Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:16:15 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Main thing about Cubs/Rockies that made me angry.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Main thing about Cubs/Rockies that made me angry.  (Read 6352 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 11:10:12 am »

I'm not objecting to seeding, or even byes.  If the Cubs were a #4 seed in a six-team playoff and they were down 0-2 in a best of 5, I would have nothing to say.  Or to flip the script, if the LDS and LCS were also single-game series, that would also be fair.  It's the wildly unbalanced playoff format that I have a problem with.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 12:05:21 pm »

I think there a ton of problems in the way MLB does these things,and think it's easily something that can be send you down a rabbit hole pigeon holing(sp?) it to death....

The 163's bother me the most,the playoff format of the wildcard is the win or you're out suddenness of game 5,or 7 of a series*

In sports we hear making the regular season count,baseball is grind,marathon...not a sprint,it's your record over the long haul...

I admittedly didn't realize that there aren't any tie breakers,and since brad brought it up...

Dodgers record vs the Rockies 13-7 (12-7+ game 163)
Cubs record vs Brewers 11-7 (11-8 but lost in game 163)

Brewers had a losing record,against the Cubs and Pittsburgh..The Cubs had losing record to the Cardinals...So who really won the division?
Via baseball reference.com...
Cubs https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/2018-schedule-scores.shtml
Brewers https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2018-schedule-scores.shtml
Dodgers https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAD/2018-schedule-scores.shtml
Rockies https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/COL/2018-schedule-scores.shtml

Here is the issue I had with this years 163 games...All teams were in the playoffs,and games weren't do or die games..

Win the division argument is Bullshit to me,both the Dodgers and the Cubs had winning records in the division,against the teams they already played 19 times.(They both had winning records against all but 1 team in their division all this season.) No the Division is decided by a 1 game 163,post trade deadline,with September call ups?  Huh

It goes back to masterfins money rant in the Dolphins section.....That's an extra game of revenue,and the wild card high ratings because of the do or die feeling...

I've heard the nitpicking of  the league didn't help the Cubs 4 days off since August 1st (including a double header) versus the Brewers 5 days off (the Thursday before the regular season ended).The Brewers got an interleague series against Detroit to end the season,got a division rival Cardinals.

It's all blah,blah,blah...It's what I mean you can nitpick everything,and baseball likes it that way...

I'm not sour apples the Cubs just blew the chances they had.

(modified said the same thing twice,and accidently deleted a line... Huh Embarrassed and Added links to reference))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:16:14 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »

The flaw in that is unlike football an extra week bye is detrimental in baseball not benifical.  To make things fairer for the 3 and 4 best record teams you punish the two best teams.  Teams can avoid the one game series by winning more games in the regular season.

You hit it right on the head.  A perfect example is the 2007 Colorado Rockies who ended up losing the World Series to your boys. 

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 01:29:15 pm »

It wasn't that long ago baseball looked like this:

AL East
AL West

NL East
NL West

That was it.

Under these old rules the following teams would have made / missed the playoffs:

In: Boston (108 games), Houston (103), Brewers (96), Dodgers (92)

Out: Yankees (100), Indians (91), Oakland (97), Atlanta (90), Chicago (95), Colorado (91).

The playoff system is far from perfect.  It's come light years from where it was. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 03:44:35 pm »

I liked that system better. Besides being simple, just taking the two best teams in each league and having them fight for the pennant, it didn't prolong the post season to what it is now. I like that it was more like only the 4 best teams can make it, and if you wanted to be in the playoffs, then you should have won another game or two. Suck it up, and be one of the 4 best next season. I guess I like that baseball playoffs used to be a little more exclusionary.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 02:57:25 am »

And it wasn't too long before that that there were no league playoffs at all, and the team with the best record from each league went directly to the World Series.

Nevertheless, I think it's fair to say that the previous system (3 division winners + wild card) was better than the system we have now.  You're not supposed to go backwards and make the system worse.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 09:41:33 am »

Until the day comes when there is a hard cap (and a hard floor) for MLB, my interest in it is pretty minimal.  Who wants to cheer for a rigged game? ...I mean, aside from fans of the teams it is rigged for, that is.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:51 am »

Until the day comes when there is a hard cap (and a hard floor) for MLB, my interest in it is pretty minimal.  Who wants to cheer for a rigged game? ...I mean, aside from fans of the teams it is rigged for, that is.

Agree.  needs hard caps and floors like nfl

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »

Agree.  needs hard caps and floors like nfl

I agree as well.   The trouble is, the MLB Players Union is too powerful and will never agree to a salary cap.   If the owners really want to implement one, they need to impose a lockout when the current CBA expires, then bring in replacement players

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 01:11:50 pm »

I agree as well.   The trouble is, the MLB Players Union is too powerful and will never agree to a salary cap.   If the owners really want to implement one, they need to impose a lockout when the current CBA expires, then bring in replacement players

That is not true.  It would be against there interest to agree to a salary cap that reduced their earning potential.   But a deal with a hard floor, TV revenue shared among all teams and a requirement of how much of total revenue must be spent on players eg what the NFL has could get player support.  Problem is wealthy teams like the Yankees would oppose that.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 04:18:46 pm »

...Problem is wealthy teams like the Yankees would oppose that.

And your Red Sox...  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 10:10:42 pm »

I don't necessarily have a problem with a soft cap+luxury tax like the NBA's system.  It has worked extremely well, with the one obvious exception of the huge cap spike in 2016 that allowed the second-best team in the league to give a huge contract to a top-three player.  (Even a hard cap system will not prevent players from taking less-than-market value to play for a winning team, as the Patriots have shown... but KD was able to eat his cake and have it too.)  And ultimately due to the nature of the sport basketball itself, if the best two players in the league are in Cleveland and San Antonio, those will likely be the best two teams in the league no matter what kind of cap you have.

That all said, I think the current MLB playoff system is designed to obscure exactly this problem.  The more teams that "make the playoffs" (even if just for one game), the fewer the cries of a broken system.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 03:12:36 pm »

Don't pay attention to the jaded Padres fan.

Wink

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 08:55:52 am »

Congratulations Maine and Hoodie.   

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray