Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Why the Dolphins will never permanently switch to the throwback uniforms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Why the Dolphins will never permanently switch to the throwback uniforms  (Read 8263 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: December 17, 2018, 06:50:46 pm »

From another thread:

Your all wrong.  The game ball goes to whoever made the decision to wear the throwback uni's for a second week in a row.  When will management admit their error and go back to the old uniforms & logo?

This past week that was a really hot topic on the radio. I even heard two people, one ebing Patriots radio broadcaster Scott Zolak, and the other being someone from ESPN ... saying that the fans need to do whatever possible to make the team go back to the old colors, uni and logo. Scott Zolak said this unprompted so you know he really feels that way.

There was a lot of hate for the cartoon whale/dolphin we now use as well as the colors. Our uniforms are a perfect example of our team outsmarting themsleves.
Allow me to retort:

https://www.nflshop.com/miami-dolphins/vintage-clothing/t-36151427+c-90841058+z-998-103385565

You guys can buy all the throwback gear you want, right now!

Dolphins' management has achieved exactly the intended outcome: they can sell new uniform gear to the people who like the new logo/colors, and sell throwback gear to those who don't.  Why should they eliminate one set of gear sales?

In conclusion, I give you the gold standard of this strategy, who will also never make the change back (for exactly the same reasons):

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:19:13 pm »

I'd just like to add one opinion from the viewpoint (from 2016) of a Patriots fan asked to choose between Pat Patriot and the Flying Elvis:

Like the confederate flag and the swastika, flying elvis can be shown within peoples' homes, but belongs nowhere near the team's helmets on the field. They've won four Super Bowls dressed like morons; real Patriots fans want to see their actual team on the field win one-for the first time-they need to simply wear the 2012 "throwbacks" permanently, for every game. Krafts can do what they want off the field, but on it 99% of fans want to be able to turn on the TV and say "Why, I know them...That's the New England Patriots; I've rooted for them since the sixties, I'm proud they represent us!!" Instead of today, when they say, "Who the hell is that? I don't know, some ugly team from Birmingham or Memphis or something...their team, especially the quarterback, are playing great but their logo and uniforms sure are God-awful..."

I mention this to make the point that people are resistant to change, even when the original is terrible and clownish.  Now, I don't think the original Dolphins logo is as bad as Pat Patriot - nothing could be that bad.  But here you have an example of a team that went from a buffoonish logo to a reasonable one, and immediately went from the laughingstock of the league to a powerhouse... and people STILL pine for the old uniforms of the garbage era!

The closest possible analog would be Buccaneers fans clamoring to return to the days of the Bucco Bruce creamsicles... but if TB had won four more SBs with the Jolly Roger.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:49:24 am »

I prefer the old logo over new.  (both NE and Mia) but Spider has it right from a marketing standpoint.  Kraft is making coin selling both logos and you see both everywhere.  I personally don’t know anyone who would compare either logo to the confederate flag.  From a financial standpoint there is no advantage of having just one logo.  Has anybody not attended a game or watched it on TV because they disapproved of the uniform?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:58:45 am »

I prefer the old logo over new.  (both NE and Mia) but Spider has it right from a marketing standpoint.  Kraft is making coin selling both logos and you see both everywhere.  I personally don’t know anyone who would compare either logo to the confederate flag.  From a financial standpoint there is no advantage of having just one logo.  Has anybody not attended a game or watched it on TV because they disapproved of the uniform?
No but years later I still get picked on about it. Let's face it ... its not a very masculine color scheme or logo. It's embarrassing and according from what some of the players are saying it seems like they feel the same. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »

No but years later I still get picked on about it. Let's face it ... its not a very masculine color scheme or logo. It's embarrassing and according from what some of the players are saying it seems like they feel the same. 

“Only a man that is truly comfortable in his own masculinity can wear pink.”  Same can be said for the Dolphin’s pastels.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 12:12:02 pm »

^^^^  Cheesy LOL ... there is some truth to that. I actually think pink is a better look. Some soccer teams wear pink.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 12:16:20 pm »

The whole philosophy is flawed though by saying one has to be ugly. You can have two different sets of uniforms that look good. People loved the navy they had years back. I don't think it ever made it onto the field but fans bought a ton. As well, the orange jersey sold a ton as well.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:51:49 pm »

“Only a man that is truly comfortable in his own masculinity can wear pink.” 
Hahaha, that's rich. Now I've heard it all. No offense to anyone who wears pink. However, grown ass men who wear pink look down right silly. Unless of course it's Easter or Halloween, LMFAO......

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 02:32:06 pm »

Breaking news ... Crowder and Hochman just announced on the radio that after a huge response on twitter to Tom Garfinkel that he has requested to wear the throwbacks again this weekend with retro end zone and the NFL has granted permission. Saweet! 

At least one positive going into this game.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »

Hahaha, that's rich. Now I've heard it all. No offense to anyone who wears pink. However, grown ass men who wear pink look down right silly. Unless of course it's Easter or Halloween, LMFAO......
Thanks dude.  I have some pink shirts that I wear.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:27 pm »

Ultimately, I just don't see how the difference between this:

and this:

...is enough to call the new uniforms hideous and insulting.

As I've said before, I've love it if the new uniforms went to the same shade of aqua as the throwbacks.  But the idea that we, as fans, are embarrassed more by the "cartoon whale" than the previous "cartoon whale wearing a football helmet" is silly.  I'll happily take the new aqua if it means we don't have to go back to the old logo.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:53:25 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 03:51:40 pm »

Thanks dude.  I have some pink shirts that I wear.
In my defense, I did say "no offense", bwahahaha. Just my opinion on men wearing pink. If it makes you feel better though, I find many things distasteful. Wearing camouflage in public. It may be ok to wear up to the gas station for another six pack, but you wouldn't believe how many people I see going out to eat, shopping, and/or basically living in camo. Another one is those bedazzled jeans with all the stitching and fake rhinestones. Tacky, tacky, tacky.....

Ultimately, I just don't see how the difference between this:
I would venture to guess that most Dolphin fans disagree with you.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »

In my defense, I did say "no offense", bwahahaha. Just my opinion on men wearing pink. If it makes you feel better though, I find many things distasteful. Wearing camouflage in public. It may be ok to wear up to the gas station for another six pack, but you wouldn't believe how many people I see going out to eat, shopping, and/or basically living in camo.

But how do you see them?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 03:56:14 pm »

When I finally had the opportunity to go a Dolphins home game back in 2016, I was shocked to see that the overwhelming majority of fans were wearing new logo gear.  (This was a throwback game, BTW.)  After all the squawking about how terrible the new logo and new uniforms are, the reality of what fans were wearing simply did not match up.

So I humbly suggest that the opinions of some loud fans on the internet or talk radio do not necessarily represent most of the Dolphin fanbase.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 04:02:31 pm »

I like the throwbacks best, but I also like the new logo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray