Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:27:43 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tanking for a better draft pick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tanking for a better draft pick  (Read 5079 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:45:33 am »

We are currently in the 16th position but could move down to 10-11 with 2 losses and some luck.  Is this something you would hope for or do you find the idea revolting?

Great conversation between Channing Crowder and Randy McMichael on the radio yesterday. They were discussing how fans root for teams to tank for better draft picks. Both of them agreed no player would ever say that and in fact would be pissed to hear someone say that. Randy mentioned that you never know if that pick will be your replacement so you play your ass off every game to keep your job regardless.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:03:31 pm »

being a fan and being a player are two different things....

at this point many of the players are playing to keep their job or impress the next team. 

dare say the same is true for the coaching staff as well.  Gases job could hinge on the next two games.

i could see a situation where the very final game is the difference between 1 and 2 where an owner or safe GM could tell a hc your job is safe for next year....but i want you lose this game...

also i could see a situation where a team might use the last two games to see what their rookie 3rd string qb can do against a team playing for a bye.  not purposely lose but not make winning the primary consideration.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:30:04 pm »

The idea is inconsequential. Picking 11th is just as much a crap shoot as picking 16th.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:49:10 pm »

Technically still in it, and even not being in it, I could never root for a team that purposefully tanked.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:25:59 pm »

LOL, we have this discussion every year here.  The only thing that changes is which week in the season we have it. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 01:57:44 pm »

LOL, we have this discussion every year here.  The only thing that changes is which week in the season we have it. 
I know. It came up on Crowder's show yesterday and is what mad me think of it.

I can think of two times that I wanted us to lose. One was the year we got rid of Wanny which is what I was rooting for. If I remember correctly I think that was the same year us TDMMC guys wore bags on our heads at a game? The second was the "suck for Luck" year. Other than that I have always felt you end up wherever you end up.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 02:07:14 pm »

The idea is inconsequential. Picking 11th is just as much a crap shoot as picking 16th.

This...

I will almost always cheer for my team to win, regardless of the situation, - BUT - if it is the last week of the season, and there is a clear-cut "generational-type talent" #1 draft pick to be had...and all we have to do is lose to get that guy?  Well...it's a big-picture thing at that point. Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »

In the last 5 years its been a 50/50 crap-shoot and that's giving James the benefit of the doubt since he is a starter. In reality only Minkah and Tunsil are playing like first rounders. Sadly our highest pick is our biggest bust.

2013   #3   Dion Jordan   Defensive end   Oregon   
2014   #19   Ja'Wuan James   Offensive tackle   Tennessee   
2015   #14   DeVante Parker   Wide receiver   University of Louisville   
2016     #13 Laremy Tunsil   Tackle   Mississippi   [t]
2017   #22   Charles Harris   Defensive end   Missouri   
2018    #11   Minkah Fitzpatrick   Safety   Alabama   

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:38:04 pm »

In the last 5 years its been a 50/50 crap-shoot and that's giving James the benefit of the doubt since he is a starter. In reality only Minkah and Tunsil are playing like first rounders. Sadly our highest pick is our biggest bust.

2013   #3   Dion Jordan   Defensive end   Oregon   
2014   #19   Ja'Wuan James   Offensive tackle   Tennessee   
2015   #14   DeVante Parker   Wide receiver   University of Louisville   
2016     #13 Laremy Tunsil   Tackle   Mississippi   [t]
2017   #22   Charles Harris   Defensive end   Missouri   
2018    #11   Minkah Fitzpatrick   Safety   Alabama   

BUT your 1st round pick SHOULDN'T be a crapshoot, unless it's for a QB.  The problem for the dolphins has been the person making the pick.  I was puzzled when they drafted Jordan in 2013, because DE wasn't one of their highest priorities that year (plus Jordan was coming off an injury, and couldn't report to camp on time due to school); same can be said for Parker in 2015, WR wasn't a high priority that year.  I think those two were dumb picks.  Harris was a good position player to draft, but he hasn't panned out.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 05:48:20 pm »

I wouldn't root for the Dolphins to lose, but I'd be alright with them playing some 2nd stringers to get some experience.  Moving up the draft order could be huge if they decide to draft a QB, as they would move ahead of Denver.  Above that possible teams taking a QB are Oakland #2, Jacksonville #5, and NYG #9.  If they win and drop to a later pick that would put them after Washington that needs a QB.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl
Seafort

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 04:31:04 pm »

I wished that they had tanked when they could have for Andrew Luck. Outside of a competent offensive line, you cannot have a successful NFL team without a upper level quarterback.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »

I wished that they had tanked when they could have for Andrew Luck. Outside of a competent offensive line, you cannot have a successful NFL team without a upper level quarterback.

We were 0-7 that year, I’ll never forgive Matt Moore or anybody involved in that team for finishing 6-3
Seafort

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 05:51:36 pm »

Indeed, what did it matter that we went 6-3 in the last nine games. We didn't make the playoffs and those wins have no bearing on this year or future years. Having Andrew Luck however might have.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »

last week this thread was slightly premature.  Looks like fins will be picking between 11 and 17 with a loss worth about 3 spots.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:20 pm »

BUT your 1st round pick SHOULDN'T be a crapshoot, unless it's for a QB.
Even for the best teams in the league, first-round picks are still a crapshoot.  Look how many of NE's first-rounders have flamed out.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray