Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:11:59 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Your experience with seasonal jobs for extra money? (IE for holidays)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your experience with seasonal jobs for extra money? (IE for holidays)  (Read 1768 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: October 25, 2018, 09:54:26 am »

My current bed buddy,she is going on a second interview for today for a part time seasonal "extra help" job over the holidays job.A few of the people she has told talked about some horrible experiences with these type of jobs,and she is having second thoughts (<--- Cheesy 2nd thoughts,about the 2nd interview!  Cheesy Grin Embarrassed)

Some people have talked about they were treated,or the crap they dumped on them because they were just temporary holiday help.Even people who didn't have "bad" experiences say little bit of money really wasn't worth the time off lost,being worn out,etc,etc. 

I've worked many temp,short term jobs before,but not specific Holiday/Christmas type retail jobs.I figured it was because of where I'm out,it's just they treat most of their employees like shit,not really just because you were holiday help. Undecided

Have you ever worked a "holiday extra help" job? Did you feel they use you for all the shit parts of the job? Did you find the little extra money worth the effort?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:01 am »

I haven't done it in many years but I did a stint at Disney in High School for the holidays and then worked at UPS for the holidays a few years later. They were bottom feeder jobs but I kind of expected it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:16:24 am »

Like with everything it varies from place to place.  

My advice is if she isn’t giving up another job to take this one, try it out if it sucks -quit.  She doesn’t need to list it on her resume because there is no gap in employment history.  

A friend of mine quit a temp holiday last year cause she wanted xmas eve off and they wouldn’t give it to her off.  Her logic hey they were going to lay me off a few days later anyway.    She didn’t go back there for months thinking everybody hated her, but she went in two weeks ago because they had something on sale at a really great price. She hoped to get in and out quickly without being recognized.  Manager spotted her and asked her if she wanted to work again this year.  She was shocked by the offer, but the manager explained, “if I fired everyone who missed a shift i wouldn’t have any employees”. She is working there again this year and won’t be scheduled for xmas eve.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:13:04 pm »

Good topic. I was considering one this year as I have never done it before. I would expect that it would be the lowest of the lows position though.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:12:06 pm »

When she first told me Saturday night,I assumed it was her way of giving me the brush off,nicely.When I started talking to her about why (assuming for her kid's christmas present type thing) I found out she's saving money for a newer car.She wants either buy it outright,or have big enough down payment to cover most of the cost,(lower payments+less time paying it off).She said we'll have nooners!  Cheesy

She wanted to avoid Bass pro shop (It's where she most of the horror stories she's heard about),or large department store,so she doesn't get thrown someplace she knows nothing about,or asked where stuff is.She answers the phone/appointment setter for HVAC company,and works weekdays 6am-3pm,so nothing that closes at midnight every night.She was thinking smaller store in the mall,(they close at 9.pm here most nights.).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:13:58 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:25:41 am »

I haven't done it in many years but I did a stint at Disney in High School for the holidays and then worked at UPS for the holidays a few years later. They were bottom feeder jobs but I kind of expected it.

I took a part-time seasonal job at UPS once, and enjoyed it so much that I kept working there after the season was over.

I sometimes take on extra writing jobs during the holiday season, but not sure if I am going to this year.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:35:31 am »

I took a part-time seasonal job at UPS once, and enjoyed it so much that I kept working there after the season was over.

I might have stayed as well but that wasn't an option at the time ... although I did think of applying later on.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:22 am »

I drive for Uber/Lyft around the Busch Gardens area and airport as that's where the pickups are.  I make pretty good money doing it.  I put in about 20-25 hours a week and pick up and extra $250-$400 per week

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray