Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:47:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami Herald: Miami to Move on from Tannehill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Miami Herald: Miami to Move on from Tannehill  (Read 3196 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: December 26, 2018, 09:54:15 pm »

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are prepared to move on from Ryan Tannehill after this season rather than pay him the $19 million he's owed over the next two years.
None of Tannehill's 2019-2020 scheduled pay is guaranteed, so it will be an easy cord to cut. By releasing or trading Tannehill, the Fins would save $13.2 million under the 2019 salary cap, or $18.7 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. Amid reports the front office will also be cleaned out, the Dolphins' organization appears headed for a near-full overhaul this offseason.
Source: Miami Herald
Dec 26 - 8:41 PM

I think we have enough talent where we can have a rebuild in terms of coaching and front office, but no need for one on the field. We definitely need some improvements there too, but a smart offseason or drafting and free agency can put us in good shape.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:10:40 am »

another 4 years of mediocrity and then another rebuild .. it just never ends
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:47:54 am »

with who?  this isn’t a great draft for QBs and there isn’t much in FA. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Seafort

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 11:07:47 am »

If it's the current braintrust, I can see a $100M/4 year deal ($40M guaranteed) to Sam Bradford once he becomes available. Or something similar for Teddy Bridgewater. Or maybe trade first round picks in 2019 and 2020 for Jameis Winston.

Dolphins ownership has to ask themselves...presuming the offensive line does not significantly improve over the next two years, do the following quarterbacks make the Dolphins better than with Tannehill during that time:

Sam Bradford
Teddy Bridgewater
Nick Foles
Tyrod Taylor
Trevor Semien
Josh McNown
Jameis Winston (if released or traded)

Dwayne Haskins
Drew Lock
Daniel Jones
Will Grier
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:24:12 am »

I imagine they go with a complete stopgap for one year like Fitzpatrick and then reassess for 2020 if they don't find a QB in the 2019 draft.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:04:32 pm »

I'd do a trade for David Carr.  Sam Bradford is okay, but he is always hurt.  Teddy Bridgewater might be worth a look.  Nick Foles too.  Pass on Tyrod Talor, Trevor Semien, Josh McNown and everyone else mentioned.  BIG NO on Winston, I don't want a rapist on my team.

Eli Manning or Ryan Fitzpatrick would be interesting as a stop gap, but the Dolphins need to draft someone...hopefully next year.  I'd rather they spend this draft only taking guards, centers, d-linemen and linebackers.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:06:41 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 12:47:44 pm »

It just makes sense to move on from Tannehill.  He'll get a job somewhere else.  Of the FA QB's the only one I would want long term is Nick Foles, he has the ability to win games. Cheap short term solutions I'd prefer Fitzpatrick, Taylor, or possibly Bridgewater. Otherwise Brock Lobster.

I agree with Tenshot, just draft guards, centers, and D-lineman in the upcoming draft.  Hopefully, have a two win season in 2019, so the dolphins can pick the QB of their dreams in 2020.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »

I'm usually OK with letting guys go for making too much, but I think I'd keep Tanny.  There is just such a shortage at the QB position and the dropoff in quality is pretty big.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »

If it's the current braintrust, I can see a $100M/4 year deal ($40M guaranteed) to Sam Bradford once he becomes available. Or something similar for Teddy Bridgewater. Or maybe trade first round picks in 2019 and 2020 for Jameis Winston.

Dolphins ownership has to ask themselves...presuming the offensive line does not significantly improve over the next two years, do the following quarterbacks make the Dolphins better than with Tannehill during that time:

Sam Bradford
Teddy Bridgewater
Nick Foles
Tyrod Taylor
Trevor Semien
Josh McNown
Jameis Winston (if released or traded)

Dwayne Haskins
Drew Lock
Daniel Jones
Will Grier

So pay almost twice as much for a comparable QB.  At best some of those guys are slightly better, many not quite as good.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 04:52:03 pm »

I don't think they let Tanny go.  If they do then they will pay more for someone else unless they are going to Brock do it. Tanny will end up making more money as well as teams like Jacksonville will scoop him up. I don't think the front office is going to just drop him with cap friendly salary until they get something better regardless how much fans and a few reporters whine.  A better plan is to draft someone and wait for them to beat him out.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 08:11:23 pm »

I'm usually OK with letting guys go for making too much, but I think I'd keep Tanny.  There is just such a shortage at the QB position and the dropoff in quality is pretty big.

True, Mark Sanchez is still kicking around. Like Head Coaches, its the same 50 guys over and over again. I'm fine with keeping Tanny but I don't see him still the QB past 2020.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 11:52:34 pm »

THANK GOD
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 09:20:15 am »

Rumors Detroit might trade Stafford, although this is a bit of a stretch.  A lot of dead cap money if they trade him:

https://twitter.com/dolphinstalk/status/1078343408756891648?s=21

(Where I got the story, and what fellow Dolphin fans think)
https://www.reddit.com/r/miamidolphins/comments/aa1fkt/stafford_to_miami_in_2019/

I would be all about this, although the cost might be too high, draft and cap wise.  Stafford is really good.  I know a lot of his stats are padded throwing to Calvin Johnson, but even after he retired, Stafford threw for 4000+ yards in 2016 and 2017.  2018 has been a down year for him, and it's still better than what Tannehill puts up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:29:09 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 10:09:18 am »

I'd do a trade for David Carr.

I thought he was still retired...nice scoop there, boss! Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 10:11:45 am »

I thought he was still retired...nice scoop there, boss! Wink

Whoops!  Derek Carr.  Next I'll be asking for that RB from Carolina, Ed McCaffrey  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray