Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Injury Watch and Roster Transactions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Injury Watch and Roster Transactions  (Read 1898 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: November 20, 2018, 07:48:56 am »

Practice participation is going to be extremely interesting this week with a whole bunch of players possibly back from injury. Due to Thanksgiving, team practices are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Ryan Tannehill is throwing again. At stationary targets, but 50+ yards apparently without any discomfort. There are a few "steps" still to go in the process the team has outlined, so getting him anything much more than limited practice participation this week will be a struggle. The plan for today is for Tannehilll to throw at moving targets.

Another receiver down: Jakeem Grant was officially placed on IR yesterday, joining Albert Wilson.

The o-line was chopped liver last week. Starting left guard Josh Sitton was lost very early in the season and starting center Daniel Kilgore in the week 4 loss to the Patriots. Last week saw 3 starters sit out the game with injuries: Both starting tackles (Tunsil and James), along with Sitton's replacement Ted Larsen. Their status is up in the air and very much bears watching.

On defense, Bobby McCain is still in the concussion protocol after being on the receiving end of a dirty hit in the Green Bay game. GB wide receive4r St Brown wasn't even fined by the league for the hit, which I have a hard time understanding.

The roster churn ever continues:

DE Malveaux was cut and (re-)signed to the practice squad.
WR Brice Butler was signed after being cut by the Cowboys four weeks ago.
LB Martrell Spaight was cut (and picked up by Jacksonville).
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 09:11:50 am »

On defense, Bobby McCain is still in the concussion protocol after being on the receiving end of a dirty hit in the Green Bay game. GB wide receive4r St Brown wasn't even fined by the league for the hit, which I have a hard time understanding.

Fock this league.  it WAS a dirty hit and meant to take him out. He could easily got his body in front of him to disrupt a play by McCain, but he went for the knockout shot.  Dude should have been fined. I hope he breaks his leg or tears and ACL this week.

Been alot of railing on the LBs this year and I know they deserve it at times. Still think Kiko is having a hell of year, similar to the 2016 season for the Fins.  The other 2 are young, inexperienced and it definitely shows, but to be fair, if the DL isn't clogging holes up front or whiffing on the OL blockers, then these missed guys are getting to the 2nd level against our LBs. Not a good matchup, regardless for any team with this issue.

I know everyone likes to make a splash in the draft with a flashy OFF player (QB, Rb or WR), but you really, really need to build it from the ground up at OL and DL.  You get a unified line, you can get a lot done.

This has definitely been a HUGE problem for the Fins this season.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:10:02 am »

Fock this league.  it WAS a dirty hit and meant to take him out. He could easily got his body in front of him to disrupt a play by McCain, but he went for the knockout shot.  Dude should have been fined. I hope he breaks his leg or tears and ACL this week.

Been alot of railing on the LBs this year and I know they deserve it at times. Still think Kiko is having a hell of year, similar to the 2016 season for the Fins.  The other 2 are young, inexperienced and it definitely shows, but to be fair, if the DL isn't clogging holes up front or whiffing on the OL blockers, then these missed guys are getting to the 2nd level against our LBs. Not a good matchup, regardless for any team with this issue.

I know everyone likes to make a splash in the draft with a flashy OFF player (QB, Rb or WR), but you really, really need to build it from the ground up at OL and DL.  You get a unified line, you can get a lot done.

This has definitely been a HUGE problem for the Fins this season.

They have enough flashy Offensive players, I would love to see them just go after defensive and offensive lines....and a QB.  If they had a line that could stop the run and a solid offensive line, the sky is the limit.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »

Well, that was quick.

Gase announced that Tannehill will start against the Colts.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:41:51 am »

Well, that was quick.

Gase announced that Tannehill will start against the Colts.
Tannehill says he isn't 100 percent but he's good enough to play. I figured when he targeted this game two weeks ago that he would make it happen. The only chance he has of maintaining starter status in this league is to somehow pull this season out and make the playoffs.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 10:21:15 am »

Tannehill has the fire under his ass now, it's now or never.  Calling it now, win out to the rest of the way, Superbowl champs, COME ON GET HYPE!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:28 am »

it was a hard hit.  But it wasn’t late, out of bounds, or to the head etc.  McCain was trying to tackle the ball carrier and Browns hit prevented McCain from making a play.  I am all for increasing player safety but making that type of play a fineable offense would be going to far. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:42:54 am »

^It was a crack back block which is illegal.  Watch again, you're crazy if you don't think there is anything wrong with that in today's NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpLV7Tl0jYM
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:57 am »

^It was a crack back block which is illegal.  Watch again, you're crazy if you don't think there is anything wrong with that in today's NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpLV7Tl0jYM
Crackback blocks are only illegal if contact is made below the waist. As it is the play is nothing more than the what a trap play is.

While we have many useless protection rules you'd think something like that would be illegal and you'd have to block someone who wasn't looking and running wide open much differently.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:46:56 am »

Crackback blocks are only illegal if contact is made below the waist. As it is the play is nothing more than the what a trap play is.

While we have many useless protection rules you'd think something like that would be illegal and you'd have to block someone who wasn't looking and running wide open much differently.

Not true.  Read 1.(9)

9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

Crackback and blindside blocks are pretty much the same unless you want to really be a stickler about it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:00:18 pm »

Not true.  Read 1.(9)

9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

The offensive player was running way from his own end line.

It was a hard hit, but it wasn’t a block in the back.  It would be very difficult to make this illegal without getting rid of all downfield blocking.

Also even if Brown was defenseless Brown didn’t lower his helmet, leave his feet or hit McCain in the head. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:07:24 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 01:02:18 pm »

The blocker was running towards his own end line. His own end line is the endzone behind the offense. He was running towards it when he blocked McCain.  That is illegal
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:04:30 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 03:24:34 pm »

The offensive player was running way from his own end line.
Nope, watch it again. The player is clearly coming from beyond the 50 yard line and hits the defensive player trailing the play on the other side of the 50. He's clearly running back towards his own end line. He's not even running parrallel to his own end line he's running back toward his own end line. There's no possible way he's running in the same direction as the ball carrier so unless you think the ball carrier is running back toward's his own end line you are wrong. It was clearly a blindside hit.

It would be very difficult to make this illegal without getting rid of all downfield blocking.
Not at all, they already have. If you want to block downfield you need to be moving in the direction of the endzone you are trying to reach, not coming back in the opposite direction. So you can run in the same direction as your ball carrier and try to block others off the ball carrier, you can NOT run in the opposite direction as them and hit people above the neck or below the waist. That's the rule. He clearly violated it in my opinion. Not sure what you are looking at Hoodie but you're apparently not watching the right play.

Also even if Brown was defenseless Brown didn’t lower his helmet, leave his feet or hit McCain in the head.
It's pretty quick so without being able to slow it down it's tough to tell if the contact is to the head or chest area. I can only assume that the NFL believes that the contact was to the chest which is why they didn't fine him, but seeing as McCain was concussed on the play I find it hard to believe that he never struck the helmet at all either with his helmet or his shoulder. I still think it warranted a flag and a fine.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:48:38 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 05:20:11 pm »

The blocker was running towards his own end line. His own end line is the endzone behind the offense. He was running towards it when he blocked McCain.  That is illegal

All of this.  Pats don't follow the rules, why would their fans?

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray