Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:03:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Per ESPN: Tank for Tua In Effect
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Per ESPN: Tank for Tua In Effect  (Read 7115 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: January 13, 2019, 01:10:45 pm »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25749961/miami-dolphins-considering-rebuild-eye-heralded-qbs-2020-draft-class

Looks like we are finally going to do it and just tank in 2019 with the hopes of getting a Top 5 pick. Depending on how things fall and trades are made, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything but a Top 2 pick but at least we are acknowledging that we are trash and need to start from scratch.

Trade Howard for whatever we can get for him, he misses any more games with knee problems and his value plummets. Use every goddamn pick on line help, both of them. I will gleefully watch them go 1-15 again if it means no more mediocrity that goes nowhere.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:55:29 pm »

I'm very glad you aren't our GM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:52:15 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:10:49 pm »

Tank for Tua doesn’t have quite the same ring as suck for luck

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 04:08:34 pm »

So Shefter, with his usual flair for writing fiction gives zero quotes from the Dolphins that say anything at all about tanking and he tells us that tanking is what the Dolphins are "thinking".   So in addition to being a top notch fiction writer, he is also a mind reader who can tell what the Dolphins are thinking.  #fakenews
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:24:42 pm »

I don't understand why people are so anxious to trade away good players.  The Rams went from absolute garbage - one of the worst teams in the league - to a solid team in one year by adding a new coach, and had the best record in the league one year later.  The Chiefs were similarly putrid, hired Andy Reid & traded for Alex Smith, and started the following season 9-0 on the way to a division title.

If your goal is a multi-year rebuilding process, please name the last team that traded away their best players to intentionally get worse/stockpile picks, and actually parlayed that into future success under the same coach.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:53:17 pm »

I don't understand why people are so anxious to trade away good players.  The Rams went from absolute garbage - one of the worst teams in the league - to a solid team in one year by adding a new coach, and had the best record in the league one year later.  The Chiefs were similarly putrid, hired Andy Reid & traded for Alex Smith, and started the following season 9-0 on the way to a division title.

If your goal is a multi-year rebuilding process, please name the last team that traded away their best players to intentionally get worse/stockpile picks, and actually parlayed that into future success under the same coach.

If you are looking for one year rebound examples, I vaguely recall that there was one team that went 1-15 and then the next year won their division. I think that was the 10 win improvement is the league record for best single season improvement.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:17 pm »

Yes, but it's not like Miami traded away Jason Taylor and Ronnie Brown in 2006 to intentionally get worse for 2007.  That is the strategy people are advocating today.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:20:49 am »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25749961/miami-dolphins-considering-rebuild-eye-heralded-qbs-2020-draft-class

Looks like we are finally going to do it and just tank in 2019 with the hopes of getting a Top 5 pick. Depending on how things fall and trades are made, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything but a Top 2 pick but at least we are acknowledging that we are trash and need to start from scratch.

Trade Howard for whatever we can get for him, he misses any more games with knee problems and his value plummets. Use every goddamn pick on line help, both of them. I will gleefully watch them go 1-15 again if it means no more mediocrity that goes nowhere.
hahaha ... now you're getting it. I've been saying that since Gase was let go. Originally when the powers that be (and they include Marino and Nat Moore) convinced Ross that this was the way to go ... Gase was going to be involved. Unfortunately Gase didn't want to be part of a rebuild and was let go.  Otherwise ... he'd still be here. The win now mode is no more. They are building a team for the future ... although they can't really say that publicly.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 11:09:49 am »

hahaha ... now you're getting it. I've been saying that since Gase was let go. Originally when the powers that be (and they include Marino and Nat Moore) convinced Ross that this was the way to go ... Gase was going to be involved. Unfortunately Gase didn't want to be part of a rebuild and was let go.  Otherwise ... he'd still be here. The win now mode is no more. They are building a team for the future ... although they can't really say that publicly.

Yes, the issue is we are "too good" to get the #1 overall pick without trading away some talent for picks. Even if we started Fales and kept the current roster, we are probably looking at 5 wins or so. I would trade Howard for a 2020 1st Rounder, that way if we somehow still only pick 6th, we can trade up for a QB.

Whatever cuts we make should have the blunt of cap hits and dead money for 2019, let 2020 be clear so we can hopefully be smart in free agency. Been saying this for decades now, no more 7-9 shit. 7-9 just means the same thing next year, only 2-14 gets you dramatic swings.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28:40 am »

I think there is a subtle but important distinction between tanking and building for the future in mind.  In the former you are purposely sabotaging your own team, in the latter you are focused on the future without concern for the impact on the present.  The latter is okay, the former is not. 

And if you are going to cut/trade players to improve cap space, it should be pre-June 1.  Do more damage to the current cap situation to improve next years...adding dead money to 2020 is not building for the future.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 12:50:01 pm »

I don’t really think they are tanking per se but the moves they will be making won’t make us contenders anytime soon. As so ... we probably will lose some good players but only to make our roster better overall down the road. We paid Jones a lot of money and will be expected to do the same with Howard. We can probably pick up some good picks and save ourselves some money in the process

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 04:59:25 pm »

Jimmy Johnson - Dallas Cowboys '89

Maybe Miami should be looking at Dabo Swinney as head coach? What, he already has a job? Well when Jimmy did it in Dallas, I remember that Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, kicked the coach to the curb and brought in Jimmy who I believe still had a job with Miami Hurricanes at the time. Who can buy the Dolphins that's friends with Dabo? Smiley

Course we will need someone to play the part of the Vikings and give us a boat load of players/picks for our best player. Who would that be? Can't think of anyone that's gonna give us a boat load of players for anyone on the Dolphins.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:23:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 07:43:28 pm »

I think Tua's going to be a BUST in the NFL.  There, I said it!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:16 pm »

Jimmy Johnson - Dallas Cowboys '89
Then Miami should try hiring Jimmy Johnson, and let him perform his magic.  That's certain to work!

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 12:28:57 pm »

Then Miami should try hiring Jimmy Johnson, and let him perform his magic.  That's certain to work!

Absolutely not... He's one of the main reasons this franchise has been in a 20+ year decline.   DISLIKE BUTTON X1000000000000000000000

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray