Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Car Monitoring for Auto Insurance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Car Monitoring for Auto Insurance  (Read 6774 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:45:34 pm »

I recently switched to All-State for insurance, because I got a better rate.

As part of that, there is additional incentive for plugging this thing into your car that takes data and sends it to the insurance company.  Speed, amount of driving, "extreme braking events', etc.

It lowers your rate by 10% just by installing it, and can lower it as much as 30% depending on what it finds.  As I understand it, 30% is damn near impossible unless you're a grandma who doesn't drive.

Does anyone do this?  What is your experience?

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:21:25 pm »

I wouldn't do that at all.  Insurance companies look for any and every reason to increase your rates.  The less they know about me the better.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:28 pm »

Only an idiot would have one of those things installed.  Once they have your information they can share it with other insurers.  Imagine you are going 5 mph over the speed limit and someone hits you, next thing you know they are denying your claim and canceling your policy because you are a reckless driver.  Then other companies won't insure you either.  You end up in an assigned risk pool paying triple what you should be paying.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:34:39 pm »

I don't drive "recklessly", but yeah, installing one of those would be a bad move on my part. 
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:00:47 pm »

you don't keep it installed, you have it for about 3 weeks and then you ship it back to them
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:07:04 pm »

Does it have a voice recorder with it that catches you when you are screaming obscenities at other drivers? 
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:19:48 pm »

Does it have a voice recorder with it that catches you when you are screaming obscenities at other drivers? 

Or a camera that can catch you throwing pennies at other drivers for driving like idiots?

Brians Stalker

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 11:48:41 am »

I did this several years ago since I am normally a pretty safe driver.  I've never had a ticket, or accident, and in the couple of weeks that I had the thing plugged into my car, the insurance company determined that I was an Indy race car driver with a passion for tight curves and quick stops. I definitely wouldn't do this again.  I actually drove more cautiously than normal while I had it, and it didn't work out in my favor!  I also drive 30 miles in the country with no stop signs each day, and only about a mile of city driving, so if you live in a city, for sure don't do it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:21 pm »

But based on what Dave said, you get a 10% discount right off the top for installing it.  So even if you drive like Andretti, you're still paying less... and if they determine that you don't drive aggressively (if that's even possible), you could have an even bigger discount.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »

^ That's my understanding.

I'm not sure what's in it for them, except that it gives them better data on who to discount, rather than the general age/gender/income/education/car color, etc.

It also isn't just how you drive, but when you drive and how much.

Best times are weekend days, followed by weekday nights, then weekday days, then weekend nights are the riskiest.

I have read reviews and it's all been pretty positive....just they're paying for data, I guess.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 01:54:06 pm »

I really think it's a bad idea Dave, I think you should reconsider.  I can't state enough that Insurance companies are evil and the less they know about you the better.  They will use any and everything to their advantage to fuck you on a claim and to raise your rates.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »

You want to know who the bad drivers are there's an easier way to do it. You hand out dart guns and 3 suction darts that can be tracked by satellite to everyone with a valid drivers license. Whenever someone sees another person driving poorly they shoot their car with one of the darts. Anyone getting more than 3 darts in a 2 day window is a poor driver.  Evil

I can't take credit for this idea, it was Gallaghers. He suggested that police just drive around and write a ticket to anyone with more than 3 darts. Sounded like a great plan to me.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 02:25:54 pm »

You want to know who the bad drivers are there's an easier way to do it. You hand out dart guns and 3 suction darts that can be tracked by satellite to everyone with a valid drivers license. Whenever someone sees another person driving poorly they shoot their car with one of the darts. Anyone getting more than 3 darts in a 2 day window is a poor driver.  Evil

I can't take credit for this idea, it was Gallaghers. He suggested that police just drive around and write a ticket to anyone with more than 3 darts. Sounded like a great plan to me.

it actually is that hard, best way how to predict what drivers are going to get into an accident in the future is they are the ones who got into an accident in the past.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 03:50:34 pm »

You want to know who the bad drivers are there's an easier way to do it. You hand out dart guns and 3 suction darts that can be tracked by satellite to everyone with a valid drivers license. Whenever someone sees another person driving poorly they shoot their car with one of the darts. Anyone getting more than 3 darts in a 2 day window is a poor driver.  Evil

I got about a sentence into that and thought "I sure hope he gives Gallagher credit on this one..." Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 01:39:51 pm »

Allstate does not guarantee a 10 percent  discount. It is up to 10 percent. I'll give you one guess how many people get the full discount. No way I would ever install one of those things.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray