Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:09:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What offends you today that didn't in the past?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What offends you today that didn't in the past?  (Read 5934 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 08:58:35 am »

I'm an atheist, but it never bothers me when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, or kind words of any other origin.  In my opinion, people these days are generally a pretty surly and unfriendly lot.  So anyone who says anything to me where their intent is to pass along a kind gesture is going to be more than welcome. 

It takes quite a bit to offend me because the opinions of people outside of my "inner circle" don't really mean anything to me anyway.  Hoodie's story about the store clerk saying they would "pray for his soul" definitely made me shake my head though.  Good for Hoodie for bringing that kind of nasty, holier than thou attitude to the attention of their corporate office. I wonder if people like that realize that in their zealous efforts to "recruit for Jesus", their hypocrisy, condescending attitudes, and air of supremacy actually drive people further and further away from what they tell themselves they are recruiting for in the first place.   It reminded me of something I read once where the writer said "I don't have an issue with the concept of a supreme being, it is their fans and followers that make me want to have no part of it all."   

Going back to the OG question of the thread, I don't think I'm offended by anything today that didn't offend me in the past.  If anything, as I get older, I think I am offended by fewer things than I used to be.  I do believe that as a whole, our society has become astoundingly hypersensitive, thin skinned, and they seem to be constantly searching for something to be offended by.  And if they can't find anything truly offensive, they make some random thing offensive to them just so they can be offended. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 09:35:04 am »

Overly pushy Christians = Smug Atheist

Two sides of the same coin.

(Note: not calling you in a particular a smug atheist)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 09:58:05 am »

Overly pushy Christians = Smug Atheist

Two sides of the same coin.

(Note: not calling you in a particular a smug atheist)

I don't disagree with you at all.  Plenty of atheists are smug and look down on others for what they believe.  I don't condone their actions either. 
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 10:14:44 am »

Little girl beauty pageants offend me. I think they're at best child exploitation, but probably are actually child abuse.
Public sector corruption offends me.
That corporations are treated like people offends me.
Con artists offend me.

As an atheist, i'm completely NOT offended by religion, at all. people are free to believe whatever they want however they want. I'm as equally not offended by Scientologists as i am by Mormons or Methodists. I'm not one to judge people's beliefs as long as it doesn't affect me. Consenting adults and all that.

"Merry Christmas" doesn't offend me. I'd actually postulate that Christmas is at best nominally christian anymore anyways. I have a Christmas tree, lights outside, stockings hung, decorations everywhere and yet .. not a single mention or reference to the christian use of the holiday.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 11:45:52 am »

"Merry Christmas" doesn't offend me. I'd actually postulate that Christmas is at best nominally christian anymore anyways. I have a Christmas tree, lights outside, stockings hung, decorations everywhere and yet .. not a single mention or reference to the christian use of the holiday.

Kind of on with my point earlier.  Merry Christmas is no worse that "have a nice day" - except it identifies a specific day.  Unless you intend to find specific religious meaning, the American tradition known as Christmas has diverged from its Christian roots.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 11:48:31 am »

I don't disagree with you at all.  Plenty of atheists are smug and look down on others for what they believe.  I don't condone their actions either. 
Most Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, and people with other assorted religious beliefs think that their beliefs about religion are the correct ones. However, I've found the answer. I'm an Apatheist, I simply don't give a shit either way. If he's up there somewhere, fuck him. If he's not, fuck him again. Either way it doesn't matter..... Evil

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 11:53:35 am »

Little girl beauty pageants offend me. I think they're at best child exploitation, but probably are actually child abuse.
Public sector corruption offends me.
That corporations are treated like people offends me.
Con artists offend me.

As an atheist, i'm completely NOT offended by religion, at all. people are free to believe whatever they want however they want. I'm as equally not offended by Scientologists as i am by Mormons or Methodists. I'm not one to judge people's beliefs as long as it doesn't affect me. Consenting adults and all that.

My sentiments exactly.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:40 am »

Most Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, and people with other assorted religious beliefs think that their beliefs about religion are the correct ones. However, I've found the answer. I'm an Apatheist, I simply don't give a shit either way. If he's up there somewhere, fuck him. If he's not, fuck him again. Either way it doesn't matter..... Evil

I'm totally stealing "Apatheist" from you.  Love that.  I'm still searching for a religion that simply promotes "mind your own business and leave people the F alone."   Buddhism comes relatively close, but there is no way that I'm not killing a spider when I see one in my house.   Grin
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:36 pm »

I don't use words like gay or retarded as name-calling any longer although that slipped my mind. I also believe we used to call each other the N word but not as an offensive black thing. More in the dirty, poor person way. I had black friends spending the night as a kid so it wasn't like we thought negatively of blacks but I think I became more aware in middle school and stopped using it to attack people. That's been so long ago I can't even remember ever doing it but I know we did.  I guess I've eventually just quit using derogatory terms in general. Seems so odd to think I once did like it was expected.

I have no idea what gate-keeping is and while I understand Hoodie's anger from the Christian lady ... I would be willing to bet it came from love and not a "holier than thou attitude". In my experience the people who step out and say things like that in public truly do have a heart for salvation for everyone. I'm not talking about the street corner guy who attacks you with the Bible. Just the genuine people who reach out.  Whether Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist or whatever if you say you are going to pray for me I welcome it.  Lord knows I have much to work on and learn.

The latest outrage came form people attacking Kevin Hart for past jokes on twitter. He stepped down from hosting the Oscars as a result.  I think these kind of things only serve to weaken our society.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:23:41 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 12:28:49 pm »

I'm totally stealing "Apatheist" from you.  Love that.  I'm still searching for a religion that simply promotes "mind your own business and leave people the F alone."   Buddhism comes relatively close, but there is no way that I'm not killing a spider when I see one in my house.   Grin
I love a good debate on religion and I usually fall on the side that God doesn't exist. Do I know that for a fact? Nope, but I just don't see any evidence of a God. However, unlike most people, I admit that I could be wrong.

Having said that though, religious debates usually end in a stalemate and no one is going to change anyone else's opinion. Many Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, and people with other assorted religious beliefs usually take this shit way too personal and catch an attitude. Being an Apatheist fixes that problem. Since I don't take it personal and don't really care either way, it doesn't matter and I can move forward. Who the fuck wants to argue about that silly shit all the time?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:31:25 pm by pondwater » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:23 pm »

Isnt agnostic synonymous with apatheist?
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 01:41:14 pm »

and then i read stories like this, and remember this thread.  Agree or disagree...?

https://www.local10.com/holidays/christmas/principal-bans-candy-canes-because-j-shape-stands-for-jesus
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 02:12:25 pm »

Isnt agnostic synonymous with apatheist?

Agnostic = The existence or non-existence of a god cannot be proven so we cannot know for sure either way.
Apatheist = I don't care

So it's "I can't know" vs "I don't give a shit". Agnostic is a status of ones knowledge and/or belief, while Apatheism is more of an attitude.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »

Then I must be one because I don't care anymore  Evil
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:04 pm »

Then I must be one because I don't care anymore  Evil
I thought you was a Christian, maybe I was thinking of someone else. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me, haha.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray