Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:21:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Schad: Cut Ryan Tannehill? Hah. Miami Dolphins are blessed to have his contract.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Schad: Cut Ryan Tannehill? Hah. Miami Dolphins are blessed to have his contract.  (Read 4409 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: December 10, 2018, 03:25:57 pm »

Great article from Joe Shad. There has been a lot of talk about cutting Tannehill and moving on ..... which I understand but disagree with. I, like Shad, think you keep Tannehill and bring in someone to compete with him. He is definitely worth his salary  ..... comparatively speaking. His last three games have seen him throw eight touchdowns and one interception. That's pretty impressive.

The only quarterbacks in the NFL with a better passer rating at the moment than Ryan Tannehill are: Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan.

That’s it. Nobody else. Tannehill is sixth in the league in passer rating.

Do you think a team like the Giants, Jaguars or Bucs would like to have such a quarterback?

Since returning from a shoulder injury that caused so much pain it felt like he was being repeatedly stabbed, Tannehill has: eight touchdowns and one interception.

Do you think a team like the Bengals, Redskins or Broncos would enjoy such production?

In his last 16 starts, which the last time I checked comprises a typical NFL regular season, Tannehill is 12-4.

Do you think a team like the Raiders, Bengals or Lions would take on a quarterback with such a record?

Cut Tannehill after this season. Go ahead. My message is this: someone else will pay him.

And maybe it would even be the Patriots or Chargers, viewing Tannehill as a successor to Tom Brady of Rivers.

Go ahead, laugh. You need to get Tannehill jokes out of your mouth. Because nothing about his recent production is funny. It’s seriously elite.

“He’s played the way we needed him to play these last few games,” Miami coach Adam Gase said Monday.

Tannehill has been accurate. He’s made good decisions. He’s led the team to wins.

On Sunday, he played the second half despite a very painful ankle injury.

“Honestly, it feels like crap,” Tannehill said after the game.

Tannehill labored as he limped through the locker room to the showers after the game.

“Cajones grandes,” Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso said of his quarterback, on a live postgame television interview.

Nobody has ever questioned Tannehill’s toughness. He has always bounced back up after vicious hits. He’s always tried to play through pain.

“He showed a lot of toughness,” Dolphins running back Brandon Bolden said. “A lot of tenacity. He showed that he should be the starting quarterback. Hats off to him. Because a lot of people getting stepped on by a 300-pound plus lineman (Ja’Wuan James) isn’t getting up from that. But he came back and he fought through it. And he played his a-- off today.”

Tannehill has the respect of his teammates. But, of course, he’s never won a playoff game (he was injured in 2016). And so some fans and media have questioned if time is almost up on Tannehill, who is 30 years old.

If the last six games of this season really is the final referendum on Tannehill, so far, he has an “A.”

Many view Tannehill’s future through the prism of his contract, but I’ll gladly explain why it’s not out of line with his production, at all.

Some folks look at Tannehill’s $26.6 million cap hit next season, sixth-highest in the NFL, and try to figure out any way to make him go away.

So, yes, the Dolphins could designate Tannehill a post-June 1 cut and absorb cap hits of $7.9 and $5.6 million over the next two seasons. Yes, Miami could save $18.8 million of cap space next season in such a scenario.

But have you seen the going rates for replacement quarterbacks? Last season, Sam Bradford was paid $20 million on a one-year deal and Case Keenum $20 million annually on a two-year deal.

Tannehill will have two years left on a four-year deal that pays $19.25 million a season. Tannehill vs. Bradford vs. Keenum? This deal seems more than fair.

Tannehill’s passer rating has increased each season under Gase. So has his yards per attempt. The notion that Tannehill is an ascending player is not ludicrous; it’s accurate.

We believe some NFL team — maybe one of the aforementioned ones — would end up signing Tannehill to a new deal in excess of $20 million per season.

Should the Dolphins draft a quarterback in the first two rounds next season? Yes. We thought they should have last year.

Should Miami add legitimate competition for the next two seasons? Yes. We thought they should have the last two seasons.

But cut Tannehill without a clear plan to add a quarterback who is better? No.

The only quarterback who would even make sense to consider signing as a free agent this offseason (among players currently projected to be unsigned) is Teddy Bridgewater, who comes with some obvious health concerns. The prospect of adding Bridgewater would appease the “ABR” (Anybody But Ryan) chorus, but would but Gase’s offense undoubtedly make more beautiful music with Teddy under center?

No.

And the draft looks particularly thin at quarterback. Oregon’s Justin Herbert and Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins may stay in school. Heisman winner Kyler Murray is committed to baseball, according to his agent.

Would it make sense to consider drafting a player like Daniel Jones of Duke or Will Grier of West Virginia? Sure. But as a developmental quarterback behind Tannehill.

Yes, Tannehill. You remember him, right?

He’s mature. He’s got plenty of arm strength. He’s got plenty of leadership skills. And have you watched him lately?

Yes, Tannehill. Cut him if you dare. And watch how quickly some other NFL team rushes to the ATM.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181210/schad-cut-ryan-tannehill-hah-miami-dolphins-are-blessed-to-have-his-contract

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:10:09 pm »

I've been saying this all year. Tannehill continues to get better and is playing some of his best football in his career. He needs to learn to throw the ball away from time to time when the play is not there and avoid the sack, but other than that the guy is a baller.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:37:06 pm »

Plenty of other areas of need in the draft and free agency. We should definitely look to draft the next future QB, but no reaches.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 04:11:02 am »

I've been saying this all year. Tannehill continues to get better and is playing some of his best football in his career. He needs to learn to throw the ball away from time to time when the play is not there and avoid the sack, but other than that the guy is a baller.

Tannehill (and every other quarterback we've had behind center in a long time) should take a look at the tape on Brady from Sunday's game. While I don't think we have the luxury of throwing the ball away quite that often, I do think Brady does it exceptionally well.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:22:04 am »

Tannehill (and every other quarterback we've had behind center in a long time) should take a look at the tape on Brady from Sunday's game. While I don't think we have the luxury of throwing the ball away quite that often, I do think Brady does it exceptionally well.

I covered the team when Brady was in his younger playing days. He's thrown his share of really bad passes and was known to press the issue.  There were plenty of years he had 12, 13, 14 picks.  People don't talk about those years for two reasons:

1:  He has seasons where he's generally under 10 now
2:  It's easy to discount 14 picks when you're throwing 40 TDs

I'll never compare Brady to Tannehill, except one thing:  The most INTs Tannehill have ever thrown in a season is 17.  That's three off the pace of Brady's 14.  Outside of that, Tannehill is at 13 and 12.  Both QBs have also had handfuls of fumbles each year.

Throwing away the ball comes with experience (and time to do it). 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 09:09:15 am »

I hope they draft a QB just because of the injuries that Tannehill suffers but I kind of wonder if Gase will say Luke Falk is basically his new groomable recruit. It certainly doesn't look like they are willing to go out of their way to get a higher draft pick and this draft is looking to be pretty lean. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 09:19:23 am »

I say draft for Oline, Dline and LB.  Grab a QB in the later rounds if there is one, and ride with Tannehill next season, with something better than Brock as a backup.  If we suck next year, the draft following will be better to draft a QB in.

We're just going to forget that I wanted Brock as the starter at one point...I didn't know Tannehill was playing injured, he's played lights out since he's come back.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:26:40 am »

THIS.  I will be the first to step up and say I have been busting his balls over his play and the future hit on the cap space next year. i will gladly eat me words for they way he has played the last 3 games, even the loss in IND though I didn't put the loss on him but rather Gase & the Def

My contention with him has always been his decision making and lack of awareness in the pocket.  He possesses what every team wants from their QB, he's big, got an above avg arm, can take a hit, is mobile to some extent, etc.

I will be the first to admit that we (Dolphins) have been without a top flight QB for so long, I get frustrated/pissed off at the 1st sign of a QB making mistakes that you think should already be corrected or that he should know better. The play in CIN where he chucked the ball into the waiting arms of the defender and returned for a TD really pissed me off.  My thought was, "he should know better"  He's been in this league long enough to know not even consider that.  Then the last play where he got injured, his arm was jerked back, ball comes and they scoop and score.

Up until that game, he had been playing pretty good ball (except for the NE game) so it becomes frustrating.

I thought about this last nite when i watched Cousins play, late 4th Q, he had them driving in SEA territory and threw a bad pass to Rudolph on 4th down in the endzone when he had Thielan open underneath, who had beaten his man.

And thought, if he can make these mistakes, so can Tannehill without getting beat up on Twitter/press

So, after all that and my long winded speech, I think he can be productive in this league and for this team if the dolphins can protect him and keep surrounding him with the weapons his has. I like what he has in Wilson & Grant and if Parker can be more consistent & stay on the field, this could elevate this offense even more.

So, here's to hoping the Dolphins finish with a great next 3 games and he pushes them into the playoffs

Let's Go Phins!!!!

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:04:46 pm »

If they waste a high-round pick on a backup QB next season, I'll be rather upset.  They need to shore up the o-line.  Tannehill could be an all-pro with a servicable o-line. 

Too many positions of need on the team to try to address one of the only positions that has a capable starter, just because.  Tannehill haters will never be happy, they'll just keep hating the next guy, and the guy after that.  Some people are never happy.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 09:30:56 am »

There is some validity to the old saying that the most popular player on a football team is the backup QB.   Hell, I remember when Dolphin fans used to complain about Marino all the time. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 10:19:48 am »

There is some validity to the old saying that the most popular player on a football team is the backup QB.   Hell, I remember when Dolphin fans used to complain about Marino all the time. 
They were talking about this on the radio. As well ... the coach in waiting, or asst head coach, is typically the most popular coach on a team. hahaha

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 11:04:16 am »

This thread exemplifies both ends of the spectrum of irrational discussion regarding Tannehill. 

On one end you have those who want to cut him despite the fact that the Dolphins have absolutely no better options to replace him.  Ignoring that he is a pretty decent QB.

On the other end, you have his defenders calling him elite and claiming with a better oline he would be all-pro (best QB in the league).  No, he is not that good.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 11:54:37 am »

This thread exemplifies both ends of the spectrum of irrational discussion regarding Tannehill. 

On one end you have those who want to cut him despite the fact that the Dolphins have absolutely no better options to replace him.  Ignoring that he is a pretty decent QB.

On the other end, you have his defenders calling him elite and claiming with a better oline he would be all-pro (best QB in the league).  No, he is not that good.

That seems like a huge stretch to me. I see a lot of people wanting to draft another QB but don't want to give up on him. I haven't seen anyone who said he would be elite or the best QB in the league.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »

It’s seriously elite.

Tannehill could be an all-pro with a servicable o-line. 

And the article is arguing against the pro-cut Tanny people, not the the late round flyer qb people.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 02:09:13 pm »

And the article is arguing against the pro-cut Tanny people, not the the late round flyer qb people.
Quote the whole statement in the article. It wasn't saying he is seriously elite. It was his performance over his last 3 games.  "nothing about his recent production is funny. It’s seriously elite."

As far as Brian calling him an all pro I don't think it's unrealistic to think he could make the probowl one day. Matt Cassel and Trent Dilfer have played in the probowl. Modified to add Dereck Anderson, Kerry Collins and Vince young to the list of bad QBs. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:14:39 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray