Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  How do you feel about Brady retiring?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How do you feel about Brady retiring?  (Read 2390 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: February 04, 2019, 01:50:03 pm »

I personally don't want him to retire.  Anything Miami does after he retires, Patriots fans will just scoff at.  That's assuming they don't get back into hiding like they were before 2001.

Then again, if the Patriots keep winning after he retires, it will lend credence to my belief that he is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the game.

Edit:

When Brady does retire, if Miami wins the division the following year, it just won't have the same good feeling it would have if they could have won it this year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:44:24 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 02:01:15 pm »

I don't care, I'm focusing on my team and what they are going to build starting today.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:03:51 pm »

I'm of the opinion that it will take Bill Belichick retiring before New England will see a slide in performance. Brady gets most of the credit, but I honestly think New England could have won the SuperBowl with Tannehill as their QB.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 02:18:28 pm »

It's all BB. Mostly BB. By a lot. It's his system that's been successful, more so than who he has to execute the system. But I'm of the same opinion as Tenshot.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 02:24:24 pm »

At some point he is going to retire, father time has an undefeated record.  

Only question is how does he exit....via an injury, does he pull a Farve and play for a different AFCE team for two years, gracefully at the end of the season, cut because although he wants to keep playing he has declined too much only time will tell.

As for patriots fans views of wins post Brady.  I don't consider Brady's success any less significant because it happened after Dan Marino retired.  If the Dolphins win the superbowl after Brady retires Miami will have the same parade if it occurs before.  

Also Patriots have been sold out every home game since 1994. So there was interest before Brady. While I am sure interest in the Patriots will wain if their success declines as it does in every market, I do expect them to keep their #3 spot behind the Red Sox and Boston Marathon in the hierarchy of Boston sports even if they are not winning the division every year.  

I agree with Pappy in part.  BB is more important than Brady...particularly going forward because Brady WILL DECLINE it is not a matter of if, but of when and how quickly, it has already started. 

But saying you could plug in Tannehill and get the same result is disingenuous.  While the score remained close the entire game, the patriots were dominating in time of possession.  And Patriots ability to maintain sustained, although ultimately unsuccessful drives early on was what allowed for the 4th quarter win, the Rams defense was worn out and the patriots defense was fresh, allowing the patriots to close out the game.   Brady 2007 > Brady 2018, but Brady 2018 > than most of the rest of the league.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 02:30:29 pm »

Brady will hang it up eventually, I just hope that he doesn't make the same mistake that so many others have, and play a year or two too long and make an ass out of himself. I hate seeing guys do that.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 02:44:31 pm »

Brady will hang it up eventually, I just hope that he doesn't make the same mistake that so many others have, and play a year or two too long and make an ass out of himself. I hate seeing guys do that.

Everything about him makes me think he isn't going to choose to retire.  And playing a year too long and making an ass of himself is real possibility.  As is him ending his career on IR.     

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:46:00 pm »

Also I moved the thread. 

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 03:52:12 pm »

He's going to keep playing for the Patriots until Kraft dies, or the Patriots miss the playoffs.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 08:02:45 am »

At some point he is going to retire, father time has an undefeated record.  

Only question is how does he exit....via an injury, does he pull a Farve and play for a different AFCE team for two years, gracefully at the end of the season, cut because although he wants to keep playing he has declined too much only time will tell.

As for patriots fans views of wins post Brady.  I don't consider Brady's success any less significant because it happened after Dan Marino retired.  If the Dolphins win the superbowl after Brady retires Miami will have the same parade if it occurs before.  

Also Patriots have been sold out every home game since 1994. So there was interest before Brady. While I am sure interest in the Patriots will wain if their success declines as it does in every market, I do expect them to keep their #3 spot behind the Red Sox and Boston Marathon in the hierarchy of Boston sports even if they are not winning the division every year.  

I agree with Pappy in part.  BB is more important than Brady...particularly going forward because Brady WILL DECLINE it is not a matter of if, but of when and how quickly, it has already started. 

Really interesting situation with Brady coming up. If he wants to retire a Superbowl winner this is the time to do it while he is on top. The Superbowl IMO reflected his season this year, not great by Brady standards of the past but it just happened to be good enough when it counted to get the win. I already see signs of decline, maybe not as extreme as Manning's last season with the Broncos but it is very reminiscent... Gronk apparently is considering his future, and I don't think they are in that different a place right now.

All that said, Brady was enthusiastic after the game, although the euphoria of a championship win can do that. Also, he may feel he owes the team to continue - it took a lot of balls to trade away both Jimmy G & Jacoby Brissett and put all their eggs in an ageing QB. He also may have an agreement to stick around until McDaniels is established as the new Head Coach for that matter. Maybe he just feels fresh enough and thinks he is playing well enough to go on, maybe Kraft has told him he can play as long as he wants. All valid reasons for him to go on until he feels differently.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 10:36:13 am »

If he wants to retire a Superbowl winner

Brady wants to retire after winning a super bowl.....just not this one.

Bradys problem is .......  any season he ends by winning a super bowl will convince him he is still good enough to keep playing.  Any season where he falls short he will want to redeem himself.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:45:04 am »

Brady wants to retire after winning a super bowl.....just not this one.

Bradys problem is .......  any season he ends by winning a super bowl will convince him he is still good enough to keep playing.  Any season where he falls short he will want to redeem himself.
And this is why he will retire after having a not successful year. He's too competitive to hang it up while he's on top IMO.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 11:16:39 am »

But saying you could plug in Tannehill and get the same result is disingenuous.  While the score remained close the entire game, the patriots were dominating in time of possession.  And Patriots ability to maintain sustained, although ultimately unsuccessful drives early on was what allowed for the 4th quarter win, the Rams defense was worn out and the patriots defense was fresh, allowing the patriots to close out the game.   Brady 2007 > Brady 2018, but Brady 2018 > than most of the rest of the league.  
It might have been a bit tougher to win the SB with Tannehill rather than Brady, but I maintain they still could have done it. Were the Rams really ever IN the game? No. Brady comes up with 1 or 2 throws a game that only Brady can make, but the rest just about any QB in the NFL can make. Now would any other QB always make the right throw? No, but Brady isn't ALWAYS right either. Remember that 1st throw in the Superbowl? He's right more often then not and he does a great job of throwing it away rather than throwing an INT, but any QB can be taught to do this when you are winning games because of your defense and running game and converting on short passes. I'm only talking Brady THIS year too. He wasn't that great of a QB THIS year. In years past he's been better, but his skills have started to decline and yet the Patriots STILL won the Superbowl. I really do think Tannehill or just about any starting QB in the league could have been inserted at QB with about the same success, maybe a short drop off. Maybe they would have lost a game or 2 here or there that they won with Brady, but lets face it Brady didn't get them to the superbowl, they got there with solid defense a good run game, a nice complementary passing game mostly because of Gronk and Edeleman and yes a couple of nice throws by Brady. Tannehill comes up with a couple nice throws every once in a while too and before he lost his 2 most dynamic WR's he was playing as well as Brady. Remember that I'm of the opinion that QB doesn't matter nearly as much as everyone thinks it does. Sure Mahomes and Brees are something special, but neither of those teams won the Superbowl. The New England Patriots won the superbowl, not Tom Brady.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:25:47 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:26:37 am »

And this is why he will retire after having a not successful year. He's too competitive to hang it up while he's on top IMO.

But I don’t think it will be by his own choice.  Injury or cut.  He will most certainly be given an opportunity to have a face saving claim it was by his own choice.   But I can not see TB saying he is done if Kraft/BB are telling him they want him to stay and tell him that he has the opportunity to earn his second CPOY award.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 11:56:47 am »

There are other QBs that could have done a better job than Brady did on Sunday night.  I don’t count Tannehill among them

Brady threw an int on the opening drive.  He had multiple drives that ended without reaching the end zone.  Yet he remained focused and never got into the desperation mode that would result in additional TOs.  And he remaned calm with 100 million people watching.  Tom Bradys ability to run and arm strength/accuracy is on a small decline.  His knowledge of when to throw the ball away rather than risk an interception only gets better with age. You can’t teach that to a QB that has never won a playoff game to be calm rather than frustrated in the two weeks leading up to the SB. 

You claim the Rams were never in it.  They weren’t out of it until very late in the 4th.  If you think that being down 3-0 is out of it, you might want to watch the SB from 2years ago.  😀

Part of what allowed TB not lose focus win IN Atlanta, came from the experience of having won over Atlanta 2 years earlier. Tannihill doesn’t have that experience and would have likely looked as lost as Goff.    I don’t think Tannihill has the poise to not get desperate after throwing an interception in the opening drive of the SB. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray