Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:57:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Who's taking the Apex Legends leap?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who's taking the Apex Legends leap?  (Read 3090 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: February 11, 2019, 04:09:42 pm »

Downloaded it on Friday for the PC and played a bit over the weekend. My thoughts are that's it's clearly the most polished of the Battle Royale games. Seems like they will need more servers as already over the weekend there were server issues with being able to join a game. I got to be honest, I suck at these games as I'm not really a competitive person by nature when it comes to video games, I would much rather play a single player game and enjoy at my leisure rather than have to deal with teammates, but I'm having fun so far. Been playing with my son and grandson who are both way better then I am at these games. So far they have been pretty nice, but it won't be long before they are looking for a better teammate. Smiley

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:11 am »

I am kinda dug in with Fortnite and it's what my group plays.  I don't really like the visual style of Apex, but I may give it a shot.  Do you like it?

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:50 am »

This is one of the best BR's ever done. It's incredibly fun. We've all switched from Blackout to this version.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »

It's obviously the most polished BR that I've seen but I just don't care for these types of games that much because I suck so bad at them. I feel sorry for the team that gets me. I've been playing with my son and grandson so as to avoid the criticism, but its embarrasing how bad I am at this game. I changed the field of view from 90 to 70 last night to "zoom in" the view a bit so that maybe I would be able to hit something while firing while sacrificing a bit of peripheral vision. Seemed to work a bit. Maybe I just need some time to play and maybe I'm playing with the wrong people because my son played Counterstrike for years (competitively) and my grandson plays Overwatch (competitively) and Fortnite so maybe I'm just trash compared to them, but then again when I play with others seems to be about the same level of incompetence. I just wish in games like this there was a way to play against bots or something to kinda get the feel of the game before being thrust into competitive matches. I did that with Overwatch and didn't feel nearly as inept as I do in this game.

I will say that it took my grandson about a day to get used to the game and he is a pretty avid Fortnite fan but now he loves it. The biggest difference I see talked about is the time it takes to kill someone. In this game (unless it's me) one guy is not going to be able take you out easily, it typically takes a team to eliminate you. You can only play in squads of 3 and it does require teamwork to win, so there's less of that "lone wolf" mentality in this game which I personally like.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:50:40 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:25:26 pm »

Some of my squad is pushing to play this.  I downloaded but haven't tried yet. 

I'm concerned that in order for these games to be fun, you have to really be good.  And I can't be good, because I'm old and my reaction time and vision isn't going to match a 21 year old.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 02:40:21 pm »

Some of my squad is pushing to play this.  I downloaded but haven't tried yet. 

I'm concerned that in order for these games to be fun, you have to really be good.  And I can't be good, because I'm old and my reaction time and vision isn't going to match a 21 year old.
If you give it a try and find you're struggling with trying to hit things, you can try one thing that helped a bit for me. Lower the Field of view settings from 90 to the lowest it will go which is 70. You will lose some peripheral vision, but you will also essentially zoom in a bit and make everything look bigger. I don't think it really makes it much easier to hit things because things are going to appear to move faster, but at least you will see them. I had a hard time even seeing what others were shooting at. I have zero percent chance of hitting it if I can't see it. If I can see it at least theoretically I can hit it. Smiley

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »

Tangentially related: Fortnite made a pretty big change last week.  If you kill someone, it automatically gives you 50 health/shield (whatever you need).  This means that better players live longer, because you can't really catch someone weak after a fight and kill them as easily.

The endgame is now way harder, because it's good players, rather than a few campers and hiders and stuff.

One thing I liked about Fortnite was that while it was definitely skill-based, I feel that based on luck/circumstance/conservative play-style, even the worst player in the lobby had a chance to win.  It was a slim chance, but it could happen.  That really isn't the case anymore.  It's good news for the better players, but in BR games, I'm not sure that's the preferred outcome.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray