Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:03:40 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Brian Flores and a New Beginning
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Brian Flores and a New Beginning  (Read 4132 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:40 am »

I am cautiously optimistic, not just about Flores but also having Caldwell on board as an assistant. I really like the idea of having an experienced senior assistant as a possible mentor for a rookie coach.

Gase did some good things here in clearing out trash that should have gone years ago, but there was also the feeling on game day he was really in the deep end and way over his head, either stranded without help or just too arrogant to look for/accept it. I am hoping it's a bit like McDaniels stint at Denver, while his time there was generally pretty horrible he did plant a few seeds that were built on by smarter coaches to eventually turn into a Superbowl winning team. I guess I can dream...

Ps. The really cynical folk out there can also point out that if we really are going to tank it next year, Caldwell should be a great guide after his successful Suck for Luck campaign.  Tongue Grin
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 10:43:04 am »

that guy too

I think we will find out very quickly whether Flores is any good, pretty much before the season starts.  If he treats players like disposable baby wipes, immediately ships out MIA's best talent, and regards the media as poisonous vipers who should be dealt with only when necessary, he will be a complete failure (like everyone else from the House of Belichick).
Regardless of talent ... if they are not a team first person then yes, they will be gone. As well ... when good players are looking to get top money off their second contracts then they will be gone. Listening to him on Joe Rose this morning he seems like he is very much looking to mold the team after the way the Patriots do things. he thinks the same way and why he has worked so well. It's completely a Team First philosophy and no free lancing.

“I think changing the culture, there could be some resistance,” Flores told ProFootballTalk. “We’ll work through that. We’ll do the things that we think are necessary to help this team improve. We’ll do that on a day-to-day basis.”

They signed him to a 5 year deal.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:24:57 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 06:12:07 pm »

I am cautiously optimistic, not just about Flores but also having Caldwell on board as an assistant. I really like the idea of having an experienced senior assistant as a possible mentor for a rookie coach.

Gase did some good things here in clearing out trash that should have gone years ago, but there was also the feeling on game day he was really in the deep end and way over his head, either stranded without help or just too arrogant to look for/accept it. I am hoping it's a bit like McDaniels stint at Denver, while his time there was generally pretty horrible he did plant a few seeds that were built on by smarter coaches to eventually turn into a Superbowl winning team. I guess I can dream...

Ps. The really cynical folk out there can also point out that if we really are going to tank it next year, Caldwell should be a great guide after his successful Suck for Luck campaign.  Tongue Grin

Where did this ridiculous tanking idea come from?

Miami has been in the playoff race each of the last three years.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:06:41 pm »

You guys have some sort of requirement that all coaches must have some connection to the Patriots? 

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1093174159016902657

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 01:58:17 pm »

that guy too

I think we will find out very quickly whether Flores is any good, pretty much before the season starts.  If he treats players like disposable baby wipes, immediately ships out MIA's best talent, and regards the media as poisonous vipers who should be dealt with only when necessary, he will be a complete failure (like everyone else from the House of Belichick).

That might be an oversimplification.  I think some of O’Brians problem is he is trying to bring a winning culture to a team with a team that is okay with losing.

Practing at 100% and staying late to watch game film so you can work until February is not preferable to practicing at 70%, partying with hot women, coming to practice hungover and starting vacation at the end of December to some guys.  They are being paid millions they want to enjoy it.  A hard nosed coach comes in they rebell doesn’t mean the coach is wrong. 

So I do expect Flores to get rid of talented slackers.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 03:57:36 pm »

So I do expect Flores to get rid of talented slackers.

Gase started this already: while admittedly overall I didn't rate him much as a coach, I do give him credit for cleaning out some of the trash that was poisoning the Dolphins culture and ultimately has been one factor holding us back.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 05:52:08 pm »

I could be wrong, but the one impression I seem to get from Flores is that he actually wants to "coach" players, not just draw up plays and expect the players to execute them.  This is something that seems to be lacking from the last few regimes.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 08:37:43 am »

From PFT

New Dolphins coach Brian Flores told reporters on Monday that he’ll be himself. On Tuesday, Flores shed some light on what being himself will entail.

“They should expect someone who is demanding,” Flores said on PFT Live. “Someone who’s just going to be honest and try to tell the truth on a day-to-day basis. I like to get out in front of things and be transparent. But definitely demanding. Definitely someone who is going to try to get the best out of everyone.

“You know, I try to get the best out of everyone I come across. I have this written on my wall here. ‘What can I do to help you succeed?’ That’s kind of my goal here is to help everyone in the building succeed. That’s players, that’s coaches, equipment [personnel], that’s media, pubic relations. If I can, I want to impact lives. That’s why I went into coaching. That’s what you’re going to get.”

That’s a good thing to get, even if it will entail some resistance from folks who may not like a demanding style. Those folks likely won’t last long under Flores, either choosing to leave or eventually being asked to.

Regardless, it’s a style that Flores has shaped over the course of his 37 years, 15 of which came in a wide variety of roles with the Patriots. Given his experiences there, he could be one of the members of the Belichick tree best suited to thrive on his own

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »

I realize TonyBOD isn't too happy  .... or at least the blackface thread made him say so ... but correct me if I'm wrong but he is the first coach to have other Patriot coaches follow him? Seems like they have more confidence in him than waiting their turn in New England .

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 03:03:20 pm »

The people he is surrounding himself with is exciting enough for me.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 03:27:49 pm »

I realize TonyBOD isn't too happy  .... or at least the blackface thread made him say so ... but correct me if I'm wrong but he is the first coach to have other Patriot coaches follow him? Seems like they have more confidence in him than waiting their turn in New England .

I don't think so.  I don't recall exactly who went with who.  But I do recall threads on the Patriots boards bemoaning about new head coaches poaching assistants, scouts etc.  I know Eric Mangini was recruiting coaches on the plane home from the lose at Denver.  I don't recall if anyone went with him or not. 

I am not sure what to make of his departure being so harmonious given that it was to a divisional rival.   Other than Eric Managini all of BB's ex assistants left the division.  And that was the only one that was contentious. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 06:18:44 am »

I don't think so.  I don't recall exactly who went with who.  But I do recall threads on the Patriots boards bemoaning about new head coaches poaching assistants, scouts etc.  I know Eric Mangini was recruiting coaches on the plane home from the lose at Denver.  I don't recall if anyone went with him or not. 

I am not sure what to make of his departure being so harmonious given that it was to a divisional rival.   Other than Eric Managini all of BB's ex assistants left the division.  And that was the only one that was contentious. 
IF BB is only here for a short time then he wouldn't really care. In fact .. if he retires and New England flops with Josh it only adds to the BB legend.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray