Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:09:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tanking for a better draft pick
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Tanking for a better draft pick  (Read 4905 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 12:57:20 pm »

Even for the best teams in the league, first-round picks are still a crapshoot.  Look how many of NE's first-rounders have flamed out.

Yeah, but drafting in the late 20s or low 30s means there are less sure fire guys than in the low teens.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 03:33:49 pm »

Even in the top 10, the rate of players who eventually make a Pro Bowl seems to be about half.  Miami's been in the top 10 five times since Shula; they've gotten two players who've made the Pro Bowl (Brown, Long) and three who haven't (Ginn, Tannehill, Jordan).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:41:25 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »

off to a good start

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 01:32:33 pm »

The nice thing about being a horrible team is that you don't even have to intentionally tank. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 03:37:08 pm »

Even in the top 10, the rate of players who eventually make a Pro Bowl seems to be about half.  Miami's been in the top 10 five times since Shula; they've gotten two players who've made the Pro Bowl (Brown, Long) and three who haven't (Ginn, Tannehill, Jordan).

In Miami's defense, Ted Ginn wasn't even worth a first rounder, let alone Top 10.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »

In Miami's defense, Ted Ginn wasn't even worth a first rounder, let alone Top 10.
Ted Ginn is one of a handful of players from that draft that are still in the league.

He wasn't/isn't a terrible player, and he's not necessarily even a bust as a first-rounder.  It's the pressure of being drafted in the top 10 on a bad team when the fans were expecting a QB pick.  Even Julio Jones would have failed in that scenario.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 07:13:19 pm »

He wasn't/isn't a terrible player,

No, he isn’t a terrible player.  But he had no business being drafted in the first round.  He probably was on most teams third round board.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 07:31:12 pm »

Hard for me to judge how Ginn panned out without seeing his family's stats too.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 08:48:06 pm »

Looking at the other late first-round WRs taken that year - Dwayne Bowe (#23 to KC), Robert Meachem (#27 to NO), Craig Davis (#30 to SD), and Anthony Gonzalez (#32 to IND) - I think The Ginn Family would have been fine in any of those slots.  He's a good #2 or #3 receiver that has managed to stay healthy and (especially early in his career) gives you a weapon in the return game.

I put him on the same spectrum as someone like Devin Hester or Dante Hall: he's not as good of a returner, but he's also a much better receiver.

phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 10:35:18 pm »

I wouldn't root for the Dolphins to lose, but I'd be alright with them playing some 2nd stringers to get some experience.  Moving up the draft order could be huge if they decide to draft a QB, as they would move ahead of Denver.  Above that possible teams taking a QB are Oakland #2, Jacksonville #5, and NYG #9.  If they win and drop to a later pick that would put them after Washington that needs a QB.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl
After hearing losing today"aside from ensuring a house cleaning in the front office from top to bottom" with the right teams also losing could have moved us from 15th to tenth "didn't happen" in the draft I was ok with losing today. I was not happy we almost had a third game where a team scored 21 points in the first quarter"again FIRE gase"
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 11:31:59 am »

LOL, we have this discussion every year here.  The only thing that changes is which week in the season we have it. 

Most years it is not until after Thanksgiving.  This year it began before the combine.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray