Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:04:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Where do you stand on Adam Gase?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Where do you stand on Adam Gase?  (Read 9029 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:21:23 pm »

It's tough to rate Gase given the lack of a healthy starting QB, and a plethora of injuries.  However, I don't see the need to fire Gase.  I don't see where he has made bone-headed calls that have lost multiple games; in fact I can see where the Dolphins have over performed under Gase.  I think there needs to be better coaching on the lower levels - Strength and Conditioning improvement may cut down on injuries.  An OC that can handle play calling. Definitely need a better O-line coach.

I think Tannenbaum needs to go long before Adam Gase.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 06:38:06 pm »

give gase a 10 year contract extension .. stop changing coaches all the time .. it doesn't make any difference .. you need consistency in coaches and you need to build through the draft .. you can't build through free agency. it won't work.
Do you think the current situation in OAK is one to be emulated?
Would you be happy if Tony Sparano (RIP) or Joe Philbin were still coaching this team?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »

18 years. 18 freaking years since we had a legitimate team that had a chance to win it all.
16 years. The 2002 squad was the best team in the post-Shula era, but Ray Lucas took care of that.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 10:45:18 am »

16 years. The 2002 squad was the best team in the post-Shula era, but Ray Lucas took care of that.
I'd argue that would have made them not so good. Either way ... it's semantics and I'm ok with 16 years. Either way it's been a really long time since we had a good roster and there really is no excuse other than piss poor management. Ross clearly doesn't know enough to even put good people in a position to make good decisions. As long as he is an absentee owner ... it will be that way. Since his business is worth many times over what the Dolphins are I suspect it will always get his utmost attention. The Dolphins are just his expensive hobby.

I found it odd that Joe Rose said Dan Marino would be one of the last to throw anyone under the bus in the organization so Ross probably won't be speaking with him. Since Joe and Dan are friends I can only assume he knows what he is talking about.  My question then is ... what exactly is his role in the organization? Public relations? 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:26 am »

18 years. 18 freaking years since we had a legitimate team that had a chance to win it all. Dave Wannestedt proved good players could cover for a bad coach. I don't know that we've ever had a coach who could make our players better.

THIS 

Dave was notorious for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Still remember choking on the road to a shitty Vikings team and then turning around and having Ricky run for a bizillion yards against the Pats only to lose in OT cause he doesn't know when to use Ricky.

Wannstadt got handed that job from Jimmy, cause he forced the FO's hand.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 11:12:23 am »

Do you think the current situation in OAK is one to be emulated?
Would you be happy if Tony Sparano (RIP) or Joe Philbin were still coaching this team?

Oakland, no.  Pittsburgh, yes.

There have been some coaches that have been given to long of a tenure, but many more have been cut too early and replaced with someone who did even poorly.

Gase has a better record than Belichick had in Cleveland.

Can always find an example where something didn’t work out.

Question is consistency and letting a coach develop better or worse than changing coaches frequently hoping to finally hit one

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 11:25:52 am »

I found it odd that Joe Rose said Dan Marino would be one of the last to throw anyone under the bus in the organization so Ross probably won't be speaking with him. Since Joe and Dan are friends I can only assume he knows what he is talking about.  My question then is ... what exactly is his role in the organization? Public relations? 

Some link on his role over the last few season:
Dan Marino’s role growing in Dolphins organization
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/03/01/dan-marino-more-involved-in-dolphins-draft/

Dan Marino Enjoying His Current Role With Miami Dolphins As Adviser
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/06/15/dan-marino-enjoying-his-current-role-with-miami-dolphins-as-adviser/

2018 NFL Draft: Dolphins’ Dan Marino scouts QBs, leaves them starstruck
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/01/25/2018-nfl-draft-dolphins-dan-marino-scouts-qbs-leaves-them-starstruck/

It seems as though his role is expanding, but to what extent?  Looks like he not only evaluates potential players in the draft, but sits in on meetings as well.  I wonder how much he too wants full control on a particular area or focus cuase he knows the mob is fickle and might turn on him! LOL

I'm not a huge Gase fan, he's very brash and arrogant in the pressers, for someone who about .500 for his career.  But then again, maybe he's frustrating that guys aren't executing to the level he feels they should and knows that some of the injuries are taking their toll on the success of the team.

I'm for keeping him as coach for another year, possibly 2 yrs if he can show some big strides next season.  I want to kick Burke out and take away play calling from him as well.  I hate when the Def is on the field and he's being shown sitting on the bench going over offensive gameplan and charts.  I feel like he's disengaged from the flow of the game.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 11:28:00 am »

Ray "Focking" Lucas.  Who was the brainiac that thought since he could beat the Phins in the times that he could play us, that he would be the key to our future?

There's an embarrassing list of QBs that passed thru this team in the 2000's

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 12:09:20 pm »

Barry Jackson wrote this today

The Dolphins are allowing 402 yards per game, which would be worst in franchise history. Previous worst: 383 per game, two seasons ago (Gase’s first as coach).

Also, the Dolphins have permitted 5632 yards in 14 games — which is more than the 5475 that the Dolphins’ 2007 team that went 1-15.

Considering our offense has been almost as bad .... I'm not sure how Ross can justify giving Gase more time other than "just because".  The numbers certainly do not support it.  I mean ... it isn't like we are trending up in year three.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 02:52:08 pm »

Barry Jackson wrote this today

The Dolphins are allowing 402 yards per game, which would be worst in franchise history. Previous worst: 383 per game, two seasons ago (Gase’s first as coach).

Also, the Dolphins have permitted 5632 yards in 14 games — which is more than the 5475 that the Dolphins’ 2007 team that went 1-15.

Considering our offense has been almost as bad .... I'm not sure how Ross can justify giving Gase more time other than "just because".  The numbers certainly do not support it.  I mean ... it isn't like we are trending up in year three.
I don't understand how you can put that on Gase. He's not the defensive coordinator. He's not a defensive minded head coach. He leaves the defensive side to the defensive coordinator. It's his defensive coordinators that have been bad, not Gase. The fact that Miami is 7-7 with such a horrible defense is testament enough that Gase has actually done enough offensively to counteract the horrible defense. Miami went 10-6 and made the playoffs 2 years ago and that horrible defense. Give Gase a better defense, one that can hold onto a lead and help you stay close in the early parts of games till the offense can get rolling and Miami will win a lot more games. That's pretty much been proven with Gase's time here.

Maybe we could get lucky and Dallas will fall apart and Jerry Jones will fire the whole staff and Miami could get Rod Marinelli to be defensive coordinator. The Cowboys defensive roster isn't that good, it really isn't. Marinelli has them playing way above their heads. I'd love to see him coach here with Gase.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:19:38 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 03:33:28 pm »

I don't understand how you can put that on Gase. He's not the defensive coordinator. He's not a defensive minded head coach. He leaves the defensive side to the defensive coordinator. It's his defensive coordinators that have been bad, not Gase. The fact that Miami is 7-7 with such a horrible defense is testament enough that Gase has actually done enough offensively to counteract the horrible defense.
MIA is 23rd in the league in scoring.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:01 pm »

I don't understand how you can put that on Gase. He's not the defensive coordinator. He's not a defensive minded head coach. He leaves the defensive side to the defensive coordinator. It's his defensive coordinators that have been bad, not Gase. The fact that Miami is 7-7 with such a horrible defense is testament enough that Gase has actually done enough offensively to counteract the horrible defense. Miami went 10-6 and made the playoffs 2 years ago and that horrible defense. Give Gase a better defense, one that can hold onto a lead and help you stay close in the early parts of games till the offense can get rolling and Miami will win a lot more games. That's pretty much been proven with Gase's time here.

Maybe we could get lucky and Dallas will fall apart and Jerry Jones will fire the whole staff and Miami could get Rod Marinelli to be defensive coordinator. The Cowboys defensive roster isn't that good, it really isn't. Marinelli has them playing way above their heads. I'd love to see him coach here with Gase.
Gase isn't the offensive coordinator. He is the head coach and as such the whole team is his responsibility.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 01:14:53 pm »

MIA is 23rd in the league in scoring.
And they are 30th in the league in being scored against. If they were 20th in the league in being scored against I'd bet that Miami would be in the top 15 in scoring. You have to have the ball to score and field position also plays a big part of scoring. Miami's defense is so bad unless they get a turnover Miami is typically starting drives from their own 25. Now you can argue that a lack of scoring on the offensive end of the field also means the defense gives up more points, but then I'd argue that Miami has one of the best punters in the league so that's not really all that true. Haack does a pretty good job of flipping the field the problem is that the defense rarely holds a team to a 3 and out. When they don't give up points they are still forcing the offense to drive the length of the field to score.

That's just my opinion I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:16:53 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 01:20:04 pm »

Gase isn't the offensive coordinator. He is the head coach and as such the whole team is his responsibility.
Then have Gase fire the offensive and defensive coordinators. I'm down with that.

Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 05:45:09 pm »

Up to this game, many sources, (wish I had saved them) were saying Gase had this team overperforming and that they were better than their record.

I disagree.  They should be 9-5.  They blew double-digit leads to Cin and Indy.

He has been nothing more than a really lucky Joe Philbin.

I said it before, and I will say it again.  If Miami does not make the playoffs, he needs to go.

I also think Gase has to go...The team is not trending in the right direction. Defense is playing better than offense, which is Gase's specialty. I honestly thought he was overrated from the beginning. Peyton Manning will make alot of coaches look good, just like Aaron Rodgers. And Miami hired both of those rookie coaches (Joe Philbin, Adam Gase) and its a bust. I'd hire more experienced HC, maybe defensive minded, bring in good OC, and DEF bring in a new QB that can either rplace Tannehill or back him up and as soon as team is struggling plug in the new QB and thats it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray