Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:49:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Down goes Gase
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Down goes Gase  (Read 2885 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« on: December 31, 2018, 09:57:35 am »

As reported by NFL network Adam Gase has just been fired.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:07:14 am »

I was in a chat yesterday saying we should give him one more year, but wouldn't be surprised or upset if they fired him.

So are we luring Harbaugh our way?
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:07:20 am »

It will take him about 5 minutes to get a new head coaching job in the NFL and he will probably be successful.   This team will still suck regardless.  Gase probably had to go, but he certainly wasn't the sole (or even the main) reason that the team is horrible.  The owner is not a football person and hasn't shown any interest in becoming a football person, most of the front office group is bad, most of the coaches are bad, and most of the players are bad.  So where does everyone think Gase will go?  I would think that Denver would be the logical place.  
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:13:22 am »

This team will still suck regardless.  Gase probably had to go, but he certainly wasn't the sole (or even the main) reason that the team is horrible.  The owner is not a football person and hasn't shown any interest in becoming a football person, most of the front office group is bad,   

Exactly.  What will happen is we'll probably go after somebody with zero experience or who has a reputation but never won anything and three years from now we'll be right back where we are.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:15 am »

I think this was a bad move.  This was a 7-9 team before the year.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:00:33 am »

But Dave therein lies the problem.  Nobody will ever know because nobody tried to fix anything.  This team hasn't had a guard or a center that could block since when?  This defensive line was living off its reputation for how long?  Sure sign some free agents but then don't back them up with anything.  Keep going after coaches and staff who are going to leave every two years. 

This should still be a flagship franchise and a coveted job in the NFL and yet it's been completely chewed up, crapped out and flushed down the toilet.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:36:07 am »

it doesn't help when the guard and center you sign in free agency both get hurt and you're back at backups for most of the year
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 11:52:17 am »

Word on the street that several prominent Dolphins players privately voiced their displeasure with Gase, including Stills, Wake and Gore.

Also didn't help with the Instagram that Drake potsed last nite....."Thank you, next"

He's demeanor and speak was very combative at times, especially after a loss and his social skills I can't believe would be any better in private conversation.  I think he has a touch of Asperger's Syndrome as well.  Very poor eye-contact, doesn't know how to respond to questions, etc.

I can't believe that a coach like this could function at a high level with regards to overseeing the WHOLE program.  Maybe an OC or QB coach, because that's more 1-on-1 and he could control the situation.

Look, I was fine with Gase staying another year, but stripping him of Off play-calling AND control over final say of the 53-man roster.  Ross just quoted in his interview that that wasn't a tipping point in him firing Gase.  I think he's lying, but oh well.

Grier as the GM and control is fine with me, he's been around for a long time, been with several great coaches and well respected in the NFL circles with regards to personnel.

Seems as though players didn't like Gase, especially when they lost. Word was that he held some players to different standards and of course his boy, Tannehill.  

Tannehill got 2 coaches fired now.  We'll see where he stands this spring, especially after the NFL Draft and the June 1st deadline.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:59:04 am by hordman » Logged

I'd rather be lucky than good.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:34 pm »

it doesn't help when the guard and center you sign in free agency both get hurt and you're back at backups for most of the year

Tex that's just it... they've had problems at both positions going back to Joe Philbin... how many centers did we draft during that time?  How many guards?

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 12:34:27 pm »

Gase's results were such a mixed bag. Compared to Philbin, I will say that we seemed to win more close games and didn't give up late in the game. However, in every other game we TOTALLY gave up and got blown out by garbage teams. Look what non-playoff teams Green Bay and Buffalo just did to us.

Total bi-polar production and I can see why Drake is pissed. He has held up his end and credit to Gore for being good too, but this was supposed to be Kenyan's year and we just set him aside for the oldest RB in the league.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 09:03:52 pm »

The only support from a player I have seen was from Albert Wilson. Seems odd to me but whatever. Said on the radio this evening that Gase has been contacted by 5 teams already.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 09:14:55 pm »

We will get a much better idea as to whether Gase was the problem or not next year when he is coaching a new team. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 01:39:18 am »

What will happen is we'll probably go after somebody with zero experience or who has a reputation but never won anything
This describes the overwhelming majority of head coach hires in the league.  (The few exceptions are the Jimmy Johnson/Joe Gibbs/Jon Gruden returns, which haven't exactly been successful either.)

Bill Belichick in CLE?  Zero experience.
Bill Belichick in NE?  Reputation, but never won anything when he was HC in CLE.
Sean Payton?  Zero experience.
John Harbaugh? Zero experience.
Mike Tomlin?  Zero experience.
Pete Carroll in SEA? Reputation, but never won anything when he was HC in NYJ or NE.
Doug Pederson? Zero experience.
etc.

Head coaches with proven experience as a winner are either a) already employed or b) retired.  So unless you want to chase a retiree (Cowher?), you have to hire a head coach with zero experience or a track record of falling short.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 05:32:15 am »

Gase's results were such a mixed bag. Compared to Philbin, I will say that we seemed to win more close games and didn't give up late in the game. However, in every other game we TOTALLY gave up and got blown out by garbage teams. Look what non-playoff teams Green Bay and Buffalo just did to us.

Besides the blow-out games where the players seemed to quit (which ultimately falls on Gase), there were also some key statistics that indicated that coaching might have been a problem: The Dolphins were at the bottom of the league in both "scripted play" performance (X plays at start of game) and offensive performance differential between first and second half (worse in second).

Poor scripted play performance would seem to indicate that the coaching staff is bad at scouting upcoming opponents, putting a gameplan together, and then getting players to execute it.

Poor performance after halftime would seem to indicate that the coaching staff cannot adjust to what the defense is showing -- or at least that they are getting "out-adjusted" by opposing defenses.

All of these issues ultimately point to directly at possible issues with the coaching staff and after 3 years, Gase has certainly had a chance to put together a team around him that can complement his skill set.

I would have expected Gase to get another year and would have been fine with that, but it's not like there haven't been any red flags.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 12:26:30 am »

A bit like the Philbin sacking, I really don't feel much about Gase's departure.

I thought he may have got an additional year to see out his contract, but with rumors flying around about us again trying to woo a Harbaugh I can see why Ross may have decided to clear the air now rather than repeating the dead man walking scenario he created with Sparano's last year.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray