Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:49:07 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Why doesn’t this happen anymore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why doesn’t this happen anymore  (Read 1053 times)
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:49:14 am »

I remember in the past seeing the center snap the ball as soon as a defensive player jumped offsides so to get the 5 yard penalty. I don’t really see centers do that anymore. It’s like they won’t snap the ball until the predetermined snap count no matter what. Am I right on this? Or have you noticed it happening and I haven’t? Do they not coach that way anymore? And what happened to tackling. It seems like somewhere between pop Warner and NFL guys forget or aren’t coached to wrap someone up and make a proper tackle. Everyone goes for a knockout shot. Why? It drives me nuts watching a ball carrier just bounce off all of these tacklers.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:08:42 pm »

The center doesn't need to snap the ball anymore. The old rule was the offense had to stay still even if the defender jumped, now any offensive lineman can move if the defender moves first and causes it.

As for tackling, blame the limited number of practices in pads with limited hitting. Hard to practice fundamental tackles if you don't have contact.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 12:55:18 am »

Yeah, during the NE-DET game there was a play where DET jumped on defense but got back before the snap (while the offense remained motionless), and the commentators noted that Belichick was furious because he teaches his players to immediately touch the defender if they jump, so as to ensure a defensive penalty.

As for tackling form, I think it has less to do with NFL players not getting enough practice (as I'm sure they still get plenty).
I think it has more to do with players growing up in an environment with media coverage like this.

I think the current ruleset will encourage defenders to do less headhunting for the Big Hit and more form tackle wrapping up.  At a certain basic level, wrapping an opponent up for a tackle is a defense against unnecessary roughness penalties (though as Clay Matthews can attest, it is not a perfect defense).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:02:35 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 01:16:44 pm »

I hate the tackling,throw a shoulder not wrapping up,going for the strip rather than tackle the guy,throw an arm at a guy B.S. trying to tackle a guy by so many of the players in today's NFL...One of my big football Pet peeves.

I think a sub plot agreeing with Phish and Spider here on what has been mentioned,(coach speak would say) They focus on tackling during training camp,then during the season they get 3 days of actual practice each week. Those practices focus on working the game plan of the upcoming opponent,and trying to fix problems in reads/techniques each week...Rather than basic tackling drills

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray