Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:46:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Slow huddle vs No huddle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slow huddle vs No huddle  (Read 1077 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: February 04, 2019, 01:17:11 pm »

As most people know the advantage of the no huddle is it make it difficult for the defense to make substitutions. 

One thing that struck me from last night was they were talking about how because the coaches communications shuts off when there is 15 seconds left on the play clock, the Rams purposefully would stay in the huddle until communication shut off so that BB couldn't whisper in the ear of the linebacker instructions based on how the offensive players lined up. 

Wasn't an angle I ever considered but makes sense, particularly if you have a rookie or young linebackers.  it didn't work out for the Rams in this instance, but it is solid logic.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 01:25:36 pm »

As most people know the advantage of the no huddle is it make it difficult for the defense to make substitutions. 

One thing that struck me from last night was they were talking about how because the coaches communications shuts off when there is 15 seconds left on the play clock, the Rams purposefully would stay in the huddle until communication shut off so that BB couldn't whisper in the ear of the linebacker instructions based on how the offensive players lined up. 

Wasn't an angle I ever considered but makes sense, particularly if you have a rookie or young linebackers.  it didn't work out for the Rams in this instance, but it is solid logic.
I saw that too and was thinking the same thing. Another great observation and explanation by Romo. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:49:02 pm »

Then I read this....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/04/jared-goff-ill-try-to-learn-from-this-and-get-better/

"Among the things that threw Goff and the rest of the Rams offense was the way the Patriots defense disguised what they were doing by switching from one look to another once head coach Sean McVay’s communication to the quarterback was cut off."

Definitely a chess match.  NE would show one defense.  McVay would send in a play based on it and then once communication was cut off NE would show a different look. 

With 20-20 hindsight, I would say given Goff's inexperience, if I am the Rams, I go no huddle rather than slow huddle.  Goff needed McVay's help in reading defenses more than Hightower needed Belichicks help to read the offense.  Brady/Brees/Rodgers against an inexperienced defense slow huddle makes more sense. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:14:57 am »

Then I read this....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/04/jared-goff-ill-try-to-learn-from-this-and-get-better/

"Among the things that threw Goff and the rest of the Rams offense was the way the Patriots defense disguised what they were doing by switching from one look to another once head coach Sean McVay’s communication to the quarterback was cut off."

Definitely a chess match.  NE would show one defense.  McVay would send in a play based on it and then once communication was cut off NE would show a different look. 

With 20-20 hindsight, I would say given Goff's inexperience, if I am the Rams, I go no huddle rather than slow huddle.  Goff needed McVay's help in reading defenses more than Hightower needed Belichicks help to read the offense.  Brady/Brees/Rodgers against an inexperienced defense slow huddle makes more sense. 

The Rams defense did the exact same to the Patriots, and Brady had real problems most of the game also picking when they were in zone or man coverage. I guess that's the argument for experience triumphing when the defenses are so dominant, in a low scoring game just one or successful two drives in what is otherwise a slog and struggle can make all the difference. And it did.

Ps. No resemblance of a running threat for the Rams almost all day didn't exactly help Goff's cause either.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:43:42 am »

No resemblance of a running threat for the Rams almost all day didn't exactly help Goff's cause either.

You can blame that on McVay.   The run was working and he abandoned it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray