Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:30:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2016 - 2017 - 2018 Drafts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2016 - 2017 - 2018 Drafts  (Read 1304 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: October 30, 2018, 04:37:45 pm »

I started this topic so as not to derail the  halfway point threads.  IMO the only way for a team to elevate itself from the 7-9 to 9-7 win level is to have two or three consecutive drafts where you are hitting on 4 or 5 of your draft picks each year.  If you aren't doing that then you are just offsetting the guys you lose to retirement or trades due to free agency.  So looking at the last three drafts here are the top (5) players drafted by Miami, Followed by the round and overall draft spot:

2016 - Heavy on Offense

Laremy Tunsil, 1-13
Xavien Howard, 2-38
Kenyan Drake, 3-73
Leonte Caroo, 3-86
Jakeem Grant, 6-186

Overall I think you would have to say this was a successful draft for Miami.

2017 - Heavy on Defense

Charles Harris, 1-22
Raekwon McMillan, 2-54
Codrea Tankersley, 3-97
Isaac Asiata, 5-164
Davon Godchaux, 5-178

Although there are some bright spots in this group, overall at this point I think you have to say this draft was a failure.  Sure there are some bright spots here, but I don't think any of these guys have shown a dominance.

2018 - Mix of Offense & Defense

Minkah Fitzpatrick, 1-11
Mike Gesicki, 2-42
Jerome Baker, 3-73
Duram Smythe, 4-123
Kalen Ballenge, 4-131

Still early, but I like the top two guys.  However, if the bottom three in this group don't pick it up this draft year is a failure.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »

^2018--I can't agree with if a 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders not panning out, it's a failure.  They are all rookies still too, so they aren't really going to show dominance.  Plus Minkah is Elite, just hitting on that pick alone makes the draft successful IMO. 

2017--I can't say this draft is a failure either.  Harris has been buried under depth and had an untimely injury, disappointing he hasn't done anything as a first rounder yes, but there are circumstances.  McMillan is our starting MLB.  Tank has been disappointing after showing promise, and Asiata is a bust, but Godchaux is a big hit in the fifth round.

2016--Caroo was the only bust of that draft, big hits all around.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:15:54 pm »

2018 - Mix of Offense & Defense

Minkah Fitzpatrick, 1-11
Mike Gesicki, 2-42
Jerome Baker, 3-73
Duram Smythe, 4-123
Kalen Ballenge, 4-131

Still early, but I like the top two guys.  However, if the bottom three in this group don't pick it up this draft year is a failure.

I like the look of Baker more than I like the look of Gesicki so far. Not that Gesicki is doing poorly, but I think Baker is our 2nd best LB right now. McMillan looks horrible in my opinion. I hope it's just that he's still getting over his injuries and sophomore slump cuz otherwise he's a bust.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 02:24:17 pm »

I like the look of Baker more than I like the look of Gesicki so far. Not that Gesicki is doing poorly, but I think Baker is our 2nd best LB right now. McMillan looks horrible in my opinion. I hope it's just that he's still getting over his injuries and sophomore slump cuz otherwise he's a bust.

I'm not too concerned about most rookies, the only rookie I ever feel HAS TO make an impact is your 1st round pick, and maybe your 2nd round pick.  If you can't get that right then you're a terrible GM.  I thought Gesicki was playing ok, I've noticed him make some good plays.  Baker hasn't caught my eye much, but I'm glad you think he's playing well.  Although McMillan is essentially a rookie, I was hoping he would make more of an impact, but there's still time for him to develop.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:14 pm »

I don't think Baker or McMillian are doing the team much good. Kiko Alonso has a ton of tackles 6 yards up the field by cleaning up their mess.

2016 was definitely a good group and I think this year will pan out overall but 2017 was not very inspiring.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray