Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:16:30 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  The crazy Pat wins masks a greater stink.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The crazy Pat wins masks a greater stink.  (Read 9079 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:45 am »

This isn't a criticism of Gase specifically or even the Dolphins, but of the NFL in general.  The coaches in the NFL (all of them) don't seem to understand analytics.  Coach after coach is chasing this old, antiquated mindset to extend the game and keep it close.  We punted on 4th and 4 with mere minutes remaining, giving the ball to Tom Brady with the lead. 

Under almost no circumstances does that win the game.  We needed one of the craziest plays in franchise history with no timeouts and no time left to pull it off.

I just can't wrap my brain around this kind of thinking -- the number of things needed to win the game when you punt away is huge.  You need to stop the other team and hope they punt you the ball back at the same place, but they're going to burn time and all your timeouts.  ...THAT....vs getting 4 yards.

The numbers just don't make sense.  Firstly, I think that all of these coaches come from generations of coaches in these coaching trees that all learn the same way -- extend the game, keep it close, win at the end.  I don't think that was ever smart and correct by the math of it, but it's even less true now as the rules change and offenses have so much more freedom.  Your NFL games aren't 14-9 grind out field position battles anymore.

Of course I'm super glad we won the game, but we essentially gave it away.  People may call out Gase for his conservatism, but it isn't Gase; it's the entire league.  The next guy will likely come in and do the same thing.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:29:51 am »

I agree. We play not to loose rather than playing to win. There is no way we shouldn't have tried to get a first down in that situation.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:33:51 am »

It's not just us.  That's what makes me so crazy.  It'd be way easier to just the play calling of one person, but it's every team.  We just notice it more because we seem to be in this situation a lot where we need it.  They all do it.  It's nuts.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:47:05 am »

Hear hear!

I haven't seen the numbers, but I have a hard time imagining that punting would be the better option.

I think the only thing that changes this trend is if the talking heads on TV call out the coaches as it happens. Just give the numbers and show how bad some of these decisions are.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:21:23 am »

I'm sorry but this is all just hindsight. The coaches don't have the benefit of hindsight when they make they decision. The reason that the last play was even necessary to win the game for Miami is because of what happened AFTER that punt and Gase had no way of knowing what was going to happen and you didn't either. Only AFTER it happens are you bitching about it. I'm not saying that you weren't saying that before the punt, perhaps you were, but you don't KNOW what's going to happen. If they go for it and don't get the first down it's a HORRIBLE decision, that is WITHOUT A DOUBT. Now maybe they do get the 1st down but that doesn't guarantee a win. Not even close.

The situation is that Miami is trailing 28-30. It's 4th and 4 from the 40 yard line with 4:38 left in the game and you have 2 timeouts left. Going for it is NOT the right decision. It's just not. There's A LOT of game left to play and there's a LOT of things that can happen. You can still win this game punting. If you punt you pin them back in their end. Maybe they muff the punt and you get the ball back and you kick a FG to take the lead or better yet score a TD to take the lead? Maybe your defense can force a turnover in their end and you drive for the winning FG or TD? Maybe your defense can hold them to a punt and your team still drives for the winning FG or TD? These are all possibilities that are at LEAST as likely as you making 4 yards on that 1 play that merely gives you a CHANCE to win the game. Now maybe if you are within Pats territory and a 1st down gives you an immediate chance at a FG and the lead then you go for it, but it doesn't. Not even close. Even if you GET the 1st down there's absolutely no guarantee you don't have to punt 2 minutes later with NOTHING gained. The risk is NOT worth the reward as you still may not even get into FG range with a 1st down.

Sorry Dave but you would make an even worse head coach then the head coaches in the NFL because you wouldn't have hindsight on your side. Second guessing is your right, but it doesn't make you right. The decision was the right one. Not because we won the game but because the circumstances dictated that decison at that time. Gase had no way of knowing that the decision would mean they would have 7 seconds to try to win the game on a 69 yard multi lateral impossible play THAT WOULD WORK!!!!! That's just how it turned out.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:37:45 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:34:52 am »

I think the only thing that changes this trend is if the talking heads on TV call out the coaches as it happens.

I don't think that can happen either, because the way you get to become a talking head is by being a player or a commentator that grew up under this same style of thinking.

I think you have to have an owner with foresight to understand business, and that person needs to employ a statistician.  I'm not expecting Gase to all of a sudden understand math -- it's not his fault.  You need an outsider to shake it up.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:44 am »

Just FYI the win probability indicator (which is mostly BS anyway but there's at least some math behind it I assume) I don't think really supports your notion either. Before that 4th and 4 yard play from the 40 it indicated NE had about a 70% chance of winning. After the punt NE had about a 74% chance of winning meaning that punting only lowered Miami's odds of winning by about 4%. I feel VERY strongly that if Miami had gone for it and not made it their odds of winning would have been lowered by MUCH more. NE probably would have had above an 80% chance of winning at that point. Granted that their odds of winning had they made it would have improved, but I don't think Miami's odds would have improved more then NE's would have improved had they failed and your odds of making a 4th and 4 are NOT very good. No where close to 50/50. Maybe 20% or 25%? So you are banking on a play with about 20 to 25% chance of making it to increase your odds of winning say 5% whereas if you don't make probably decrease your odds of winning by an even larger %? I don't believe that's statistically smart football and the win probability indicator doesn't think so either.

If you want to look at the tipping point in the game look to earlier in the game when Miami was winning 28-27 and had a 3rd and 1 from their own 44. At that point they had a better then 50% chance of winning, one of the few points in the game where they had that. Miami lost 8 yards on the ensuing play when Tannehill was sacked and the win probability flipped back to NE's favor that they would never relinquish till the last play of the game. They couldn't make a 3rd and 1 from the 44 to take command of the game but you think going for it on 4th and 4 from their own 40 is smart football? I don't.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:11:14 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:13 pm »

Once you go for it on 4th and 4 at your own 40, down by 2, you're not going to punt the next 4th down.   You're all in at that point, as well you should be.

Considering you're maybe 20-25 yards away from a potential game winning FG, I can't see how you care anymore about field position.  You have control of the game, and have been moving the ball well, so 2 minutes and 2 TO to gain 20 yards should be plenty.

A more aggressive coach rams it down your throat and takes the win.  To punt in that scenario is conservative, and you saw the result.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 02:36:17 pm »

A more aggressive coach rams it down your throat and takes the win.  To punt in that scenario is conservative, and you saw the result.
Or they fail to make the 4th down and give the ball to the Patriots at their own 40 yard line and practically guarantees that you will be down by 5 (at the very least) when you get the ball back and have to go the length of the field to take the lead or maybe even get you within 2. Conservative doesn't always lose (as you saw the result yesterday) nor does aggressive always win. I'd say by and large they are pretty equal in terms of winning percentage. The problem is that hindsight is 20/20 and it's ALWAYS the OTHER thing that would have won the game for you when you lose. Sorry but that's just not the case.

Going for it on 4th down there makes sense only if you are the better team and you are playing at home or if there are under 2 minutes to play. In that circumstance I would agree with you. Be aggressive and let the chips fall where they may, you probably won't hurt your chances of winning too much even if you don't get it but that's not the situation that Miami was in. Their chances of making the 1st down are low and their chances of winning even if they make it are still low. Their chances of winning by punting are low too, but better then if they don't make it. In that case punt the ball and hope for a turnover or something that gives you a better chance at winning the game, don't lose it right there with 4 and half minutes to go in the game. That would be second guessed even more I guarantee it because the odds are not with you that this will win the game for you even if you make it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:52:44 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 02:57:01 pm »

Pappy, I sincerely appreciate you giving me a well-reasoned answer that you attempt to support with data.  That's more than anything else I've heard.

That said, I don't agree with your numbers.

By the numbers, the Dolphins average 5.6 yards per offensive play (6.2 at home).  I think that the odds of converting are higher than 20-25%.  But also, even if you don't convert, you're not really in much different shape.  You still have to hold NE to a FG and get the ball back to score, you will just have more time to do it.

Or they will score a TD and you'll lose, which you would have, regardless.

I have a hard time believing that punting that ball leads to Miami winning that game 1 out of 4 times, which your numbers suggest...there's just no way.  And what Brian says is also true, once you make that 1st time, you're all in to win the game, so your traditional 3 down success rates go out the window.  You're in 4 down territory for the remainder of the game.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »

I don't think that can happen either, because the way you get to become a talking head is by being a player or a commentator that grew up under this same style of thinking.

I think you have to have an owner with foresight to understand business, and that person needs to employ a statistician.  I'm not expecting Gase to all of a sudden understand math -- it's not his fault.  You need an outsider to shake it up.

When I compare what is said today by talking heads (and coaches) to what was said 10-20-30 years ago, I think there has definitely been progress.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 09:56:20 pm »

That said, I don't agree with your numbers.

By the numbers, the Dolphins average 5.6 yards per offensive play (6.2 at home).  I think that the odds of converting are higher than 20-25%.
Average per play doesn't really tell you much. You could get 0 yards on 3 of 4 plays and then get 20 on 1 play and you have an average of 5 yards per play but only a 25% success rate of gaining 4 yards on a play. That plus 1st and 2nd down are obviously different from 3rd or 4th down so you can't treat all downs the same. Just look at conversion rates on 3 or 4th down for teams. Let's assume for arguments sake that converting a 1st down on 3rd and 4 yards is the exact same as converting a 1st down on 4th and 4. I don't really have numbers for that for Miami but Miami's 3rd down conversion rate for all distances is around 32% for the year. I think my numbers are pretty close since they are probably better at 3rd and 1-3 then they are at 3rd and 4 or more so it's probably a bit under that 32% or about what I said.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:07:35 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 01:58:27 pm »

I thought I already wrote this, but it's not here, so I either deleted it by accident or posted in another thread.

Anyway, I looked and found 2017 NFL league-wide statistics.  The rate of conversion on 3rd and 4 is 50%.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 02:05:56 pm »

I thought I already wrote this, but it's not here, so I either deleted it by accident or posted in another thread.

Anyway, I looked and found 2017 NFL league-wide statistics.  The rate of conversion on 3rd and 4 is 50%.
Lol ... you posted it in another thread. I was a bit confused.

I don't have Dolphins specific data, but 3rd down and 4 league-wide conversion rate was 50% in the 2017 NFL season.
I went ahead and deleted it for you.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:52 pm »

Lol ... you posted it in another thread. I was a bit confused.
I went ahead and deleted it for you.

Hah...thanks.  I thought I was going crazy.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray