Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:41:28 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  New coach discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: New coach discussion thread  (Read 15899 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 09:51:41 am »

Scott Zolak was raving about him to Joe Rose last week. Said he is highly respected by both players and management of the Patriots.

i respect him and think he talented. i think he lacks experience.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 10:03:46 am »

i respect him and think he talented. i think he lacks experience.
i don’t think head coach needs to be experienced in everything and that’s why someone like a special teams coordinator can be successful.  He needs to be able to manage people and bring in quality coordinators. I see very capable construction workers fail as owners or supervisors because they don’t relate to people very well and I see some lazy people who turn out to be great owners and supervisors as that are more relatable and have more of a mangement mentality. They see the bigger picture and don’t over analyze themselves to death.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 10:17:06 am »

The specific lack of experience that I refer to is only serving under one head coach.  Not offense vs defense vs special teams or number of years.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 12:51:23 pm »

You have to admit if you’re only going to serve under one coach that BB is a pretty good choice to do it under.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 01:28:00 pm »

Except for the fact Miami is in the state it's in because (partly) of decisions made by Johnson and Saban and still hasn't recovered...

But let's just pretend everything was great under both and we haven't been a laughing stock since the 70's.

The almighty Jimmy Johnson.  Every team in the AFC East won the AFC East during his time here except Miami.  And Dan Marino was under center.

Don't even get me started on Saban.  

Just because someone is a "name" doesn't make them worthy of a job.
No, a name doesn't make them worthy of a job. However, being accomplished head coaches does. The fact that they both quit on the team has no bearing on that fact. I'd take an accomplished head coach over a assistant helper 10 times out of 10. At the end of the day, even though we have the 3rd or 4th richest owner in the league, he is the main one making these stupid decisions.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2019, 01:55:13 pm »

No, a name doesn't make them worthy of a job. However, being accomplished head coaches does. The fact that they both quit on the team has no bearing on that fact. I'd take an accomplished head coach over a assistant helper 10 times out of 10. At the end of the day, even though we have the 3rd or 4th richest owner in the league, he is the main one making these stupid decisions.

Jimmy Johnson was a name who regressed this franchise.  So was Saban.  For that matter, so was Parcells.

I understand what you're saying.  But in this league you also get a name sometimes for doing things in a time when things were done differently (Johnson, Gruden) and ride a reputation you no longer deserve. 

The "you need experience to work here" thing is hard.  How do you know until someone gives them a shot?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 03:07:28 pm »

Jimmy Johnson was a name who regressed this franchise.  So was Saban.  For that matter, so was Parcells.

I understand what you're saying.  But in this league you also get a name sometimes for doing things in a time when things were done differently (Johnson, Gruden) and ride a reputation you no longer deserve. 

The "you need experience to work here" thing is hard.  How do you know until someone gives them a shot?
We gave them a shot. Cameron, Sparano, Philbin, and Gase, LMAO....

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2019, 06:36:47 pm »

i don’t think head coach needs to be experienced in everything and that’s why someone like a special teams coordinator can be successful.  He needs to be able to manage people and bring in quality coordinators. I see very capable construction workers fail as owners or supervisors because they don’t relate to people very well and I see some lazy people who turn out to be great owners and supervisors as that are more relatable and have more of a mangement mentality. They see the bigger picture and don’t over analyze themselves to death.

Without trying to sound like I'm flogging a dead horse, again I think where the LA Rams scenario has worked is that while they got in an inexperienced head coach they backed him up with a vastly experienced and successful assistant (Wade Phillips). That's taking nothing away from McVay, by all reports he is incredibly attentive and smart in regard to every position on the team, but I think it can't be just a coincidence Phillips just happens to be defensive coordinatior either.

If the rumors that Flores is hiring Jim Cladwell as DC are true it seems they are aiming at a similar path, as he could potentially serve as a good mentor when needed without being any kind of real threat to the HC.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2019, 06:46:48 pm »

All things considered this coaching staff could be a bridge to the next anyway. The goal is to bring in talent right now. If they bring in talent and still aren't producing they will bring in an experienced coach to lead them. I'd say to look at Cleveland but they didn't actually get an experienced coach ... but they didn't keep Hue to drain the talent.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »

+1

There have been outstanding OC's & DC's that were utter failures as HC's.  Being a head coach is about managing players, other coaches; and providing an overall direction and mentality for the team to follow.  It's only certain game situations where the HC should be called upon to make decisions.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »

Being a head coach is about managing players, other coaches; and providing an overall direction and mentality for the team to follow.  It's only certain game situations where the HC should be called upon to make decisions.
Uh huh. Not what most people on here said about Gase in the last year. He was basically blamed for any Dolphins shortcomings regardless of what it was. Draft. Free Agency. Contracts. Roster decisions. Depth Chart. Offensive gameplan. Offensive production. Defensive gameplan. Defensive production. Play calling. Pre game comments. Post game comments. Pretty much anything and everything to do with the Dolphins that wasn't directly tied to the GM or Owner. If Gase possibly had an influence on it, he was responsible for it, end of story.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »

Oh great, the next graduate of the fabulous Bill Belichick coaching tree.

I would have preferred Eric Bieniemy.  Andy Reid's coaches at least have some track record of competence; Belichick's disciples are consistently the worst.  The only skills he teaches them are how to be an asshole to the media, and how to treat the players like flushable baby wipes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:45:45 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2019, 06:09:53 am »

Oh great, the next graduate of the fabulous Bill Belichick coaching tree.

I would have preferred Eric Bieniemy.  Andy Reid's coaches at least have some track record of competence; Belichick's disciples are consistently the worst.  The only skills he teaches them are how to be an asshole to the media, and how to treat the players like flushable baby wipes.
The more I hear from Dolphins people ... the more I'm convinced this coach is just a stop gap or bridge coach who has a couple of years to prove themselves. Coaches like Harbough and Bruce Arians are never going to commit to a rebuilding process so the Dolphins needed an a young up and comer. The only thing the Dolphins need to hit on right now is the front office, player moves, and draft picks. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:50 am »

The more I hear from Dolphins people ... the more I'm convinced this coach is just a stop gap or bridge coach who has a couple of years to prove themselves. Coaches like Harbough and Bruce Arians are never going to commit to a rebuilding process so the Dolphins needed an a young up and comer. The only thing the Dolphins need to hit on right now is the front office, player moves, and draft picks.  
The only problem with this type of logic is that once they fire the head coach the new coach wants to come and replace everyone on the roster with "their guys" which renders completely moot all previous player moves and draft picks. You can't keep "starting over" every couple of years or that's all you are doing is starting over. You HAVE to find someone that you plan to stick with for years to come to get some stability. Until you find that guy you are wasting your time. I'm not saying that firing Gase was the wrong decision, I'm just saying that picking a young guy to hold down the fort till the next guy gets there is not gonna work either.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2019, 11:27:36 am »

The only problem with this type of logic is that once they fire the head coach the new coach wants to come and replace everyone on the roster with "their guys" which renders completely moot all previous player moves and draft picks. You can't keep "starting over" every couple of years or that's all you are doing is starting over. You HAVE to find someone that you plan to stick with for years to come to get some stability. Until you find that guy you are wasting your time. I'm not saying that firing Gase was the wrong decision, I'm just saying that picking a young guy to hold down the fort till the next guy gets there is not gonna work either.
I disagree. No one was looking at Cleveland and thinking ... if I get the job I'm going to jettison everyone and reboot. Besides ... like when you look for offensives coordinators on an existing successful team ... you find someone who is already in the mold of what you have been doing. That's how we would look for a coach if we had some promising players. 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray