Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Here’s Jimmy Johnson’s multi-step guide as the Dolphins begin their rebuilding
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Here’s Jimmy Johnson’s multi-step guide as the Dolphins begin their rebuilding  (Read 3804 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:49:28 pm »

Nice interview with Jimmy Johnson in regards to the Dolphins. BTW .... He's pretty high on the new Hurricanes head coach.

BY BARRY JACKSON
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article226200710.html

As the Dolphins begin their rebuilding program, there’s no better authority on the process than Jimmy Johnson, who traded Herschel Walker for a treasure trove of draft picks and built a 1-15 Dallas Cowboys team into a multi-time Super Bowl champion.

In a phone conversation this week, Johnson offered a half dozen helpful tips as the Dolphins embark on this process:

▪ Don’t necessarily succumb to the temptation to draft 5-10 Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray.

“Kyler Murray is the kind of player who can take you to the playoffs or can be hurt his second game,” Johnson said. “He is exciting and a great college player, but he is undersized and a big part of his game is mobility and mobile quarterbacks in the NFL don’t last very long. But he is great player and exciting. It would be a tough call for me for the long haul. I would be hesitant.”

▪ Pick Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa over Oregon’s Justin Herbert if you have the choice of those two quarterbacks high in the 2020 draft, assuming the quarterback need isn’t filled in the 2019 draft.

“Tua looks big time to me,” Johnson said. “Herbert I’m not nearly as excited about as I am with Tua.”

Nevertheless, Johnson wouldn’t automatically delay the quarterback decision a year if there’s someone really, really good available in this April’s draft.

“It depends on who is available,” Johnson said. “If you think they can win for you, [take one]. Putting it off a year is one thing — I don’t know if that’s the way to go if the right guy is there.”

▪ Be open to trading down for extra picks, but don’t bypass a player you love.

“I traded for extra picks only when there wasn’t a player there I desperately wanted,” he said. “My whole philosophy was there was a group of players I wanted but I wanted to take them at the right spot. And if the pick was too high for a player I wanted, I would trade down and get extra picks. But if there was a player there I wanted, I was going to take him.

“You don’t go into it thinking I’m going to trade down to get more picks. That’s foolish to bypass a great player just because you’re building for the future. If a great player is not there, you move down.”

▪ Get your salary cap situation fixed at the start of this process.

“They’ve got to get the cap in shape,” Johnson said. “We were so far over the cap when I first went to the Dolphins that I couldn’t keep quality players. I couldn’t keep Troy Vincent and Bryan Cox and Irving Fryar. I would love to have kept them but we were so far over the cap I couldn’t do it. I had to get the cap in good shape before we started building something. We started six or seven rookies. We were able to win eight games doing it that way. We were in playoffs from then on.”

▪ Delay paying good money for quality veteran free agents until you’re further along in this process, perhaps in a year or two.

“You’ve got to get some quality players and don’t overpay for them,” he said. “The Dolphins have overpaid for some very good players but not great players. You don’t overpay.”

▪ Prioritize certain positions.

“Starting quarterback, backup quarterback and pass rushers,” Johnson said.

He agrees that it’s helpful to have defensive tackles who can rush the quarterback in today’s game but said “you can get away” without that if you can puss rush from other positions.

What about offensive tackles? He places them a bit lower on his priority list, saying “that depends on the quarterback” because some quarterbacks with escapability and good pocket presence and instincts can thrive even without an elite offensive line.

Johnson — who went from 1-15 in his first year in Dallas to 7-9, 11-5 and then two Super Bowl winning seasons in years four and five — said he didn’t have enough information to give an opinion on whether the Dolphins should try to extend their best players — potential spring 2020 free agents Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard — or trade them for draft picks. The Dolphins are expected to make attempts to keep both, though Howard could be put in play if the sides cannot agree on money.

Johnson said “I don’t like tanking” as a general approach and that there’s a distinction between rebuilding and trying to be bad the first year in order to secure a high pick. “I never wanted to be bad — I just wanted to get the cap in good shape.”

But Johnson understands what the Dolphins are doing.

“The fallacy in the NFL is every team says I am one or two players away,” he said.

The Dolphins finally realize they’re not.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06:52 am »

I don't think that every team thinks they are 1 or 2 players away, but they all try to put the best team on the field they can hoping that at some point they will have the team. I think it's a very tough thing to do to just say well blow it up and start over and I don't think every team that's not 2 players away should do that. There's absolutely NO guarantee that blowing it up and starting over will result in a better team faster then simply adding a piece or 2 every year. That's the fallacy in my opinion.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:28:34 am »

I don't think that every team thinks they are 1 or 2 players away, but they all try to put the best team on the field they can hoping that at some point they will have the team. I think it's a very tough thing to do to just say well blow it up and start over and I don't think every team that's not 2 players away should do that. There's absolutely NO guarantee that blowing it up and starting over will result in a better team faster then simply adding a piece or 2 every year. That's the fallacy in my opinion.

Agree with that.  But no point in keeping a very expensive vet that if this isn’t your year.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 12:46:17 pm »

Agree with that.  But no point in keeping a very expensive vet that if this isn’t your year.
Agree. But you have to have SOMEBODY competant to play QB. You can't just go into the year with nothing but backups. That's a disservice to your team as well as a hinderance to actually being able to evaluate your team.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:32:26 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:40 pm »

Advice from one of the people who I hold responsible for the past 2 decades of the Dolphins’ futility. No thanks.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:15:39 am »

Advice from one of the people who I hold responsible for the past 2 decades of the Dolphins’ futility. No thanks.

THANK YOU!!!![

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:18:23 am by hordman » Logged

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:50 am »

Jimmy actually left the team in great shape. Just how did he make us mediocre for the last 20 years?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 11:12:07 am »

He sold me with the first item on the list. Whoever drafts Murray will be sorry.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:36 am »

He sold me with the first item on the list. Whoever drafts Murray will be sorry.
Don't let Jimmy make himself sound too smart. He also drafted Steve Walsh with the 2nd overall pick in the supplemental draft in 1989 after already having drafted Troy Aikman number 1 overall in the 1989 draft. He was none too sure that Aikman was a hall of famer when he drafted him and actually preferred Walsh over Aikman initially. Jimmy had no issues with taking a flyer on QB Steve Walsh in '89. Maybe it was that failed decision that led him to the now current thinking that Kyler Murray is too small. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:42:22 am by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 02:52:45 pm »

^^^ I fail to see how him taking his own college QB and allowing an actual QB competition to ensue as a bad thing. No one makes all the best picks but the good ones do it more than not. I only wish someone would have found us another Jason (HOFer) and Zach (Should be HOFer) since Jimmy left. 

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 02:53:50 pm »

He still drafted multiple hall of famers.  You're being overly critical.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 02:57:48 pm »

^^^ I fail to see how him taking his own college QB and allowing an actual QB competition to ensue as a bad thing. No one makes all the best picks but the good ones do it more than not. I only wish someone would have found us another Jason (HOFer) and Zach (Should be HOFer) since Jimmy left.  
I'm just saying that even the mighty JJ hedged his bets and he already had the number 1 overall draft pick as his QB. It's fine for him to say that he would be leary of taking Kyler Murray in the 1st round no one is questioning that but let's not make Jimmy a draft guru or anything. Some things worked out for him and some didn't, that's the nature of the beast. You can always take Murray in the 1st round this year and take another QB in the 1st round next year if it doesn't work out. Jimmy did it and he did it without seeing Aikman play a down in the NFL and it worked out ok for him.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:00:07 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 03:08:07 pm »

let's not make Jimmy a draft guru or anything
I think it's too late for that! Hahahaa .... Although changed a bit ... his draft chart is still used by many teams.  Not only is he highly respected by those around the league but I can't think of anyone more imitated for drafting based on his chart.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 04:28:13 pm »

He still drafted multiple hall of famers.  You're being overly critical.
I tend to look at it a little more like he coached multiple players into being hall of famers. Ask yourself this question...If Jimmy drafted them but someone else coached them would they have still made the hall of fame? It's an interesting question.

You do know that Jimmy drafted Zach on the advice of special teams coach Mike Westhoff who was sent to Texas Tech to scout for potential special teams players. He didn't even draft him till the 5th round because he thought the had potential to be a special teams guy and possible backup LB. He didn't know that Zach would become a potential hall of fame player when he drafted him. I think you are giving him too much credit for his drafting prowess and probably not enough credit for being one hell of a good coach who coached him into being a potential hall of famer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:53:51 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:12 am »

^^^^I think that is overly critical.  Nobody else saw Zach potential either otherwise he wouldn’t have been available in the 5th. 

I give kuddos for drafting a HoF player late in the draft, rather than criticize for not using a higher draft pick. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray