Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:00:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Leah Remini and the aftermath of Scientology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Leah Remini and the aftermath of Scientology  (Read 16595 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »

Compare Catholicism to Scientology is like comparing Andrea Yates to Adolph Hitler.  Both are evil but one is way worse evil. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »

i don't buy that one is any less evil than the other .. i'm not convinced of that argument.  maybe evil per-capita is less for the catholic church .. but evil in totality could very well be that the 2 billion catholics are way more evil in aggregate than the tens of thousands of scientologists
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:49 am »

I'm just going to leave this little article right here.  Can you say "archaic barbarism"? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6492289/Terrified-girl-two-screams-Russian-priest-violently-forces-head-underwater.html?mrn_rm=rta-fallback

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 10:12:32 am »

i don't buy that one is any less evil than the other .. i'm not convinced of that argument.  maybe evil per-capita is less for the catholic church .. but evil in totality could very well be that the 2 billion catholics are way more evil in aggregate than the tens of thousands of scientologists
I have some issue with the Catholic Church but they fail mightily in comparison to Scientology. I'm strictly speaking as a religion/cult perspective. At least in the Catholic Church you can leave anytime you want. That doesn't appear to be the case in Scientology and the higher up you are the harder it is to get out.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 10:21:42 am »

Yeah, you can leave at any point in time, that's true. Of course, depending on your situation, you could be ostracized by your family/friends/co-workers, or you keep it quiet and live with it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 10:50:47 am »

Yeah, you can leave at any point in time, that's true. Of course, depending on your situation, you could be ostracized by your family/friends/co-workers, or you keep it quiet and live with it.
A person can be ostracized from your family for dating outside their religion or race. That isn't nearly the same thing in my opinion.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2018, 11:17:10 am »

Some of the terms that you should be familiar with if you watch the show or just wish to learn a little bit more about Scientology, Fair Game and Noisy Investigation. These are terms coined by Ron L Hubbard in his teachings back in the 50's and 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noisy_investigation

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 03:55:31 pm »

What if I just like watching Leah Remini?

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 05:23:05 pm »

What if I just like watching Leah Remini?
I think the Scientology one is the only one left that she's got still going. Smiley I did like her in the King of Queens.

She's in a movie that comes out next week with good friend Jennifer Lopez.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2126357/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:25:37 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2018, 09:23:19 am »

i just read an article about the Illinois AG claiming the catholic church is withholding names of 500 sexual predator priests.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/catholic-church-withheld-500-names-priests-accused-child-abuse_us_5c1ad131e4b05c88b6f48fbb

WHAT .. the fuck.

We have some lawyery people on here, can someone please explain why they shouldn't indite the pope under RICO for this? It's clearly a large scale criminal organization who's motive is profit and power.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2018, 09:29:33 am »

i just read an article about the Illinois AG claiming the catholic church is withholding names of 500 sexual predator priests.
can someone please explain why they shouldn't indite the pope under RICO for this? It's clearly a large scale criminal organization who's motive is profit and power.

The Catholic Church covers it up (and always has) because for the truth to come out would be "bad for business".   As for why religious organizations are never held legally accountable for their action, I have no idea.  But they certainly do seem to get a free pass in the legal world.  From the shadiness of their tax exempt status to the lack of legal action for them covering up horrible crimes (for centuries).   
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2018, 09:53:35 am »

^Why is the tax exempt status shady?  I thought all legitimate religions were tax exempt?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

^ They are. 

I just think that it's weird and has become a louder criticism of organized religion that I've heard over the years.  Say what you will about the dogma, but there's no doubt that religion is BIG business.  So, you have these places making money hand over fist and then are tax exempt.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2018, 09:59:54 am »

^^^ I consider organized religion's tax exempt status to be one of the 3 biggest problems facing our country today.

1) Lobbyists and the "politics for profit" mindset among politicians
2) Religion's tax exempt status, and corruption in God's name
3) Our two-party political system

I would have included "Reality TV" on that list, but you can always just change channels...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2018, 10:28:23 am »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/catholic-church-withheld-500-names-priests-accused-child-abuse_us_5c1ad131e4b05c88b6f48fbb

WHAT .. the fuck.

We have some lawyery people on here, can someone please explain why they shouldn't indite the pope under RICO for this? It's clearly a large scale criminal organization who's motive is profit and power.
Below is a link from within the article with the response from the Archdiocese of Chicago.

https://www.archchicago.org/en/statement/-/article/2018/12/19/statement-of-the-archdiocese-of-chicago-on-the-attorney-general-of-illinois-report-on-clergy-sexual-abuse

From the actual preliminary report....

"The Office found dozens of examples where the Illinois Dioceses failed to adequately
investigate an allegation of clergy sexual abuse it received from a survivor. "

The office in their 4 month investigation have found "dozens of examples" but they claim the number of unreleased names is 500. What's the basis of their claim? Just because there have been 690 reports and 185 publicly identified priests with credible evidence doesn't mean the remaining 500 all have credible evidence against them but were not reported. They only found "dozens". I understand this is a preliminary finding but it seems a bit preliminary to me to assume that all 500 reports about priests where the church deemed there was no credible evidence are in fact true. In fact the preliminary report doesn't even say there is credible evidence in these "dozens" of cases they just state that they believe the church failed to adequately investigate the claim. What proof do they have of that? Of these "dozens" how many are prior to 1991 when the church put in place many of the policies related to investigating and publicly releasing the names of priests where credible evidence was found? How many cases have have they found that the church did an adequate investigation and found no credible evidence? Not even once? Let's say for arguments sake there is credible evidence on these "dozens", that is definitely a major concern, but that's a bit short of 500. How many of the priests are still alive? How many are still priests? Not that either of those things absolves the priest, but would make it nearly impossible for the Catholic church to do a thorough investigation of the claim. The church is not part of the justice system. I'd need to see the evidence they have. At this point it's a preliminary report. If there really is a case against the church I'm sure it will be forthcoming.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:56:59 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray