Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:59:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  FSU fan fired after posting lynching Facebook picture of coach
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FSU fan fired after posting lynching Facebook picture of coach  (Read 3353 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: November 27, 2018, 12:32:34 pm »

Former TDMMC member "Tommy" has created a real shit-storm for himself by posting stupid stuff online. I don't know how he is going to come through this but I can't imagine it's going to be easy. This is a great reminder to take a breath before posting anger driven threats online. In one moment you can change your life dramatically with just the stroke of a keyboard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6434039/Florida-State-University-fan-fired-posting-Facebook-picture-Willie-Taggart-lynched.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:35:14 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:04:48 pm »

But what about his First Amendment rights?!

This firing was well-deserved.  What a scumbag thing to say.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:10:54 pm »

But what about his First Amendment rights?!

Unless his employer is a government entity the 1st amendment does not apply.  And even if it was urging violence is not protected.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:20:23 pm »

The 1st Amendment is one of the most often misunderstood bits of legislation in existence.  It gives you a certain degree of protection from prosecution, but it most certainly does not protect you from the other ramifications of your words and actions.  People lose their jobs and more all the time because of moronic things they say and do online.  This is a perfect example of this and he absolutely deserved to lose his job.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 03:25:55 pm »

Looking at what he posted, it doesn't seem to be a threat.  More like a racial slur for the coach to get fired.   Hate speech is indeed protected by the first amendment as long as it doesn't threaten violence.   

The guy was really stupid posting that out there and even more stupid putting his employment information on his social media along with a photo of himself that makes him easily identifiable.   He absolutely deserved to lose his job.  His employer really had no choice but to let him go in order to cover their backs. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:30:37 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:32:04 pm »

Couldn't happen to a more deserving schmuck...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 03:41:39 pm »

Looking at what he posted, it doesn't seem to be a threat.  More like a racial slur for the coach to get fired.   Hate speech is indeed protected by the first amendment as long as it doesn't threaten violence.
Saying "I am dead serious... this is how far I'm willing to go" about a picture depicting a literal lynching victim is not threatening violence?  Hmmm.

The italics in my original post were a satirical reference to all the knuckleheads who start crying about the First Amendment every time some racist or homophobe gets fired for saying his terrible beliefs out loud.  Tommy is just another victim of Political Correctness run amok!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:45:42 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:48:46 pm »

Not to kick a guy when he is down, but Tommy was always pretty immature in a lot of what he wrote when he was on here.  He was still really young then and I was hoping that with a little age, he would mature because at times, he could be a pretty nice guy.  But apparently that maturation process did not happen. 
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:08 pm »

Saying "I am dead serious... this is how far I'm willing to go" about a picture depicting a literal lynching victim is not threatening violence?  Hmmm.

If you look at the hashtags above the picture, they'll depict he is calling for the coach's firing.   That's why I don't think he was making a threat.  More like going as far as posting a racist meme online which is way out of line in its own regard.

There is no reason at all to post a picture like that anywhere, especially on your own social media account.  This guy is a tool
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:57:19 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »

This is an example of how the current society and social media can have very bad results.  Hiding behind a computer screen in the comfort of your home, some people post things they would never say in public.  The anonymity gives people the idea they can say outrageous things with no consequences.  I highly doubt that Tommy was actually advocating for this coach to be lynched, but people on the receiving end that don't know him take it and run for publicity.  Internet postings are taken very literal when put out for public consumption.  Personally, I keep my facebook friends at a very low number and don't make my acoount public; but even then there are things I won't post or comment on because some friends will take it the wrong way.

Tommy better apply for a legal name change now, because this will haunt him in his future job hunts FOREVER.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 12:31:39 pm »

This is an example of how the current society and social media can have very bad results.  Hiding behind a computer screen in the comfort of your home, some people post things they would never say in public.  The anonymity gives people the idea they can say outrageous things with no consequences.  I highly doubt that Tommy was actually advocating for this coach to be lynched, but people on the receiving end that don't know him take it and run for publicity.  Internet postings are taken very literal when put out for public consumption.  Personally, I keep my facebook friends at a very low number and don't make my acoount public; but even then there are things I won't post or comment on because some friends will take it the wrong way.

Tommy better apply for a legal name change now, because this will haunt him in his future job hunts FOREVER.

I have met him on several occasions. The comment was 100% Tommy. I would expect him to say something like that in person.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray