Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:51:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Is Gase the guy to lead us?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Is Gase the guy to lead us?  (Read 4638 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:31:39 am »

I have finally come to the point where I too wonder if Gase is really the guy to lead us or if he will ever be that guy. Is he just another in the long line of mediocre coaches? I mean ... he hasn't really beaten very many winning teams and our offense is no better.

Thanks to Five Reasons Sports Network for supplying these stats between Philbin and Gase at this point in their carreer. The only thing that stands out is Gase is liked by his players ... which unfortunately hasn't translated to wins. ‏

@5ReasonsSports
Follow Follow @5ReasonsSports
More

Joe Philbin through 40 games:

20-20 record
816 points for
803 points against
+13

Adam Gase through 40 games:

20-20 record
818 points for
892 points against

@3YardsPerCarry
@DolphinMaven

#5RSN

#PhinsUp

5:02 AM - 26 Oct 2018
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:33:25 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:01 am »

The only thing that stands out is Gase is liked by his players ... which unfortunately hasn't translated to wins. ‏

I am not sure if that is even a positive.  Bill Belichick is not liked by his players.  Respected but not liked.  Herb Brooks didn’t win a gold with players that “liked” him.  The players at Alabama don’t like Saben.  Rex Ryan was liked by his player and probably would win by a large margin “guy you would most want to tailgate with” among former and current head coaches.  There have been successfully “player’s coach”, such as Ditka, but they are the exception not the rule.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »

I know all my posts are ...here he goes again... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IMO I think it's the organizational failure,I feel it's a bit of a railroad job against Gase.Stephen Ross wanted Gase,Gase wasn't really Tannenbaum's choice. Darren Rizzi has been with the team for 10 years,Gase wanted Vance Joseph to be his Defensive coordinator,Joseph took the Denver head coaching position,they promoted Matt Burke.

IMO I just struggle seeing it's Adam Gase banging for all thesedefensive guys,and some moves to upgrade the special teams.I see it as Tannebaum/Grier siding more with the defensive guys.It was Tannenbaum at the Suh press conference with Stephen Ross before Adam Gase was even here.Adam Gase isn't the guy negotiating these contracts/signing extensions,trades etc...Yeah he has to take some of the blame,he does have control of the final roster.

I agree he's not won like I'd hoped,but I like him as a coach...I just think he's screwed,he's the mouthpiece of the organization,and I don't think it's nearly as all for 1 visions,as he sells it.....

Modified to add..
FYI,before we complain but the offense sucks under Gase,he hasn't fixed anything.... Ryan Tannehill, Juwann James,Mike Pouncey,Jarvis Landry,Devante Parker,Kenny Stills,and Jay Ajayi...All here before Gase was hired, January of 2016.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:07:51 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:15:03 pm »

give gase a 20 year contract! .. stop playing musical coaches .. you can only win in this league with consistency.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 03:08:21 pm »

I have no idea if he is or he isn't.  I do know Bill Belichick is a heck of a good coach.  He was actually a lot better in Cleveland than people want to think.  I remember back in my broadcast days, covering the team - a bunch of us were sitting around and he was holding court.  One of his coach friends had just been blown out in another city, I forget which, and he was mad about it.  A Globe reporter asked "when do you feel your system was fully implemented here in New England?"

His answer was "maybe after the third Super Bowl."  He mixed in a couple comments about how things "really started to settle down a little after that." 

So, Bill took over in 2000.  The 3rd one was in 2005. 

2002, title.
2004, title.
2005, title.

And this man, in a moment of candor, is saying he didn't feel "settled" in his job, and system, until 2005.  He went on to talk about how a lot of franchises toss away a lot of good talent because they don't know how to use it or they don't have the "stomach" to make the right choices around what needs to be done to win.

Is Gase the right guy?  Dunno.  I do know what's happening in L.A. with the Rams is literally lightning i a bottle and won't last (see Jacksonville).  I also know Bill is right.  The question is how do you establish the right people around the right guy...and then build the right end game?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 03:32:37 pm »

To add to what Maine said.  I think Steeler hold the record for most sbs and least hc in the sb era.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:31:46 pm »

give gase a 20 year contract! .. stop playing musical coaches .. you can only win in this league with consistency.

This.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:53:16 pm »

While I appreciate the value of consistency, I don't see anyone saying that Dave Wannstedt should have never been fired.  If we gave that same 20-year contract to the most successful Dolphin coach (in terms of division titles and playoff appearances) since Shula, Wanny would be still be the coach today.

To use a less extreme example, does anyone here believe Joe Philbin should still be the head coach in Miami?  Should we have been recently grieving the unexpected death of longtime-and-still-current Dolphin head coach Tony Sparano?  If not, why does Adam Gase deserve more consistency than they did?  What has he done to earn that?

Let us grant that Belichick was an above-average HC in CLE.  If he had not followed up being fired by the Browns with an excellent stint as DC at NYJ, he would not be a head coach today.  But Wanny was not a successful coordinator after being fired.  Neither were Cam Cameron or Tony Sparano.  So far, Philbin hasn't been either.  So it seems to me that the logic used to justify the firings of Gase's predecessors was sound, and that the same logic may be applied to Gase.

Gase is getting his time to show what he can do.  He lost a middle-tier starter at QB, brought his hand-picked replacement out of virtual retirement to play, and the team was absolutely awful.  He has lost his starter again and the team looks really bad.  Furthermore, under Gase the team has steadily hovered between white-knuckle victories (3 of his 20 wins are by more than one score) and embarrassing blowout losses.

And let me just re-emphasize that last point.  Think about how many close, competitive MIA losses you've seen under Gase.  The only one I really see is his very first game in SEA.  The rest of the losses fall into three categories:

1) MIA is down 2-3 scores in the 4th quarter and manages to bring it to a 1 score game with less than 2 minutes remaining, before kicking the ball (with no timeouts left) to the opponent and watching them assume victory formation
2) MIA is close late in the game and the wheels completely fall off, leading to a blowout loss
3) MIA gets boat raced from wire to wire and is never even in the game

That's it!  That's every MIA loss under Gase except one.  And there are over 20 of them to choose from!

This is not the resume of a coaching savant.  Gase has not earned your loyalty.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:01:07 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:11 pm »

I know all my posts are ...here he goes again... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IMO I think it's the organizational failure,I feel it's a bit of a railroad job against Gase.Stephen Ross wanted Gase,Gase wasn't really Tannenbaum's choice. Darren Rizzi has been with the team for 10 years,Gase wanted Vance Joseph to be his Defensive coordinator,Joseph took the Denver head coaching position,they promoted Matt Burke.

IMO I just struggle seeing it's Adam Gase banging for all thesedefensive guys,and some moves to upgrade the special teams.I see it as Tannebaum/Grier siding more with the defensive guys.It was Tannenbaum at the Suh press conference with Stephen Ross before Adam Gase was even here.Adam Gase isn't the guy negotiating these contracts/signing extensions,trades etc...Yeah he has to take some of the blame,he does have control of the final roster.

I agree he's not won like I'd hoped,but I like him as a coach...I just think he's screwed,he's the mouthpiece of the organization,and I don't think it's nearly as all for 1 visions,as he sells it.....

Modified to add..
FYI,before we complain but the offense sucks under Gase,he hasn't fixed anything.... Ryan Tannehill, Juwann James,Mike Pouncey,Jarvis Landry,Devante Parker,Kenny Stills,and Jay Ajayi...All here before Gase was hired, January of 2016.

I have no idea if he is or he isn't.  I do know Bill Belichick is a heck of a good coach.  He was actually a lot better in Cleveland than people want to think.  I remember back in my broadcast days, covering the team - a bunch of us were sitting around and he was holding court.  One of his coach friends had just been blown out in another city, I forget which, and he was mad about it.  A Globe reporter asked "when do you feel your system was fully implemented here in New England?"

His answer was "maybe after the third Super Bowl."  He mixed in a couple comments about how things "really started to settle down a little after that." 

So, Bill took over in 2000.  The 3rd one was in 2005. 

2002, title.
2004, title.
2005, title.

And this man, in a moment of candor, is saying he didn't feel "settled" in his job, and system, until 2005.  He went on to talk about how a lot of franchises toss away a lot of good talent because they don't know how to use it or they don't have the "stomach" to make the right choices around what needs to be done to win.

Is Gase the right guy?  Dunno.  I do know what's happening in L.A. with the Rams is literally lightning i a bottle and won't last (see Jacksonville).  I also know Bill is right.  The question is how do you establish the right people around the right guy...and then build the right end game?

While I appreciate the value of consistency, I don't see anyone saying that Dave Wannstedt should have never been fired.  If we gave that same 20-year contract to the most successful Dolphin coach (in terms of division titles and playoff appearances) since Shula, Wanny would be still be the coach today.

To use a less extreme example, does anyone here believe Joe Philbin should still be the head coach in Miami?  Should we have been recently grieving the unexpected death of longtime-and-still-current Dolphin head coach Tony Sparano?  If not, why does Adam Gase deserve more consistency than they did?  What has he done to earn that?

Let us grant that Belichick was an above-average HC in CLE.  If he had not followed up being fired by the Browns with an excellent stint as DC at NYJ, he would not be a head coach today.  But Wanny was not a successful coordinator after being fired.  Neither were Cam Cameron or Tony Sparano.  So far, Philbin hasn't been either.  So it seems to me that the logic used to justify the firings of Gase's predecessors was sound, and that the same logic may be applied to Gase.

Gase is getting his time to show what he can do.  He lost a middle-tier starter at QB, brought his hand-picked replacement out of virtual retirement to play, and the team was absolutely awful.  He has lost his starter again and the team looks really bad.  Furthermore, under Gase the team has steadily hovered between white-knuckle victories (3 of his 20 wins are by more than one score) and embarrassing blowout losses.

And let me just re-emphasize that last point.  Think about how many close, competitive MIA losses you've seen under Gase.
  The only one I really see is his very first game in SEA.  The rest of the losses fall into three categories:

1) MIA is down 2-3 scores in the 4th quarter and manages to bring it to a 1 score game with less than 2 minutes remaining, before kicking the ball (with no timeouts left) to the opponent and watching them assume victory formation
2) MIA is close late in the game and the wheels completely fall off, leading to a blowout loss
3) MIA gets boat raced from wire to wire and is never even in the game

That's it!  That's every MIA loss under Gase except one.  And there are over 20 of them to choose from!

This is not the resume of a coaching savant.  Gase has not earned your loyalty.

I agree with much of what's been previously said, especially by Spidey. You can only be patient for so long, and you have to examine a coach's actions as much as their record...

Gase (to date) has left me the impression of being like Josh McDaniels in his stint at Denver - way out of his depth and without the support he needs, and yet while there is a lot to question he is undoubtedly making an impact at positively changing the culture of the team (which is important considering the absolute mess it was in during the Philbin era). It's a basic starting block to something better, but whether he is still around to reap the benefits is another matter.

Losing Vance Joseph as DC hurt, and we have not yet found a suitable (and I personally think preferably experienced) replacement. It's interesting to read MaineDolFan say that what's happening in LA won't last - if it does burn out it won't be because of coaching issues, it will be because of the salary cap. They were very wise to snap up Wade Phillips as DC, because not only has he moulded that defensive unit into a cohesive frightening beast, he is also a sound elder for McVay to lean on without being a real threat to his position. It's a great place to be in, especially with a loaded roster. If we stick with Gase, where can we find something similar to back up our young coach? Jack Del Rio?

Usually in the NFL, where there is a sustained positive change of momentum for a team with a new coach it happens quickly: if they are improving and/or continually in the playoffs for three consecutive years you know it's the right path. No matter what you think of a coach, winning covers a lot of perceived problems, but we are clearly not at that stage - one wild card appearance in the first year followed by sustained mediocrity is not an improvement on the Sparano era, no matter how you cut it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:57:12 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:45 pm »

I don't know if Gase is the guy but I do know that nobody KNOWS who is. The next guy up mentally is a crap shoot as much as letting Gase have a few more years. I say give him at least another year or 2 and see where you are then.

I would like to say that this year is FAR from being over. 8-8 or better is still REALLY possible and that's with all the injuries the Dolphins have had. If you would have told me they'd be 4-4 at the half way point and told me we were going to lose our starting guard, center and QB for most of that I would have said you were crazy and they'd be 2-6 at best. And it's not the offense that is the problem right now, it's the defense. Not sure what to do about that, it should be MUCH better. McMillin looks lost in my opinion and should be benched, I just don't know who else to put in. McDonald is not the same guy he was. The defensive ends can't apply any pressure and those are the veterans that we should be counting on but can't. Wake is just another guy at this point and this should be his last year. He's done.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:48:10 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 09:46:01 am »

The team's problems can't entirely be blamed on Gase. 

Gase didn't cause Tannehill's injuries.  Tannehill was getting hit more than any other quarterback before Gase even showed up.  Nobody has been able to solidify this offensive line.  The defensive line has been in decline for a long time now, and the drafting hasn't been terrible but it's been very hit and miss. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:44:24 am »

If you would have told me they'd be 4-4 at the half way point and told

The paradox is while all that matters is the record, for fans it rarely does.  If the dolphins record was LLW(ot)LLWWW folks would be talking playoffs rather than than tanking.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 11:04:58 am »

The paradox is while all that matters is the record, for fans it rarely does.  If the dolphins record was LLW(ot)LLWWW folks would be talking playoffs rather than than tanking.
In general yes ... but people like Big O have been pointing out all season that Gase only wins against losing teams. He has a mediocre record overall but a very poor one against teams with winning records.

One of the biggest things to consider is Gase is supposed to be a QB guru and after 3 years we do not have one QB that is better than they were before he got here. He hinged himself to Tannehill and hasn't been productive. I know part of it it the o-line but Ryan has to be better as well and he isn't.

For the record ... I'm all for keeping Gase but he probably needs to move on from Tanny. I think Ryan would restructure for next season to lead the way but they need to go after a QB that has some notable potential. They have been throwing hail marys at the at position for long enough.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 11:45:01 am »

^Gase beat the 4-3 Bears
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 01:40:24 pm »

As previously stated, the thing that is most depressing about the Dolphins for me is that they aren't just losing big games... they are getting their doors blown off.  Repeatedly.

MIA's performance in national games under Gase has been nothing short of pathetic.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray