Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:07 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What offends you today that didn't in the past?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What offends you today that didn't in the past?  (Read 5792 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:42:48 pm »

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is now offensive just as is Charlie Brown, saying Merry Christmas and even the song Baby It's Cold Outside to some people. While I find myself being less offended by things these days than ever before .... clearly others are the opposite.

Do these things now offend you and if so/not ... what do you think is in bad taste today that you didn't in the past?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:42:17 pm »

I think people need to recalibrate the word "offended" personally.  I don't think people are really OFFENDED by some of these things. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:37 pm »

There are many slang terms that I used when I was younger (e.g. "gay" to mean something is bad) that I try to avoid now.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:52 pm »

There are many slang terms that I used when I was younger (e.g. "gay" to mean something is bad) that I try to avoid now.

Yeah, add "retarded" to the list of words that I used to use capriciously, and avoid using altogether now.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:11:05 pm »

I really wish I could take the word fag away from it's negative history towards homosexual...although online gaming may have already accomplished that.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:44:38 pm »

I'm offended by people who are easily offended although that really hasn't changed much just how many people offend me now because of this.  Evil

#FirstWorldProblems.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:49:01 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »

I notice misogyny and am more sensitive to that.  And gatekeeping is a concept that I didn't really even realize was a thing before, but I find it kind of gross now.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »

Not even sure if it still exists, but years ago I stumbled across a Facebook page called People Offended by Offended People (POOP).    It always had some pretty hilarious content. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 04:03:01 pm »

Gatekeeping is just what people say when they aren't truly a part of something, stop hedging your bets.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 04:27:50 pm »

There are words and phrases my parents use that i used growing up that i no longer use such as faggot and indian-giver not because they offend me but might offend others.

I use the term “happy holidays” unless I know the person’s specific holiday.  Eg if they were buying an xmas tree or were wearing a star of david necklace. 

In general I am not offended by someone wishing me a merry xmas.  However, I did find it offensive when i was at the grocery store buying gefilte fish, matza, and various other item labeled kosher for passover and the clerk wished me a happy easter.  I said in good nature ”try again”. She said “what?”. “I am not christian”.  “I pray for your soul hopefully you will find jesus soon” Her final statement resulted in a very pointed complaint letter to corporate.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 04:48:26 pm »

Christmas is a day recognized by the US Federal government as a holiday.  Granted it is religious in origin, but it is the name of a day.

Its like saying "happy Friday" - to say Merry Christmas to someone - I just don't see how that could be OFFENSIVE.  Its not like the person said "you are ugly" - they are wishing you to have a good day at its core.  I don't care what religion you are, I feel like to be offended by that, in itself, is kinda of over the top.  Just my opinion.

However, I agree with Hoodie - that clerk crossed the line ONLY by the last statement.  And there's no rule stating you must be Jewish to buy gefilte fish and matzah.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 04:54:40 pm »

I simply don't consider the "mass holidays" like Christmas and Easter to be holy. The vast, vast majority of people I know celebrate them, but aren't at all religious (and, to the extent they are, of a variety of religions).
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:37 pm »

I think most Christians are aware that Jesus was definitely not born near the end of December, though I am unsure if most know that "Christmas" was specifically created to appropriate pagan winter holidays like Yule (as part of their conversion to Christianity).

As we've discussed before, Santa Claus, reindeer, decorated trees, mistletoe, holly wreaths, candy canes, etc have nothing whatsoever to do with Jesus of Nazareth.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:24:50 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 05:42:57 pm »

Gay, fag, and retarded I still use them and will continue. I'm not directing them toward gays, fags, or retards so I don't see who would get offended. And if they do, fuck 'em. Maybe people these days should stop worrying about what other people think of them.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 07:19:51 pm »

it was obvious i was shopping for passover.  yes some non jews like matza.  but they don’t buy multiple boxes of the over priced kosher for passover cake mixes that taste barely edible.  if you saw my cart and guessed happy easter was the way to you are an idiot. 

and wishing someone merry xmas is not the equivalent of wishing some one a happy 4th of july.  xmas being a federal holiday is just a symptom of our country giving preference to christians over every one else.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray