163)
Cubs record vs Brewers 11-7 (11-8 but lost in game 163)

Brewers had a losing record,against the Cubs and Pittsburgh..The Cubs had losing record to the Cardinals...So who really won the division?
Via baseball reference.com...
Cubs https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/2018-schedule-scores.shtml
Brewers https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2018-schedule-scores.shtml
Dodgers https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/2018-schedule-scores.shtml
Rockies https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/COL/2018-schedule-scores.shtml

Here is the issue I had with this years 163 games...All teams were in the playoffs,and games weren't do or die games..

Win the division argument is Bullshit to me,both the Dodgers and the Cubs had winning records in the division,against the teams they already played 19 times.(They both had winning records against all but 1 team in their division all this season.) No the Division is decided by a 1 game 163,post trade deadline,with September call ups?  Huh

It goes back to masterfins money rant in the Dolphins section.....That's an extra game of revenue,and the wild card high ratings because of the do or die feeling...

I've heard the nitpicking of  the league didn't help the Cubs 4 days off since August 1st (including a double header) versus the Brewers 5 days off (the Thursday before the regular season ended).The Brewers got an interleague series against Detroit to end the season,got a division rival Cardinals.

It's all blah,blah,blah...It's what I mean you can nitpick everything,and baseball likes it that way...

I'm not sour apples the Cubs just blew the chances they had.

(modified said the same thing twice,and accidently deleted a line... Huh Embarrassed and Added links to reference))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:16:14 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »

The flaw in that is unlike football an extra week bye is detrimental in baseball not benifical.  To make things fairer for the 3 and 4 best record teams you punish the two best teams.  Teams can avoid the one game series by winning more games in the regular season.

You hit it right on the head.  A perfect example is the 2007 Colorado Rockies who ended up losing the World Series to your boys. 

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray