Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:33:27 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Leah Remini and the aftermath of Scientology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Leah Remini and the aftermath of Scientology  (Read 17004 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:43 am »

As for why religious organizations are never held legally accountable for their action, I have no idea.  
Just so you know the Catholic Church has been held legally accountable.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/clergy-sex-abuse-has-cost-catholic-church-3-billion-in-settlements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlements_and_bankruptcies_in_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:48:37 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 11:35:15 am »

Just so you know the Catholic Church has been held legally accountable.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/clergy-sex-abuse-has-cost-catholic-church-3-billion-in-settlements

So 10% of what they are worth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+is+the+catholic+church+worth+2018&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »

You do realize that it's not just Catholics or even religions that have a problem with child abuse. Athiests aren't exempt.

https://www.newsweek.com/priests-commit-no-more-abuse-other-males-70625

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 01:09:36 pm »

That 3 billion number is just the US. The 30 billion I think is a worldwide estimate. Not really sure if there is an estimate of the Church's worth in the US alone. I'd seen a $9 Billion estimate but not sure if that was worldwide or US only. So might be as high as 1/3 of their worth.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:14:39 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »

But nowhere near to the extent that the should be. 
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2018, 03:36:39 pm »

You do realize that it's not just Catholics or even religions that have a problem with child abuse. Athiests aren't exempt.

I definitely agree with that.  Like most criminals, child molesters are opportunists and as such, they seek out careers that maximize their exposure to victims.  Hence, they go into careers such as teachers, the ministry, Boy Scouts leaders, etc. that give them both access to the age group they seek to abuse and also puts them in positions of authority in which they can intimidate their victims into not coming forth to parents/police/etc. when they are abused.  However, as abhorrent as it is for any group to molest children, when the supposedly moral and spiritual leaders of religious groups do it, it is even more repugnant to me.   People expect cops to be held to a higher moral standard because of their jobs and religious leaders should be held to a higher moral standard because of theirs as well. 
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2018, 03:56:28 pm »

Having a priest be a sexual predator isn't the fault of the catholic church.

hiding the fact, moving them between dioceses, covering up for them, enabling them  .. THAT's the crime.

so until you can show me some sort of atheist social club that ran a wide spread conspiracy to shelter sexual predators so they wouldn't get bad press and lose money, then you have a comparison .. otherwise, your point is garbage.

and really does it matter if it was 500 like the article says or "dozens" as the archdiocese claims .. "dozens" of cases of sheltering sexual predators would be enough to bring criminal charges against any organization .. but not a religious one
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2018, 04:08:46 pm »

A few flaws with that:

1. Even assuming if the incidents occur at the same rate.  Other organizations don’t protect the abusers.  Yes BSA leaders have committed abuse against scouts.  but when it happens they don’t reassign the scout master to another troop.  The coopeate with LE .

2. given the extent of hidden abuse there is absolutely no reason to trust the numbers, i would not be shocked if actual number of priests that have been protected was 10 times as high.

3 and this really important....with the general population almost all of the abuse is against family members.  with priests it is always someone elses kid.  and may sound harsh....but if Pappy is abusing his own nephew that is bad and i hope you go to jail.  but if Pappy abuses my nephew then i would fucking kill you the most painful way possible not carrying that i might go to jail.  Priests abused somebody elses kids. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2018, 05:03:52 pm »

I further don't understand church apologists who make every excuse in the book for the horrible things that the church allows and then covers up.  It is as if the pope himself could be caught on camera kiddie diddling and his followers would yell "Fake news!"    I guess there isn't a lot of incentive for these monsters to change their ways when they seem to operate with impunity. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2018, 05:26:51 pm »

3 and this really important....with the general population almost all of the abuse is against family members.  with priests it is always someone elses kid.  and may sound harsh....but if Pappy is abusing his own nephew that is bad and i hope you go to jail.  but if Pappy abuses my nephew then i would fucking kill you the most painful way possible not carrying that i might go to jail.  Priests abused somebody elses kids.  
I think you need to rethink this. So if your dad is abusing your brother he should go to jail but if a priest does he should die? Can't say that I agree with that in the least.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:29:09 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2018, 07:21:44 pm »

I think you need to rethink this. So if your dad is abusing your brother he should go to jail but if a priest does he should die? Can't say that I agree with that in the least.

not what i am saying at all.  my family isn’t fucked up like that.  if your family is and you abuse your kid, well then it sucks for your kid.  if you or a priest abuse my family then we have issues.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2018, 12:45:03 am »

This thread is basically a clinic on how members of a cult "belief system" can find excuse after excuse to explain away the misdeeds of leadership.

The irony is that the most aggressive attacker of one corrupt cabal is simultaneously the most ardent defender of another.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2018, 06:15:12 am »

^and smug atheists don't forget that part.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2018, 07:57:59 am »

Will it take away from the integrity of this topic if I use this time to say that I am undecided on whether I would do Leah Remini or not?  She is pretty, but she tends to get a little chunky from time to time. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2018, 08:19:15 am »

^I would  Evil
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray