Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:47:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphster's Stupidly Early Mock Draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphster's Stupidly Early Mock Draft  (Read 2330 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:58 pm »

An admitted draft nerd can never get started too early.  Below is my Fins mock draft with the following assumptions.  Picks are being obviously made before any Free Agent acquisitions and assuming that the Dolphins are going to bypass the weak QB draft in 2019 and await the much better 2020 QB pool since they are probably going to have a terrible 2019 record and will have a top 7 or 8 first round pick.

Round 1:   Jeffery Simmons, DT, Miss. State
Round 2:   Elgton Jenkins, C, Miss. State (that's right, back to back MS State guys)
Round 3:   Michael Deiter, G, Wisconsin
Round 4:   Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State
Round 5:   Will Harris, S, Boston College
Round 6:   Carl Granderson, DE, Wyoming
Round 7:   Sheldrick Redwine, CB, The U

As we get closer to April, these will obviously change and there may not be a single one of them on my final mock draft.  But I was bored this afternoon. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 07:29:54 am »

Logically, that's pretty sound.  From Walterfootball's mock draft.  

Miami Dolphins: Kyler Murray, QB/WR, Oklahoma
NFL teams all soured on Russell Wilson leading up to the 2012 NFL Draft despite the fact that Wilson had more experience and was more accomplished than Kyler Murray over a longer span. While Wilson didn't win the Heisman, he probably would have if he played in the Big XII. Instead, Wilson thrived in two conferences where teams actually play some sort of defense. Despite this, Wilson fell to the third round. Now, just because Wilson has been an exception rather than the rule, Murray is somehow expected to be chosen in the opening round even though he's two inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Wilson!

None of this makes any sense, especially when factoring in Murray's lack of starting experience, his extremely easy schedule this past season against all of the woeful Big XII defenses, his struggles against Alabama prior to garbage time, and the fact that teams may not be convinced that he's going to dedicate himself to football with baseball being a possibility. All of these things are strikes against Murray, which was relayed to me by an NFC personnel man I spoke to on Friday afternoon. I asked him about Murray, and while he expressed concern about his size, it was his dedication to football that was the major concern.

"Murray should probably go on Day 2, but will probably go in the first round because he's a hot name," the personnel man said. "We assumed he was going into baseball because of Scott Boras, so no one wrote up any reports on him."

Adam Schefter reported that general managers told him that Murray will be a first-round pick. This obviously came from general managers who didn't want Murray; otherwise, they wouldn't have said anything. Quite often, NFL teams don't know what others are going to do. I spoke to an assistant general manager days before the 2017 NFL Draft and asked him what he thought the 49ers would do at No. 2 overall. He said he thought they would take Patrick Mahomes. Last year, Charlie Campbell spoke to a general manager who thought the Giants would go with Sam Darnold with the second pick. Both of these people we spoke to are great talent evaluators, but they simply didn't know what other teams would do. Thus, the general managers Schefter spoke to were just guessing, like the NFC personnel man I spoke to. The possibility of Murray declaring has shocked the league, to say the least.

That said, the general managers Schefter spoke to were doing something else as well. They were building hype for Murray. We've already established that those general managers don't want Murray, so they're trying to raise his value so that some team in front of them takes Murray, causing a better player to fall to them. I coined the phrase, "bad teams make dumb picks" a long time ago, and this is a case where the good teams are trying to bait a bad team to make yet another dumb pick.

I then thought about it. Who could take Murray in the first round? Well, there's no dumber owner of a bad team in the NFL than Stephen Ross. I'm sure he's smart in real life, but when it comes to managing his football team, Ross has made countless blunders. Ross also loves hype. He constantly invites celebrities no one cares about to games to try to draw a crowd. This would be another instance of Ross trying to draw attention to the Dolphins. He may demand for his next regime to draft Murray because he thinks a 5-foot-9, 190-pound quarterback, who thrived in a conference where zero defense is played, won't get half of his passes batted at the line of scrimmage somehow.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#ixzz5eBhA2aTC

Walter's a bit of a dick lol.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:33:19 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:45 am »

I really do not see us drafting a QB in the first round this year based on their plan to rebuild the team. They will be addressing both lines and lbers. We need a nose guard and much bigger lbers to play their defense and everyone knows we need guards. Whoever we draft in 2020 at QB will have a much more solid team to join.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:42:09 am »

^What is their plan to rebuild the team?  Has there been a blueprint I haven't been privy to?  Sounds like you're hoping they wait until 2020.

Other than if we drafted a RB or something stupid we don't need at all, I'm ride or dying with the staff.  If it's a DT, great.  If it's Murray, cool, he's risky but someone you can get excited over too.  Maybe its Drew Lock...we'll see.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:24:29 am »

^What is their plan to rebuild the team?  Has there been a blueprint I haven't been privy to?  Sounds like you're hoping they wait until 2020.

Other than if we drafted a RB or something stupid we don't need at all, I'm ride or dying with the staff.  If it's a DT, great.  If it's Murray, cool, he's risky but someone you can get excited over too.  Maybe its Drew Lock...we'll see.

"The word" is that Ross and company want to rebuild but Gase didn't want to be a part of that so they fired him/agreed to part ways. If that is true, and it likely is, then we are in rebuild mode. Not quite tanking on purpose, but probably eating dead cap money in 2019 rather than splitting it between 2 years and playing young kids in hopes of a solid 2020 draft and free agency.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:50:44 am »

"The word" is that Ross and company want to rebuild but Gase didn't want to be a part of that so they fired him/agreed to part ways. If that is true, and it likely is, then we are in rebuild mode. Not quite tanking on purpose, but probably eating dead cap money in 2019 rather than splitting it between 2 years and playing young kids in hopes of a solid 2020 draft and free agency.

Yeah, I've heard that too, but there are a ton of different ways to rebuild a team, sometimes that includes sucking for a year or two, sometimes it doesn't.  2020 is the year of the QB, unless there is someone they like in 2019.  Maybe it's the way CF was posting that made me question it, as it's like you know what they are going to do.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:05:39 pm »

I saw a Mock Draft from Draft Wire the other day and they had Miami taking a DL, DE, LB, & WR with their first four picks, then QB Jarrett Stidham from Auburn with their 5th.  The first three picks would make Pappy happy; but why a WR if they don't have a QB (not to mention WR isn't that great an area of need)?  Why waste a 5th rounder on a QB?  No O-lineman drafted in the top 5 picks?  I really wonder whether some of these Mock Drafters have any clue.

BTW they had QB's going as follow: Haskins (Ohio) to the Giants at #6, Murray (Okla) to the Jags at #7, and Lock (Missouri) to the Broncos at #10.  Those are the three main teams that Miami has to compete with to draft a QB this year.  Them and the Redskins, but they may take Tannehill from us.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 04:32:20 pm »

^^^ As Trades take place the draft selection is changing around. Regarding QB's a couple recent drafts I have seen have Arizona taking Murray with the #1 pick, the Jags not drafting a QB but adding Nick Foles, Denver not taking a QB since trading for Joe Flacco, the Giants still taking Haskings.....and the Dolphins drafting Lock at the 13th spot.  I'd be alright with the Dolphins taking Lock @ 13, but would hate to see them trade up and give away additional high picks to draft him.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:23 pm »

I can't help but wonder if the whole Arizona/Kyler Murray thing is a smoke screen put out by the Cardinals or possibly a way of trying to get a team that REALLY wants Murray to trade for the Cards #1 pick.   I know Josh Rosen didn't look very good last year but few rookie QBs do great and he was stuck with an atrocious offensive line and a horrible Offensive Coordinator.  Seems weird to give up on him so soon unless he had terrible practice habits, etc. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 03:13:02 pm »

I can't help but wonder if the whole Arizona/Kyler Murray thing is a smoke screen put out by the Cardinals or possibly a way of trying to get a team that REALLY wants Murray to trade for the Cards #1 pick.   I know Josh Rosen didn't look very good last year but few rookie QBs do great and he was stuck with an atrocious offensive line and a horrible Offensive Coordinator.  Seems weird to give up on him so soon unless he had terrible practice habits, etc. 
On the other hand there are people that think that Kyler Murray is essentially the PERFECT QB to run their offense, so I can see it happening. I'm skeptical as you are, but if I'm Miami I'm sure calling up Arizona and seeing if Josh Rosen can be had for a draft pick or 2. You'll know if it's a smoke screen if they start talking about a trade FOR the #1 pick.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray