Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:20:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Where do you stand on Adam Gase?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Where do you stand on Adam Gase?  (Read 8970 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »

Defense is playing better than offense, which is Gase's specialty.
No they're not. Let's look at some stats:

2018 Offense
Yards per play: 5.5
Yards per play rank: 21
Points per game: 21.1
Points per game rank: 23

2018 Defense
Yards per play: 6.2
Yards per play rank: 31
Points per game: 26.7
Points per game rank: 27
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:37:38 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 10:12:04 pm »

1) The head coach is responsible for the performance of the defense AND offense.  Again, Gase is not offensive coordinator.
2) Even if we completely ignore the defense, the offense has been pathetic.  The best the offense has ever performed under Gase was 17th (i.e. bottom half of the league).  And when Ryan Tannehill - who is no amazing star in this league! - went down and Gase handpicked his guy to pay $10M for one season, the offense finished 28th.  Gase's response to this was... to get rid of his two best offensive skill position players.

edit: One more thing:

And they are 30th in the league in being scored against. If they were 20th in the league in being scored against I'd bet that Miami would be in the top 15 in scoring.
The team directly behind the Dolphins (27th, 374) in points against is the Kansas City Chiefs (28th, 380).
KC is 1st in scoring.  MIA is 23rd.
Explain how your defense allowing lots of points means your offense cannot be any good.

edit: OK, I lied.  ANOTHER thing:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct

MIA is 30th in the league in total number of first downs and 31st in third-down conversion percentage.  KC's defense is worse than MIA's and they are #1 in total first downs, #4 in third-down conversion percentage.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:25:38 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 11:34:05 pm »

2) Even if we completely ignore the defense, the offense has been pathetic.
Why should we ignore the defense? It's a team game. There's plenty of people pointing out the flaws in the offense, I'm just trying to counter that rhetoric.

edit: One more thing:
The team directly behind the Dolphins (27th, 374) in points against is the Kansas City Chiefs (28th, 380).
KC is 1st in scoring.  MIA is 23rd.
Explain how your defense allowing lots of points means your offense cannot be any good.

edit: OK, I lied.  ANOTHER thing:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct

MIA is 30th in the league in total number of first downs and 31st in third-down conversion percentage.  KC's defense is worse than MIA's and they are #1 in total first downs, #4 in third-down conversion percentage.
I didn't say it's couldn't be done I said it makes it harder on your offense when your defense is bad which it does. The fact that KC has been able to overcome it just makes it that much more remarkable for KC's offense.

I'm not trying to prop up Miami's offense, I'm just saying the defense has been worse and they haven't lost as many players to injury as the offense has. Miami's offense was better before Josh Sitton, Daniel Kilgore, Ryan Tannehill, Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant went down to injury. It's a shell of it's former self. The defense hasn't lost anywhere near as many key players for long stretches of time as the offense.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 02:03:32 am »

Why should we ignore the defense? It's a team game. There's plenty of people pointing out the flaws in the offense, I'm just trying to counter that rhetoric.
Let me clarify my statement:

Even if we completely ignore the defense that Adam Gase - as the head coach - is responsible for, the offense (that he's also responsible for!) has been pathetic, too.

I didn't say it's couldn't be done I said it makes it harder on your offense when your defense is bad which it does.
It also makes it harder on your defense when your offense can't get a first down and the defense is on the field all game.

On a related note, MIA is 31st in time of possession.

Miami's offense was better before Josh Sitton, Daniel Kilgore, Ryan Tannehill, Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant went down to injury. It's a shell of it's former self.
Josh Sitton played one game this year.  It's silly to call the offense "a shell of it's former self" based on a single (seven-hour-long!) game.

But fine, let's go with Kilgore.  He was lost for the season after Week 4.  So what were MIA's offensive rankings after 4 games?

Scoring: 26th (now: 23rd!)
Yards per game: 30th (now: 29th)
Third-down conversion %: 27th (now: 31st)
Time of possession: 30th (now: 31st)

That's not "a shell of its former self." That's virtually the same team.

At that point, MIA was as healthy as can reasonably be expected and half of their games were against two of the worst teams in the league.  This was Adam Gase's offense operating at peak 2018 performance.  Every ranking was between 26 and 30.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:40:45 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 08:56:01 am »

There is of course more to wins and losses than just the coach, but at the end of the day, coaches are deemed successful or unsuccessful based solely on their record.  Not saying that I'm a Gase fan, but if you look back on the last 14 years, the Fins' record under numerous coaches shows that their problems run deeper than just who the head coach is.  

Coach          Year                  Wins      Losses    Pct.
Jim Bates     2004                    3            4         .429
Nick Saban   2005 - 2006         15          17       .469
Cameron      2007                    1            15      .063
Sparano       2008 - 2011         29          32       .475
Bowles         2011                   2            1         .667
Philbin         2012 - 2015         24           28      .462   
Campbell     2015                    5             7        .417
Gase            2016 - Present      23          23       .500  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:26:03 pm by Dolphster » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 01:40:11 pm »

Let me clarify my statement:

Even if we completely ignore the defense that Adam Gase - as the head coach - is responsible for, the offense (that he's also responsible for!) has been pathetic, too.

It also makes it harder on your defense when your offense can't get a first down and the defense is on the field all game.

On a related note, MIA is 31st in time of possession.
Josh Sitton played one game this year.  It's silly to call the offense "a shell of it's former self" based on a single (seven-hour-long!) game.

But fine, let's go with Kilgore.  He was lost for the season after Week 4.  So what were MIA's offensive rankings after 4 games?

Scoring: 26th (now: 23rd!)
Yards per game: 30th (now: 29th)
Third-down conversion %: 27th (now: 31st)
Time of possession: 30th (now: 31st)

That's not "a shell of its former self." That's virtually the same team.

At that point, MIA was as healthy as can reasonably be expected and half of their games were against two of the worst teams in the league.  This was Adam Gase's offense operating at peak 2018 performance.  Every ranking was between 26 and 30.
I must be honest that I did go look for these stats but couldn't find them and I am rather shocked by them. The offense has been even worse then I thought. Still it reinforces the idea that Miami at 7-7 has outperformed expectations. I'm willing to give Gase another year or 2 to see if he can continue to make over the roster and see what he can do with a better roster.

Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 10:00:55 pm »

Currently, Miami is the only team in the NFL that is ranked in the bottom 5 in total Offense and total Defense!!!
That is embarrassing. Someone has to be accountable for this, its B.S !!! And its one thing if Miami finishes with a losing record but they are trending in the right direction, but instead Miami is getting worse and worse year after year since Gase took over. I know HC and QBs get too much credit when team wins and most blame if they lose. But in this situation, Gase is responsible for the entire team, OFF & DEF. Unless he fires himself first, he's gotta go after an experience DEF cord. There might be few good ones available after the season. For ex. Todd Bowels, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis maybe? someone who's been around for a while instead of all these first time coaches Miami/Gase picks. Im tired of rookie head coaches! If Mark Shwartz would be interested in Miami's job, I'd fire Gase as soon as id find out if I was VP, or GM. Another guy, despite some ppl not liking him that I would offer a HC job or at leas DC is Greg Williams, that guy always makes defenses better wherever he goes.
I dont even wanna think too much about it, but if Miami doesnt release Tannebuam and/or Gase, Im gonna be really pissed. Miamis DEF sucked under Vance Joseph too, Gase promoted Matt Burke but after seeing that their currents defensive system is not working, why hold onto those guys. Maybe keep some but it makes sense to go after a good DC duhh. Ughhhhh!!!
And to make evrything even worse, Gase decided to get rid of some of Miami's bet players in the same season. (Suh, Pouncey, Ajayi, Landry) Couple are understandable, but I'd keep Landry and pay the man cuz he sure eserved it. He was Miamis best offensive player and most consistent since prolly Ricky Williams. Instead Gase wanted A.Wilson and D.Amendola. instead. As good as Wilson looked early on, Landry was a proven playmaker! And for Miami not to rewrd him with a new contract is B.S. If right now Miami had Stills, Landry and Parker as 3 starting WRs im sure we'd be in much better spot. I think its time for Tannehill to be o his way out. If Miami can get a very good QB thru the draft im def taking him. Even 1st rounder. RT had 7 years to be the QB for this team, obviously its not working!! Bring a good rookie to be the future or go after QBs like Brigewater if possible!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »

I think today's game kind of sealed his fate. Injuries really sucked this year, but we had back to back miracle wins against Buffalo and New England, so it's not like we are much better than our record.

Take the O-Line coach with you too, since apparently they are always worthless.
Seafort

Email
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2018, 08:35:02 pm »

Gase is an automaton.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2018, 10:00:20 am »

if this is correct gase stays, tannenbum is out

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2018, 10:14:14 am »

Report: Dolphins Expected To Fire Mike Tannenbaum, Keep Head Coach Adam Gase

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/26/miami-dolphins-mike-tannenbaum-hot-seat?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&__twitter_impression=true
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 10:27:51 am »

rumors are marino will take tannenbaums's job
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 10:31:58 am »

Didn't he do that already and then resigned a couple months later?
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 12:02:09 pm »

in 2004
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 12:05:11 pm »

^Man, time flies, that felt like just a few year ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray