Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Armando - These are some ways the Miami Dolphins plan to tank in 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Armando - These are some ways the Miami Dolphins plan to tank in 2019  (Read 6021 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 03:05:36 pm »

If we wanted to win 8 games we'd stick with Tannehill. I don't think there's any way we bring in a short term QB who will screw up our draft picks and not make us any better so Fitzpatrick and Bridgewater are pretty much off the table. It's more likely we would bring in someone like Paxton Lynch.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 03:07:39 pm »

Problem with this is what if you go 2-14 year 1 and 3-13 year 2? You sticking with him in year 3? That's an EXTREMELY tough sell to your fans who just watched the team go 5-27 in 2 years. You'd have to see SIGNIFICANT improvement in year 2 to keep him or your are looking for another new head coach. And remember it's in year 2 when you are expecting to have your brand spanking new ROOKIE QB starting for you. Good luck with that.

Fans can’t fire the coach, only Ross.  And yeah, if the rookie qb has the same w-l his rookie year as peyton manning had his rookie year, you give the coach another year.  You would want to see improvement so yeah a season that started 0-9 and ended 3-13 would be view differently than one that startrf 2-0 and ended 3-13.

Typically, owners are too impatient to take a long term approach and force the coach to be in a win now mode.  Sounds like Ross wants a long term approach, but Gase wouldn’t pivot to that.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 03:14:26 pm »

If we wanted to win 8 games we'd stick with Tannehill. I don't think there's any way we bring in a short term QB who will screw up our draft picks and not make us any better so Fitzpatrick and Bridgewater are pretty much off the table. It's more likely we would bring in someone like Paxton Lynch.

That is tanking and doesn’t reflect the tone of the article you posted.  The article suggests that the team won’t spend big bucks in cap space nor trade a high draft pick to get a short term qb, but absolutely would not have a problem with an inexpensive qb winning enough game to secure the 20th draft slot. (in many ways is the absolute worst draft spot)

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 04:46:16 pm »

Won't get a halfway decent journeyman QB as that is not their future. It would take a bigger contract and they won't want to do that. Besides ... going 8-8 next year defeats what they are trying to do. They could do that with Tannehill and save the money.

Once again we seem to have a totally different opinion.  When I say they should get a halfway decent QB, I'm not talking about a guy that's going to win them games and get them to the playoffs, I'm just talking about not playing a guy like Peterman from the Bills who was a total disaster on the field.  I'm talking about getting a guy in the $1 - $5 million range, and that's MUCH cheaper than Tannehill.  Someone that actually has NFL playing experience, there are guys for that price.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was mentioned, but he may be a little more costly given last years performance.  Heck, Brock Lobster cost less than a $1 Mil last year, granted he wasn't great but at least it looks like there was a little effort put in, not just a complete tank job by starting a third string player with practically zero NFL action.  Also, you completed ignored my other point that was tied into the QB portion.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 04:54:06 pm »

You would want to see improvement so yeah a season that started 0-9 and ended 3-13 would be view differently than one that startrf 2-0 and ended 3-13.

You make a really good point here, all to often players, teams, & coaches are judged more by how a season finishes, than looking at the total of the season.  Win the last three games of the season and things all look positive for the next season.  But if you lose three down the stretch then every ones jobs are in danger and worlds are colliding.  When in fact the winning or losing often has more to do with the timing of injuries, home versus road games (with weather being an added element), and toughness of schedule, the need (or lack thereof) of your opponent needing to win to make the playoffs, and the timing of injuries to opposing teams players.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 05:05:50 pm »

You make a really good point here, all to often players, teams, & coaches are judged more by how a season finishes, than looking at the total of the season.  Win the last three games of the season and things all look positive for the next season.  But if you lose three down the stretch then every ones jobs are in danger and worlds are colliding.  When in fact the winning or losing often has more to do with the timing of injuries, home versus road games (with weather being an added element), and toughness of schedule, the need (or lack thereof) of your opponent needing to win to make the playoffs, and the timing of injuries to opposing teams players.

But if you have a rookie QB who throws 12 interceptions and 3 TD in his first 4 ganes and 1 int and 14 Tds in the final 4, it is not just optics, you are actually improving. 

I am specially talking about in a year where many key players are rookies.

Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 05:08:46 pm »

...I dont think its "real" tanking. This isnt basketball. Its much harder to do it in football. Too many jobs, careers etc. on the line to force the players to play bad. No one's gonna agree to that, plus what coach would want to join a franchise that is already talking about tanking next year, when this season isnt even over yet.
    ....if anything, Miami may not go after a QB in free agency, but still draft one maybe 2nd or 3rd round, and have him start week 1. You never know, he may turn out to be the next Russell Wilson, Foles, Brees, Brady, none of those guys were drafted in the 1st round. or Tony Romo who was undrafted!....Just because they may not take care off all their needs in one offseason doesn't mean they're gonna play bad on purpose or something like that. Too much shit on the line and nothing is guranteed for next year anyway. Basically, build new D-line, get rid of some of the biggest contracts hopefully by trade and fill in ur holes. Its perfectly normal to start a 2nd or 3rd rookie week 1 if there isnt anyone u like big enough to draft in 1st round.
....so I think its just a part of the normal process when you bring in new coaching staff and new QB., u may have to make some tough decisions and sacrifices but u still try to be the best u can. Play as good as u can with whatever u have, no one is gonna "tank" in my opinion. If anything, you simply weren't able to fill in all the holes in one offseason and thats it.
...Either way, im pretty excited to have Flores as the new coach. I've been wanting a defensive minded coach for a while. Everyone knows he's gonna upgrade that defense, mainly rebuild d-line and figure out what to do with X. Howard and R. Jones in the secondary, when it comes to their contracts. But once they get the d-line going, I wouldn't be suprised if Miami became a top 10 defense in the NFL, at least in 3 or 4 of the main categories. With good D, and good running game, there is less pressure on the QB, therefore an average QB can look like an all pro.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 05:09:17 pm »

But if you have a rookie QB who throws 12 interceptions and 3 TD in his first 4 ganes and 1 int and 14 Tds in the final 4, it is not just optics, you are actually improving. 

I am specially talking about in a year where many key players are rookies.

Agreed
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 06:50:01 am »

There's rebuilding, and there's tanking...

If we are simply not resigning expired contracts for veterans & concentrating on drafted/younger players for the future then it's definitely rebuilding, nothing more.

Trading away players for peanuts is another kettle of fish. I could (almost) understand dumping Tannehill, Stills, Parker & Jones to save the salary, it's regrettable but also a by product of the mess we got ourselves in over the last decade - but trading away someone like Xavier Howard is something else entirely, he is exactly the type of player they should keep in a rebuilding phase. If that happens you know if this is beyond a rebuild, it's an all out tank job to get to the bottom and get the top pick.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 12:59:33 pm »

Once again we seem to have a totally different opinion.  When I say they should get a halfway decent QB, I'm not talking about a guy that's going to win them games and get them to the playoffs, I'm just talking about not playing a guy like Peterman from the Bills who was a total disaster on the field.  I'm talking about getting a guy in the $1 - $5 million range, and that's MUCH cheaper than Tannehill.  Someone that actually has NFL playing experience, there are guys for that price.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was mentioned, but he may be a little more costly given last years performance.  Heck, Brock Lobster cost less than a $1 Mil last year, granted he wasn't great but at least it looks like there was a little effort put in, not just a complete tank job by starting a third string player with practically zero NFL action.  Also, you completed ignored my other point that was tied into the QB portion.
That's why I bolded the portion I was speaking about. I did the same thing here.  I don't disagree that what Armando is talkng about is rebuilding. I just don't think they are going to spend money on some mediocre QB when winning a few games doesn't help their cause. Everything is a gamble but they are looking for an elite QB and not someone who might be decent under the right circumstances.

There are several "Andrew Lucks" in the next couple of years that they have targeted. I don't see them doing anything to sabotage that in the mean time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray