Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:29:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What offends you today that didn't in the past?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: What offends you today that didn't in the past?  (Read 5794 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:27 pm »

and then i read stories like this, and remember this thread.  Agree or disagree...?

https://www.local10.com/holidays/christmas/principal-bans-candy-canes-because-j-shape-stands-for-jesus

This person just went too far.

Here's the thing -- this is a nuanced issue.  Certain things are religious decor.  Others are traditions that have their roots in religion but are not religious OR they don't have their roots in religion but religion has adopted them.  It's just a balancing act and people are going to over-react.  You just correct, adapt, and try to do better next time.

I have Jehovah Witnesses that I work with and we have to be more careful about their sensibilities in regard to holidays way more than with Atheists or Jews.  There will always be outliers, but the Atheists that I know (me included) are the most festive people around. 

If you're offended if someone says Merry Christmas, you're just looking to be an asshole.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 04:14:06 pm »

I just read that she (the principal) was put in leave by the school district so it looks like someone still has some common sense up there.

Fortunately the extremely offended are in the minority. Unfortunately people used to laugh at PETA and now they have almost succeeded in closing down Sea World ... among other crazy things they have going. I hope the extremely offended don’t get that same power.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 04:23:28 pm »

I thought you was a Christian, maybe I was thinking of someone else. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me, haha.

I am, I was saying I don't care about the subject matter anymore, being smart ass.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:19:34 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 01:24:09 pm »

The real reason to ban candy canes is because peppermint sucks.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 10:15:58 am »

they have almost succeeded in closing down Sea World ... among other crazy things they have going.

PETA is crazy, but they don't deserve credit for closing Sea World or zoos or anything else.  Sea World keeps whales in tanks that can't really house them, there was a documentary about it, and people (myself included) don't go there.  They are trying to keep up by changing towards a more thrill ride centric park, but they can't keep up with their competition.

You're giving way too much credit to PETA, which is an organization that makes headlines by being nuts, but has no real pull with the average person.

Sea World is failing because of capitalism.  With HD nature shows on demand on Netflix and all kinds of oddities on YouTube so many other opportunities to do fun stuff in the state, kids don't give a shit about seeing a whale in a tank, or a bear riding a unicycle or whatever else.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 10:23:35 am »

I agree Dave, they are crazy AF. 

Just a side-note, PETA euthenizes a shit ton of dogs and cats every year, and they do it under the guise of mercy killings.  They are a hypocritical organization filled with domestic terrorists.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2018, 03:10:40 pm »

I do IT work for a local SPCA and while they also "do not euthanize pets," that is not an ironclad rule.  If there is an animal that is surrendered with a problem that makes it unadoptable - say, if it is aggressive while feeding - they will euthanize it.  I wouldn't say this makes them "hypocrites"... it's just realizing the practical choice of filling their kennels with animals that can never be adopted vs. animals that can.  

Every animal that the SPCA turns down because they are full goes to the county shelter, where it will be euthanized after a period of time.  Decisions are not made in a vacuum.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2018, 03:40:54 pm »

To be fair, I find way more people offended by PETA's antics (which is ironic and also why PETA has crazy positions...it's to cause a rise and get people talking) than support PETA.  PETA is a fringe group -- they are the edge...maybe they help move the needle some, but are in no way indicative of the norm of people who care about animal rights.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray