Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:45:31 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  WTH is up with blackface?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: WTH is up with blackface?  (Read 3220 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:31:24 pm »

Personally I don't see it an issue if a white person is dressing up like a black character but i understand it is offensive. Regardless .... what the heck is up with all these politicians having their pics brought up wearing blackface? Maybe it's a Sanford thing but I'll be 50 this year and I've never seen or had anyone I know wear blackface and I know some serious racists in my time.  It just seems odd to me.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:35:20 am »

I’ve never gone in blackface but I could see myself having done it when I was young, not realizing the cultural taboo and history of it.  I don’t think it should end a career.  But like most things, these things have context.  And if you backtrack or lie about it, it shows that you’re shitty.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:36:59 am »

I dressed up as Urkel as a kid for Halloween, but everyone thought I was dressed as a stereotypical nerd.  That's because I'm white and there was no way in hell I was going to darken my skin.  It didn't even come up, even as a kid I knew that was wrong.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:08:50 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:18 am »

If a 10 year long old did it, I would question the parents.  And even a college kid I might go he was just dumb and culturally unaware.  No excuse not to know better as a med school grad.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:20:44 am »

I think there is a huge difference between dressing up as Michael Jackson by also painting yourself darker and blackface in my opinion but people seem hell bent on trying to make them the same.  I don't see an issue with blacks pretending to be white ... like the movie White Chicks.

This is the definition of blackface I found online and why I feel they are different issues. Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person. The practice gained popularity during the 19th century and contributed to the spread of racial stereotypes such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon". In my opinion if this is something you are doing you have issues. I honestly don't get it but if it something you did in your past and have grown out of it then just own it and apologize.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:22:33 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:41:54 am »

It really all depends on what you're trying to portray.   

Using it to portray being filthy like a chimney sweep (Mary Poppins) should not be deemed offensive.

Using it on combat missions to blend into the foliage like some of my friends who were military have done should not be deemed offensive.   

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 10:25:10 am »

I think there is a huge difference between dressing up as Michael Jackson by also painting yourself darker and blackface in my opinion but people seem hell bent on trying to make them the same.  

At this point in time everyone should be aware of the racist overtones of blackface enough  to avoid it.  It is like the confederate flag, if you are displaying it you are not unaware that it is a racist symbol.  You just don’t have a problem with being racist.

And while you can make a case that some dressing as michael jackson or Urkel was doing it innocently to honor someone the admire.  You can’t make that argument if the other person in the photo has a hood.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 02:01:11 pm »

At this point in time everyone should be aware of the racist overtones of blackface enough  to avoid it.  It is like the confederate flag, if you are displaying it you are not unaware that it is a racist symbol.  You just don’t have a problem with being racist offending people who see it as racist.

And while you can make a case that some dressing as michael jackson or Urkel was doing it innocently to honor someone the admire.  You can’t make that argument if the other person in the photo has a hood.
You just don’t have a problem with being racist offending people who see it as racist. I think this would better fit the person flying the Confederate flag. Please don't forget ... many blacks still fly it as well.

The rest I agree with .

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 02:55:33 pm »

You just don’t have a problem with being racist offending people who see it as racist. I think this would better fit the person flying the Confederate flag. Please don't forget ... many blacks still fly it as well.

The rest I agree with .
I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

If white people want to pretend to be black and black people want to pretend to be white. Fine, fuck em. If Rachel Dolezal and Shaun King want to fake being black and Elizabeth Warren wants to pretend to be an Indian. Fine, fuck them too.

Likewise, if some idiot wants to paint his face black and you get offended. Fuck them and you. YOU are the one with the issue. World full of pussies.....

TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:14:26 am »

oh PLEASE.....this clown was just a figurehead for the greatest defensive coaching mind in the history of the game.  everyone knows billy B runs the show, and this idiot was just holding the clipboard on the sidelines.  yeah, check us fins out, we got a great up and coming coord from NE!  HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES HAVE YOU HEARD THAT BEFORE FROM OTHER TEAMS?!?!  kill me now, I am finally finished with this team for good.....thank you for giving me the sweet release i have so long craved.  this will be my last post on the site (dave, please deleted my 15+ year old account), i will see you suckers in the next life.  peace!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:37:43 am »

^Wrong thread.  Last post fail lol.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 01:36:26 pm »

Hilarious.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 01:43:40 pm »

Rage Quit

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:04:36 pm »

I am just here to relish a Dolphin fan admit

the greatest defensive coaching mind in the history of the game. ....   billy B

Some of you guys are still holding on to Don Shula as the GOAT. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »

Who peed in Bag of Donuts' cereal? hahaha ... he is so upset about the new coach he doesn't even know where he is posting.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray