Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:18:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Are you ready for some football?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Are you ready for some football?  (Read 17186 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »

I'm not sure what news sources you read but I heard the league was short on payroll from multiple sources. It most definitely is behind an 8 ball right now. Attendance is pretty low in a few cities it seems. Think of it this way, the Orlando team, which I think can be called on of the more successful ones so far, is now renting hotel rooms until the end of the season because they have to practice in Georgia. Football is an expensive sport to operate and I personally agree that the league is not in the rosy shape you guys are portraying.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:13 am »

I'm not sure what news sources you read but I heard the league was short on payroll from multiple sources. It most definitely is behind an 8 ball right now. Attendance is pretty low in a few cities it seems. Think of it this way, the Orlando team, which I think can be called on of the more successful ones so far, is now renting hotel rooms until the end of the season because they have to practice in Georgia. Football is an expensive sport to operate and I personally agree that the league is not in the rosy shape you guys are portraying.
Not sure if you are referring to me but I never said they weren't short on payroll. I was just speaking specifically to the $250 million dollar deal made. It had been in the works for a while prior to actually taking place. Not sure if they had been counting on that or what. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 04:12:15 pm »

I left out the word guys. It was generally for anyone saying the league wasn't in trouble.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:20 am »

Ratings have dropped like a stone and CBS has relegated them to CBS Sports.   NFL Network is also broadcasting as well.   But they're no longer on broadcast TV.   

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 11:08:36 am »

Ratings have dropped like a stone and CBS has relegated them to CBS Sports.   NFL Network is also broadcasting as well.   But they're no longer on broadcast TV.   
The change to CBS Sports was always in the plan. It hasn't helped ratings but I have to know they knew that prior to the change.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2019, 11:43:14 am »

I hope that this league makes it. I enjoy it, and find it to be pretty good football, also, I like the idea of 8 months or so of football.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2019, 12:36:08 pm »

Orlando’s attendance went up for their second home game. That’s a bit surprising to me although it seems like Orlando always supports the second tier football leagues. We really would like to have our own NFL or MLB team although that will never happen.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 12:53:17 pm »

Orlando’s attendance went up for their second home game. That’s a bit surprising to me although it seems like Orlando always supports the second tier football leagues. We really would like to have our own NFL or MLB team although that will never happen.

It won't happen as long as the Bucs are in Tampa and the Jags are in Jax.   Which is why it would be a great city for Arena Football and the AAF and XFL

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2019, 01:21:19 pm »

It won't happen as long as the Bucs are in Tampa and the Jags are in Jax.   Which is why it would be a great city for Arena Football and the AAF and XFL
Arena football got boring. It's too far removed from real football. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2019, 02:51:27 pm »

I wonder if their jerseys will be collectible when the league folds after the first year. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2019, 03:45:08 pm »

I wonder if their jerseys will be collectible when the league folds after the first year. 

For most no,  for the ones that go to the NFL,  some. How much of a market is there for a Brett Farve Atlanta Falcon’s jersey? 

Come to think of it that could make for an interesting way to collect memorabilia.  Farve Falcons jersey, autographed photo of Wes Welker in a chargers practice squad uniform. etc.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2019, 04:38:18 pm »

For most no,  for the ones that go to the NFL,  some. How much of a market is there for a Brett Farve Atlanta Falcon’s jersey? 

Come to think of it that could make for an interesting way to collect memorabilia.  Farve Falcons jersey, autographed photo of Wes Welker in a chargers practice squad uniform. etc.

My minor league (I never got above Single A league) baseball card is worth 3 cents.  I'm pretty sure it is only worth 3 cents because that is the recycle value of the card stock it was printed on.  It did used to impress girls when I was young and single.  So I had that going for me.  I suppose I could autograph them which might bump up the value to 3.5 cents.   Grin
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2019, 05:01:34 pm »

My minor league (I never got above Single A league) baseball card is worth 3 cents.  I'm pretty sure it is only worth 3 cents because that is the recycle value of the card stock it was printed on.  It did used to impress girls when I was young and single.  So I had that going for me.  I suppose I could autograph them which might bump up the value to 3.5 cents.   Grin

Not the equivalent to a Farve Atlanta jersey.  I bet a Jeter Greensboro hornets card has some value above 3 cents. 

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »

That's pretty cool you have a baseball card
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 05:02:27 pm »

So like 10 million of your cards for for one Tom Brady....http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26085474/rare-tom-brady-rookie-card-sells-400k-auction

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray