Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:09:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Time to move on from Tannehill?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Time to move on from Tannehill?  (Read 3971 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 06:36:28 pm »

That isn't what dead money means. Dead money is money that counts against the cap for a player who is not on the team any more. According to this site https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ryan-tannehill-9818/
Tannehill is set to make almost  $19M next year and almost  $20M the following. His cap hits are almost  $27M and $ 25M. Cutting him after the June 1st date drops the cap hits to almost  $8M and  $6M. That is a cap savings o almost  $19M next year. I'm not even an amateur cap student so if this particular site is off I apologize. It was my only homework. Those numbers make it clear to me though that he needs to be gone.

This is the elephant in the room that I think may determine Tannehill's fate with us.

We cut Suh who was a much more productive player for salary cap reasons, so would we continue to carry a player who will eat up an additional $38M in cap space when he could not be relied upon to take the field in the last two seasons?

I suppose the flipside argument is that by cutting Suh, we at least have to space to consider carrying Tannehill at least one more season... either that or we go hardball and renogotiate his contract again.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 03:38:16 am »

19 million of that is dead money and has already been paid to him. He's making an additional 13 mill next year and 20 mill for 2020.
$13 mil for next year is cheap. Even if it's $19 mil that's not horrible for a starting QB. If you draft a QB this offseason he should be ready by 2020 and that gives you 2 years of FA to find a FA QB as well. If you can find a better QB for cheaper I'm ok with that, but I don't think you will. You can find one off the trash heap for under $20 mil, is that really what you want? I think there are a few other contracts I would like to see gone before Tannehill's if it's cap money you are looking for.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:43:51 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 10:16:11 am »

Top free agent quarterbacks in 2019: Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown... Other possible options Jameis Winston, Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco or Case Keenum.--Mike Jurecki

https://twitter.com/mikejurecki?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1062527530437988352&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fmiami-dolphins

Any of those options look good?  Maybe Bridgewater, I'd take Fitzpatrick on a one year deal if we draft a QB.  No to the rapist, no to Bortles, maybe on Flacco? 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 11:47:15 am »

I'm thinking that maybe Le'Veon Bell would be a better free agent acquisition for 2019 than any free agent QB's. Drake is a better complement back than primary back and not sure that Gore is gonna be around next year.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:07 pm »

I'm thinking that maybe Le'Veon Bell would be a better free agent acquisition for 2019 than any free agent QB's. Drake is a better complement back than primary back and not sure that Gore is gonna be around next year.
Too much money.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 12:46:25 pm »

^this
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 02:51:16 pm »

Well let's just say for example that they cut Tannehill and draft a QB and decide to go with Osweiller, Fales and the rookie. Still too much money then? Rookie QB contracts are cheap. Basically you would be replacing Tannehill's contract with Bell's contract.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:54:37 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 02:56:05 pm »

I don't think there is a running back in the league worth the money he wants, and he's probably the best one.  That money could be used to fix some glaring holes in the front 7 and the offensive line.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 03:21:02 pm »

unless signing Bell gets you Pittsburghs Oline too,  it is a waste of money.  Bell is a great RB that has made the most of an elite oline.  whoever signs him is going to be disappointed with his lack of production assuming he gives a 100%.  And 100% effort is hardly guaranteed, once he gets his money, he is likely to care more about not getting injured than an extra yard.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 04:15:21 am »

Top free agent quarterbacks in 2019: Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown... Other possible options Jameis Winston, Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco or Case Keenum.--Mike Jurecki

https://twitter.com/mikejurecki?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1062527530437988352&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fmiami-dolphins

Any of those options look good?  Maybe Bridgewater, I'd take Fitzpatrick on a one year deal if we draft a QB.  No to the rapist, no to Bortles, maybe on Flacco? 

I don't know why some people here think Fitzpatrick is an upgrade on Tannehill - the guy is an interception machine, stick him behind our dodgy offensive lines and we will see Ray Lucas like-performances. Bortles and Keenum wouldn't be much better either - if we are looking that low in free agency we may as well keep Osweiler, there's no reason to spend an extra dime on these other guys for what will be the same if not worse results...

Bridgewater is an interesting prospect but may not be gettable, it seems that Sean Payton is very happy having him on the roster with Brees & Hill, considering how they are placed he would be crazy to move.

Flacco has (had?) elite qualities, but also is potentially an ageing, expensive bomb - how would he go without the great offensive lines and receivers he had in Baltimore?
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 10:03:29 am »

unless signing Bell gets you Pittsburghs Oline too,  it is a waste of money.  Bell is a great RB that has made the most of an elite oline.  whoever signs him is going to be disappointed with his lack of production assuming he gives a 100%.  And 100% effort is hardly guaranteed, once he gets his money, he is likely to care more about not getting injured than an extra yard.

^ ^ ^ ALL OF THIS

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 10:22:34 am »

I don't know why some people here think Fitzpatrick is an upgrade on Tannehill - the guy is an interception machine, stick him behind our dodgy offensive lines and we will see Ray Lucas like-performances. Bortles and Keenum wouldn't be much better either - if we are looking that low in free agency we may as well keep Osweiler, there's no reason to spend an extra dime on these other guys for what will be the same if not worse results...

Bridgewater is an interesting prospect but may not be gettable, it seems that Sean Payton is very happy having him on the roster with Brees & Hill, considering how they are placed he would be crazy to move.

Flacco has (had?) elite qualities, but also is potentially an ageing, expensive bomb - how would he go without the great offensive lines and receivers he had in Baltimore?
Fitzpatrick is behind a o line just as dodgy as ours.  I'd take him over Tannehill in a heart beat on a one year deal.  He's probably the best bridge gap QB out there.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 12:57:35 pm »

I have given Tanny the benefit of the doubt since day one.  He has been limited by poor OL play, injuries, etc.  But at this point even I have to admit that he is not the answer.  Game changing QBs are hard to come by.  I could probably count then on both hands with maybe a couple extra fingers.  So I don't think that taking someone else's castoff veteran next year is going to be what turns this team around any more than Jay Cutler did last year.  I know it seems that Tanny makes a crap ton of money next year, but given how the going rate for QBs goes up every year, is he really that much of a financial burden?  I think if I were calling the shots, I would wait and see where the team ends up this year in terms of final record and draft position.  See how that draft position stands in relation to the quality of the QBs coming out in the draft, and if those two things pair up, take a QB in the first round (but for god's sake, don't reach and take a QB just out of a feeling of desperation).   Let the rookie compete with Tanny during the spring and off season.  At the very least, let the rookie sit his first season while learning the system and the team can limp along with another year with a mediocre Tanny at the helm.  If I thought this team was playoff ready except for at the QB position, then I would have a different approach  But Tanny is not the only thing keeping this from being an 11-5 team.  Just my opinion and 2 cents worth. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 12:05:38 pm »

Did anyone mention Eli Manning?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 09:28:21 am »

Fitzpatrick is behind a o line just as dodgy as ours.  I'd take him over Tannehill in a heart beat on a one year deal.  He's probably the best bridge gap QB out there.
Seems like that oline only plays well once the starting QB is out. Winston looked like a stud and had plenty of time in leading 4 scoring drives in the last 1 1/2 quarters yesterday.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray