Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:12:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Leah Remini and the aftermath of Scientology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Leah Remini and the aftermath of Scientology  (Read 16596 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2019, 11:13:00 am »

Who's giving a pass?  I don't see any of that article or post giving anyone a pass.  Seems like your splitting hairs between the scummiest of scum bags and the scummiest of scum bags that hide behind religion.

Bringing it up in general.  "Hey, by the way, other people do it, so..."

Doesn't need to be said.  It's the general "this happens in all walks of life" way of thinking.  One uses their power, influence and position to access their prey, making it worse.

I'm not splitting hairs at all.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:07 am »

So, in your opinion, does that put priests on the same level as the Hollywood pedophiles?
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2019, 11:44:19 am »

So, in your opinion, does that put priests on the same level as the Hollywood pedophiles?

Pedophiles = bad
Priest pedophiles = worse
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2019, 12:06:16 pm »

Pedophiles = bad
I agree with this

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2019, 02:11:37 pm »

They aren't all pedophiles!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47134033
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2019, 03:01:34 pm »

Let me get this right, we are attempting to give a pass to priests because non-priests are scumbags too?
No you missed the point. My point was that there's no more pedophiles in the Catholic religion then there are in the general public, in fact it's a lower percentage. There's been an attempt in this thread to paint the Catholic religion as harboring pedophiles. That's the exact opposite of the truth.

Pedophiles = bad
We're ranking pedophiles now? Sorry but there's nothing worse then a pedophile no matter their race, religion, sex, age, occupation or color of their shoes, so no.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:10:46 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2019, 03:07:28 pm »

^That's why I say it's splitting hairs
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:15 pm »

My point was that there's no more pedophiles in the Catholic religion then there are in the general public, in fact it's a lower percentage. There's been an attempt in this thread to paint the Catholic religion as harboring pedophiles. That's the exact opposite of the truth.
The issue is not the percentage of pedophiles in the Catholic Church.  The issue is that when notified of these crimes, the church choose to protect and defend these priests.  THAT is the problem.

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2019, 05:17:58 pm »

The issue is not the percentage of pedophiles in the Catholic Church.  The issue is that when notified of these crimes, the church choose to protect and defend these priests.  THAT is the problem.

Yeah, I don't see why that isn't clear. The cover up is the huge issue that's going on.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2019, 06:04:39 pm »

We're ranking pedophiles now? Sorry but there's nothing worse then a pedophile no matter their race, religion, sex, age, occupation or color of their shoes, so no.

There definitely be a higher standard for religious leaders and others in a position of trust. 

An elementary school principal that is a child abuser is worse than your run of the milll child abuser.

A high school teacher who is a pot dealer is worse than if a Walmart employee is a pot deaaler.

A s school bus driver getting a DUI is worse than if a mattresses salesman gets one.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:17 pm »

There definitely be a higher standard for religious leaders and others in a position of trust.  

An elementary school principal that is a child abuser is worse than your run of the milll child abuser.

A high school teacher who is a pot dealer is worse than if a Walmart employee is a pot deaaler.

A s school bus driver getting a DUI is worse than if a mattresses salesman gets one.
I disagree when it comes to pedophilia. I don't believe there is a higher standard for being a pedophile. It's not like we should allow ANYONE no matter what their profession or non profession to be a pedophile. They should ALL be treated the same way. We lock them all up. We can argue about what standard to hold pot dealers and DUI drivers, but not pedophiles.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:45:14 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2019, 06:42:58 pm »

The issue is not the percentage of pedophiles in the Catholic Church.  The issue is that when notified of these crimes, the church choose to protect and defend these priests.  THAT is the problem.
Thank you. The issues were being confused. THAT problem has been and continues to be addressed by the Catholic church and I hope that it no longer occurs. It's easier to file a complaint and complaints are now being taken seriously and all credible instances of abuse are dealt with including dismissal from the priesthood and assisting the authorities with criminal charges where appropriate.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:33:02 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2019, 11:03:16 pm »

I disagree when it comes to pedophilia. I don't believe there is a higher standard for being a pedophile. It's not like we should allow ANYONE no matter what their profession or non profession to be a pedophile. They should ALL be treated the same way. We lock them all up. We can argue about what standard to hold pot dealers and DUI drivers, but not pedophiles.

the proper analogy is that you have people convicted of murder and people convicted of murder of a police officer ..
both are murder, one of those is generally penalized more severely than the other
because it is in society's best interest to protect police officers in that way.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2019, 07:40:26 am »

ok that is fair.  Still doesn’t excuse the church for systemicly aiding and abetting pedephillas.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2019, 08:30:43 am »

The police officer analogy is a good one.

First, no one said they are ALL in this class.  I mean, come on.  Let's use some common sense here.  Additionally, no one is ranking.

A cop committing a crime has more resources to get away with it.  Does it make it right?  No.  But a veteran detective (example) has a greater understanding of the law and how to circumvent it, along with knowing what strings to pull (and having "friends in low places").  Additionally, it can be argued a person sworn to uphold the law should be held to a higher standard.

When a person goes to church they are seeking - whatever they are seeking.  When a family sends their child they are seeking spiritual guidance for the child.  When a priest specifically seeks out a broken home and preys on a child within that home, taking advantage of all of that; it is especially egregious.  The "person of cloth" has violated another person in several ways.  In spirit, physically, mentally; under the guise of being a pathway to a higher source to redemption.  

There is a special place in hell for them.  Or I hope there is.

And to clarify this in a very crystal clear way:  ANY person under ANY circumstance who violates a person under ANY condition is a sick ass bastard, period.  When you have special protections to do it?  You're at a whole new level.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray