Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:55:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Next Steps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Next Steps  (Read 1559 times)
Seafort

Email
« on: December 23, 2018, 04:29:44 pm »

Watching the team this year....this decade....it's clear that the biggest hindrance is the horrid offensive line play. Whereas five years ago I was frustrated with the Dolphins drafting offensive and defensive linemen over skill position players, at this point watching Tannehill and his replacements get sacked over and over and over again I've changed my view. It does not matter if Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss were at wide receiver, and if Barry Sanders were at running back. it does not matter if Prime Dan Marino or Tom Brady were at quarterback. If there is no offensive line, nothing can work.

So my suggestion is simply this.

In free agency make steps to improve the defense where it is economical. At wide receiver, see if you can resign DeVante Parker at a discount or make a move to get another wide receiver cheap. But don't overspend. Keep Tannehill for another season.

But in the draft, the time for half measures is over. The time for quarter measures is over. I don't want Miami to do a repeat of 1990 or 1995 and expend their first and second round picks on the offensive line. I want ALL picks to go to the offensive line. All seven (or eight depending on compensatory selections). No trade ups. No trade downs. Forget quarterbacks or anything else that falls into your lap. Every pick is dedicated NOW to the line.

Of course, not all seven will contribute. History has shown that we'll miss on selections. All teams do. But in using each pick on the line, we are greatly increasing the odds that we get at least one or two starters out of the 2019 draft. And using all of your picks to accrue seven new linemen will cost Miami less than signing another Albert Wilson.

Once that is done...if the team is in the same state or worse at the end of the 2019 season, nothing to fear. I'm okay with a 0-16 season if you have in turn set the team up for future success by locking down the most important position on the team apart from quarterback. You can then fairly evaluate the play of quarterback, wide receiver, and running back. Because right now these positions cannot be judged because the O-line play is so poor. Then the 2020 first round selection can go to one of these positions. And if it is a high pick, you target Tua.

Just my thoughts.
BeanCounter

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:58:52 pm »

I think the next step is to fire Tannenbaum immediately.  No need to wait until the end of season.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 05:07:57 pm »

I agree with BeanCounter.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 05:43:18 pm »

I honestly forget who does what in the front office, but injuries really did hurt us this year. Albert Wilson was being awesome before he got hurt and Howard was a beast at CB. So, seems like the past 2 years our drafting and free agent moves got a bit better. If Tannenbaum isn't GM, then whatever and fire him. If he is? No major complaints but I don't know what our cap situation is like.
Seafort

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 05:49:58 pm »

Not talking specifically about the front office or coaching. Talking instead on what needs to be done on a roster level.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 08:02:11 pm »

I would see if you can get anything at all for Tannehill, he isn’t the guy, it will be best for him to go somewhere else anyway. He’d be at worst a good backup and a best an improvement over some starters. Blow up the team and build around  Howard/Fitzpatrick/Tunsil/Drake if you can’t get a QB worth it this in the draft get the best O-Lineman or sack man available and either get a 1 year serviceable player or just start Ozzy next year with low expectations and try for one in the draft that year
Seafort

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 08:33:20 pm »

I agree...if the quarterback of the future is not easily obtainable don't mortgage your future (i.e. 3 first round picks) on a questionable player. Remember, whether it's the next Patrick Mahomes or Baker Mayfield this future quarterback has to play under the same horrible line conditions as Tannehill. I'd rather that the Dolphins fix this first and go quarterback in 2020. Hence my suggestion that they go ALL IN and use the entire draft on the offensive line in 2019. I mean, they can't likely flub all seven picks if they're used on the o-line, right?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:04:02 am »

We're saying that no QB could be successful with this horrid offensive line, but Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have had some pretty bad OLs in their time and they always looked better than whoever was behind center in MIA.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 08:29:07 am »

We're saying that no QB could be successful with this horrid offensive line, but Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have had some pretty bad OLs in their time and they always looked better than whoever was behind center in MIA.

I don’t think anyone is claiming that absolutely no qb who has ever played the game couldn’t due better than what Tannihill has done.

But i think it is fair to say that unless you have a generational great mobile qb Mia can’t win with such a horrible oline.  And also with a semi decent o line could be a successful qb.  The problem is the oline not the qb. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 05:11:34 pm »

Only draft a QB if he is a major talent. This class outside of Mayfield looks like shit but average prospects always get hyped up like crazy where there is no Andrew Luck in the draft.

All we do is draft O-Line players and trade for O-Line stars and it hasn't helped, so that means it's coaching. I wouldn't waste a big pick(unless it's a Guard)on another guy until we get an O-Line coach in place.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray