Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Are you ready for some football?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Are you ready for some football?  (Read 17174 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 10:05:35 pm »

they do that in rugby replays, you hear the refs discuss with the VAR,
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:34 pm »

The AAF championship is April  27th. I don't see the NFL throwing any guaranteed money because they will be done in plenty of time to go to camp.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:19 am »

The AAF championship is April  27th. I don't see the NFL throwing any guaranteed money because they will be done in plenty of time to go to camp.

That is true.  But lets say after 6 weeks you know you want player X.  You know two other teams are looking at him as well.  Rather than wait and risk them offering him something first you spend 50k to get him now.

I am not thinking this is going to happen to dozens of players, but a handful of players could have such a breakout season that people scratch their heads and say, why is he in the AAF and not the NFL. 

I doubt their is a wide receiver of Randy Moss caliber in the AAF, but their might be one of the Wes Welker/Julian Edelman level. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:26 pm »

I'm going to try and catch some of the games this weekend. I hope I like it, and am not too disappointed with the play. I think I'd be more excited about this if I had a local team. I think the closest team to Boston is in Memphis? Maybe I'll be an Orlando fan. I like Steve Spurrier.  I hate to say it, and I'm embarrassed to, but I think my AAF team ofchoice may come down to what team's uniforms I like best. I have no idea. But saying go Iron, or yay hotshots doesn't quite feel right.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 06:15:56 pm »

That's the weekend of the NFL Draft.  Teams could then sign AAF players along with the UDFAs. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 06:44:07 pm »

That's the weekend of the NFL Draft.  Teams could then sign AAF players along with the UDFAs. 
AAF players are under 3 year contracts. I'm not sure what the contracts actually say but it may not allow for them to move to another league without some sort of buyout. The heads that put this league together are very NFL experienced so I can't see them screwing themselves from the get go. .

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:37 pm »

AAF players are under 3 year contracts. I'm not sure what the contracts actually say but it may not allow for them to move to another league without some sort of buyout. The heads that put this league together are very NFL experienced so I can't see them screwing themselves from the get go. .

They are branding themselves as a development league.  If the do anything to inhibit players going to the NFL they will have trouble attracting players.  These guys primary goal is to get noticed by an NFL team.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 07:37:14 pm »

They have three year contracts, but if they get an offer from an NFL team, they are allowed to break the contract. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 09:53:06 pm »

They have three year contracts, but if they get an offer from an NFL team, they are allowed to break the contract. 
Yes ... I read that after I made that post. Their goal is to work with the NFL so it makes sense.

Players can leave the league, which is set to kick off Feb. 9, to go to the NFL. Polian said it's currently unclear whether a player's rights will revert back to the AAF after a three-year period expires or if the clock stops ticking on a team's three-year rights when a player gets "called up" to the big time.

Salaries will be in line with AAF competitor the XFL, which has said it will pay players an average of $75,000 per season. That league launches in 2020.

Polian said a contract will include state-of-the-industry health insurance

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 07:36:52 pm »

The Apollos won again in a wild comeback against San Antonio!!!    Down 29-17 going into the 4th quarter, they scored 20 unanswered points!!!   The run game was stifled all game long until the end but Gilbert torched the Commanders secondary for 393 yards passing.   This team is for real!!!

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 05:59:41 pm »

Turns out this new league was teetering on the brink of insolvency.   The owner of the Carolina Hurricanes plunked down $250 million to keep it going.  Additionally, despite Bill Pollan's claim that the players will have state of the art insurance coverage, the Apollos will have to practice in the state of Georgia due to Florida laws on Workman's Comp and they could not find an insurance company to cover them.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:57:16 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 06:30:17 pm »

So basically, don’t get too attached to the AAF.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 06:37:39 pm »

The league was not on the brink of insolvency.  Rather a billionaire was so impressed with week 1 he decided to invest in the league.  It is now virtually impossiblle for the league not to survive for several years as it has enough cash on hand to pay it bills even with zero income for a couple of years.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 07:42:20 pm »

The league was not on the brink of insolvency.  Rather a billionaire was so impressed with week 1 he decided to invest in the league.  It is now virtually impossible for the league not to survive for several years as it has enough cash on hand to pay it bills even with zero income for a couple of years.
Talking heads were saying today that this had been in the works and he didn't just all of a sudden plop 250 million down because they didn't make payroll. So far it seems like people are responding to the league so regardless of some hiccups ... it's been doing ok.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 09:58:58 pm »

and it's pretty entertaining. and way better football than the college stuff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray