Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Were the Dolphins a playoff contender last year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Were the Dolphins a playoff contender last year?  (Read 1850 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: February 08, 2019, 01:59:38 pm »

Just curious as to how you define what a playoff contender is.

I think they were because they were not eliminated until the second to last week of the regular season. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:46:16 pm »

If that's the case, then they were a playoff contender.   Big difference between being a playoff contender and a championship contender.   

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:57:29 pm »

I would day if in the last two weeks you have a realistic shot.  Win plus one other team lose you are in the hunt.  Win plus 3 other team must lose, then you aren't really in it even if mathematically possible.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:07:05 pm »

To simply answer the OP I would say no they were not a contender because they didn't make the playoffs.

IMO a playoff "contender" indicates a team that will make the playoffs, and have a reasonable chance of winning a playoff game.

However, the OP follows up his contender statement, with the timing of being eliminated from the possibility of making the playoffs, which I regard as something totally different.

To that statement I would ask "when does the playoff hunt begin?"  Is it two weeks left? three? four?

IMO to be truly considered in the hunt, you need to control your own destiny...win out and your in.  Some seasons there may be some exceptions, such as a team going 11-5 and not making the playoffs; but a 9 win season doesn't cut it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 06:52:01 pm »

If you aren't eliminated before week 17 starts, you're definitely contending.  If you aren't eliminated by the start of week 16 and you're in the 8 seed or higher (or the division is still in play) you're contending.  If neither of those are the case, you're not in contention.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:10 pm »

IMO to be truly considered in the hunt, you need to control your own destiny...win out and your in.  Some seasons there may be some exceptions, such as a team going 11-5 and not making the playoffs; but a 9 win season doesn't cut it.

I think control your own destiny is a bit too strict. 

Let say week 17 you need to win and one of three games need to go your way....I would say you are still in contention, even though you don’t control your own destiny.  OTOH, you need to win and 3 out of 3 other games need to go your way then you really aren’t in contention — you are praying for a miracle.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:13:26 pm »

So basically, you're saying that a team that "really isn't in contention" for the playoffs can still make the playoffs?  That's a strange definition of "contention."

If you are not eliminated, you have to be in contention for the playoffs.  Otherwise it's a useless term.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:41 am »

So basically, you're saying that a team that "really isn't in contention" for the playoffs can still make the playoffs?  That's a strange definition of "contention."

If you are not eliminated, you have to be in contention for the playoffs.  Otherwise it's a useless term.

I am going with realistic contention.  If we go with not mathematical eliminated then the Jets were still in contention up until like week 13

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »

At the beginning of week 1, every team is in both mathematical and realistic playoff contention.

I just don't like the idea of saying that the Colts were not in "realistic playoff contention" at 1-5 when they actually made the playoffs.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 08:48:42 am »

I think the bigger question is, What does it matter if they were a playoff contender    They didn't make the playoffs.  To me that is the only thing I care about. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 05:42:43 pm »

I think the bigger question is, What does it matter if they were a playoff contender    They didn't make the playoffs.  To me that is the only thing I care about. 

I think the underlying notion (at least for me) is that if the Dolphins were considered a "playoff contender" last year, then why the need to go into full on rebuilding mode.  If they were a contender then just try and add the two or three needed players to get them over the hump and into the playoffs.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »

I think the underlying notion (at least for me) is that if the Dolphins were considered a "playoff contender" last year, then why the need to go into full on rebuilding mode.  If they were a contender then just try and add the two or three needed players to get them over the hump and into the playoffs.

Good point, I'll go along with that. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray