Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:24 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Time to move on from Tannehill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Time to move on from Tannehill?  (Read 3954 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:30:10 am »

I think he's a good player and I've defended him as our starter.  But it's at a point, where I don't think you can pay a guy this much who can't get on the field for three years.

I think you need to get another guy, for sure.  I'd be willing to keep Tanny, too, in the interim, or if he's willing to take way less money until he can stay healthy.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:56:23 am »

We've got a QB who is on the outs with the coaching staff.   Want him?

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:05:27 am »

I'm not keen on rapists Brad.

I agree with you Dave, maybe try to get Bridgewater or Foles and draft someone too?  Tannehill is okay, but we need better to make it to a Superbowl, or the defense has to be Baltimore/Tampa early 2000s level, which it is not.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 01:11:46 pm »

I'm definitely ready to move on. The problem is I just don't like many of the options and hoping to find the great unknown at the position doesn't happen much.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:23:08 pm »

He's missed like 26 games in the last three years so there is no way he can be counted on to be the guy. I've been a Tannehill supporter but all those hits appear to have caught up to him. For several years he was unbreakable though.

Not much coming out. Gase likes Luke Falk who should be back with us in training camp so there's that. Maybe bring in Bridgewater but not sure what other options we would have. Might have to wait until the 2020 draft. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:53:43 pm »

Might have to wait until the 2020 draft. 

Tua Tagovaiola.   If you're gonna put all your eggs in one basket, he's the guy to do it with.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 04:09:00 pm »

I think we should draft a replacement in the next draft, but I don't think we should simply cut him.  His contract is not crazy, it's about on par what you would pay someone who probably wouldn't be any better. He's better the Osweiller and I'm not convinced that we could find someone better for cheaper in free agency.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:16:57 pm »

We screwed him up so bad with new coaches and O-Line play that I feel he really could've been pretty good, but his time has passed. Only cut him if it saves a lot of cap room and we use that to fill in spaces elsewhere. Keep him if it results in dead money.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 11:41:58 am »

Tannehill's salary is roughly 26 million for next year but half of that is dead money from when he restructured his contract to help the team. This means his actual salary for the year will cost us 13 million for the 2019 season.

Tua Tagovaiola.   If you're gonna put all your eggs in one basket, he's the guy to do it with.
I'm on that train. We've been looking for a QB for so long that I'm willing to sacrifice to get one who has great potential. The problem is someone needs to make that call so we can start acquiring picks to move up and get him.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:45:32 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 11:48:21 am »

I think we should draft a replacement in the next draft, but I don't think we should simply cut him.  His contract is not crazy, it's about on par what you would pay someone who probably wouldn't be any better. He's better the Osweiller and I'm not convinced that we could find someone better for cheaper in free agency.

I'm not sure why you say that. According to the numbers I just saw,  Tannehill is scheduled to make almost  $40M over the next two years and will cost almost  $50M against the cap. If we are replacing him I say go all the way with it and cut ties because that is too much for a lame duck.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:32:18 pm »

I'm not sure why you say that. According to the numbers I just saw,  Tannehill is scheduled to make almost  $40M over the next two years and will cost almost  $50M against the cap. If we are replacing him I say go all the way with it and cut ties because that is too much for a lame duck.

so you are going to draft a rookie and have him start week 1? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 01:08:06 pm »

19 million of that is dead money and has already been paid to him. He's making an additional 13 mill next year and 20 mill for 2020.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 08:31:17 pm »

I'm not saying that. Nice try though. If they draft a QB as the future then you have to cut ties though. They can go the free agent jobber route for less. If you determine there is a new future, you need to put the past away is all I am saying. Does anyone really think Tannehill would even be a great teacher anyway?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 08:53:46 pm »

19 million of that is dead money and has already been paid to him. He's making an additional 13 mill next year and 20 mill for 2020.

That isn't what dead money means. Dead money is money that counts against the cap for a player who is not on the team any more. According to this site https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ryan-tannehill-9818/
Tannehill is set to make almost  $19M next year and almost  $20M the following. His cap hits are almost  $27M and $ 25M. Cutting him after the June 1st date drops the cap hits to almost  $8M and  $6M. That is a cap savings o almost  $19M next year. I'm not even an amateur cap student so if this particular site is off I apologize. It was my only homework. Those numbers make it clear to me though that he needs to be gone.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 10:53:15 pm »

I think that’s just an old mentality, that you need to sit QBs for a year.  You can play guys right away....and if if not right away, a couple of weeks in.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray